Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Executive orders banning entry to US ... [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Executive orders banning entry to US ... [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:38 am
m44

Programs: USAir
Originally Posted by TiberiusOnTime
Yes because a lot of these visas were issued improperly without the proper due diligence having been done. Keep in mind immigration to the USA is a PRIVILEGE. There are people denied entry on a daily basis who have visas in hand, from all over the world.
<deleted by moderator>.
There was never in history as extreme vetting of immigrant visas normal visas and even US citizens as established after 9/11 by Bush and Obama!
<deleted by moderator>.
Boarder ban is not a solution for better vetting - <deleted by moderator>.
After you get the immigrant visa your immigration is the RIGHT, not just a privilege.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 14, 2017 at 9:25 am Reason: OMNI/PR
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:37 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

OK, we are once again venturing into OMNI/PR territory.

Please take your political commentaries there (access to OMNI is restricted to members who have been on FlyerTalk for 180 days and posted 180 messages).

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by GUWonder

The EO subjected to the TRO is also to be rewritten from scratch to get a travel ban in place that may get around issues with the Courts that hit this EO.
Sounds like the administration really sees value in restarting a "ban" on certain categories rather than simply jumping ahead to the "extreme vetting" that they've promised to implement in 72 days or so, going by the original 90-day countdown announced in the 1/27 order. Is there any information (speculation?) on when we might get a sense of who they're going to come after on the new order? Last Friday I was under the impression that we'd have a new order announced by today at the latest, though I don't see anything that looks like this on today's White House schedule.

This uncertainty is really placing a lot of stress on my family, as I'm sure it is for other blacklisted applicants with March appointment dates...
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:02 am

Yup, the fact is that they could still be implementing their "Extreme Vetting" scheme to be completed within the 90 days of the original ban, rendering the entire rationale behind the proposed ban invalid.

Of course, that would render the entire rational behind the proposed ban invalid... ... ...
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by m44
After you get the immigrant visa your immigration is the RIGHT, not just a privilege.
The above statement shows a misunderstanding of what a visa is. A visa is merely documentary evidence of permission having been granted to travel to a point of entry into the United States to then request admission into the United States under the specified conditions of the visa. Just as permission can be granted it can be rescinded. There is no "right" to the visa. Nor does the visa grant a right to admission. Admission into a country is subject to an entirely different review and determination.

In the US, the only "right" that attaches to the permission is that of due process - i.e., once the permission has been given, the government must follow its process in rescinding the permission - it cannot just be arbitrarily taken away.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Section 107
The above statement shows a misunderstanding of what a visa is. A visa is merely documentary evidence of permission having been granted to travel to a point of entry into the United States to then request admission into the United States under the specified conditions of the visa. Just as permission can be granted it can be rescinded. There is no "right" to the visa. Nor does the visa grant a right to admission. Admission into a country is subject to an entirely different review and determination.

In the US, the only "right" that attaches to the permission is that of due process - i.e., once the permission has been given, the government must follow its process in rescinding the permission - it cannot just be arbitrarily taken away.
I wouldn't be so sure that due process is the only right that attaches to some or all immigrant visas. Even for some non-immigrant visas, I wouldn't be all that sure.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum Elite
While I feel for Persians who are currently caught up in this situation, <deleted by moderator>. They have and are one of the largest state sponsors of terrorist groups. Perhaps they should be less concerned about our immigration policies and more concerned about getting their own internal house in order. <deleted by moderator>.

Where I live, SoCal, we have a large and vibrant Persian population. But be that as it may, Iran is our geopolitical enemy...both in word and deed. Entry and immigration to America is not a global right. It is a national privilege.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 15, 2017 at 9:06 am Reason: OMNI/PR
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Guilty by "association" with a country invites a ban? No thank you.

Note that the EO didn't place a ban on citizens of Russia. Nor would I have it that ordinary Russian citizens -- dual or otherwise -- with US residency rights and/or US immigration or non-immigration visiting rights/allowances -- be banned merely because of the actions of the Russian government or other Russian elements with whom many Russians with US travel allowances may not even necessarily identify with beyond having a nationality/ethnic/ethno-religious connection in common.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
I'm still getting a feel for what is "policy debate" and what is OMNI/PR, so I'll try to respond as delicately as possible. There's a lot here, much of which is predicated on perceptions of events that are subject to debate in policy circles, so I'll focus on what I'm reading as the main arguments - that the blanket ban is a useful political tool in dealing with Iran, and that private interests in immigration matters are outweighed by the President's policy priorities.

Originally Posted by edyang
While I feel for Persians who are currently caught up in this situation... they have and are one of the largest state sponsors of terrorist groups. Perhaps they should be less concerned about our immigration policies and more concerned about getting their own internal house in order.
If I'm reading correctly, you seem to be advancing a novel argument that a blanket ban was actually intended to be part of an unofficial tit-for-tat realpolitik - that we are trying to constrain Iran by preventing its detractors and intellectuals from exiting the country. While Iran's government may prefer that those individuals who are applying for visas to study and live abroad go ahead and leave for internal stability reasons, in reality I suspect that most of those individuals are simply going to choose third countries. Moreover, as was the case with the VWP enhancements, such motivations for a ban could be interpreted as a violation of the JCPOA's provision that the US should not impede Iran's entry into world markets.

If we're really going down this road, we should be prepared to dismiss the argument that our issues have never been with the Persian people, as it is clearly people who are not big fans of the Islamic Republic rather than government officials who are getting hit by this. I don't believe our career diplomats really want to take our public diplomacy in this direction, but I could be wrong.

Where I live, SoCal, we have a large and vibrant Persian population. But be that as it may, Iran is our geopolitical enemy...both in word and deed. Entry and immigration to America is not a global right. It is a national privilege.
The vice-provost of my university was recently discussing his fear of a broad crackdown on student and faculty visas in coming months - not to mention rumored "enhancements" to OPT and the H1-B program. The University cannot override the judgment of State or DHS in any particular immigration case, no mater how compelling our private interest in bringing a particular student or professor. But if there's a perception that coming here is not worth the hassle or that policy is being made in an arbitrary fashion, the "national privilege" you cite inflicts real harm on our institution and I know that our federal relations office is planning to ensure that lawmakers hear our concerns.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:02 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
My ex-wfie is Persian, we met, married and had children in Israel. Her brother is part of that SoCal Irangeles enclave. Both Jewish Iranians. Her brother crossed the border into Pakistan to escape Iran and eventually arrived in the US. Refugee. These are the people that should be kept out of the US because the Iranian gov't is a geopolitical enemy of the US?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Entry and immigration to America is not a global right. It is a national privilege.
N! Entry and immigration and being a place of safety and refuge is one of the foundations upon which the entire nation is based.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Guilty by "association" with a country invites a ban? No thank you.

Note that the EO didn't place a ban on citizens of Russia. Nor would I have it that ordinary Russian citizens -- dual or otherwise -- with US residency rights and/or US immigration or non-immigration visiting rights/allowances -- be banned merely because of the actions of the Russian government or other Russian elements with whom many Russians with US travel allowances may not even necessarily identify with beyond having a nationality/ethnic/ethno-religious connection in common.
The simple reason is the EO was based on the 7 terrorist hotspots that the Obama Administration identified as the top priorities.

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
N! Entry and immigration and being a place of safety and refuge is one of the foundations upon which the entire nation is based.
Sure, after we carefully make sure the people we let us do not want to do us harm. The priority of the government first and foremost is the safety of the American citizens, not world citizens.

Originally Posted by yosithezet
My ex-wfie is Persian, we met, married and had children in Israel. Her brother is part of that SoCal Irangeles enclave. Both Jewish Iranians. Her brother crossed the border into Pakistan to escape Iran and eventually arrived in the US. Refugee. These are the people that should be kept out of the US because the Iranian gov't is a geopolitical enemy of the US?
It's a 90 day pause, not a permanent ban.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 15, 2017 at 10:29 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Sure, after we carefully make sure the people we let us do not want to do us harm. The priority of the government first and foremost is the safety of the American citizens, not world citizens.
We were already doing that. D you have any idea what the current multi-year process involves? The whole ban/pause is a sham bit of grandstanding to make it look like Mr. T. is doing something when he actually has no clue what might be wrong/broken or what he wants to do.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:09 am

We were already doing that. D you have any idea what the current multi-year process involves? The whole ban/pause is a sham bit of grandstanding to make it look like Mr. T. is doing something when he actually has no clue what might be wrong/broken or what he wants to do.
Lengthy times stuck in bureaucracy shouldn't be confused with effective vetting. The wife of the San Bernadino killer had social media messages that supported ISIS. Somehow that slipped by the process. The FBI admits in October 2015 that there's no way to thoroughly screen refugees. And finally, many of those 7 nations have no functioning government like Yemen. With no functioning government, there's pretty much no way to confirm background checks.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:09 am

It's clear that the current process WASN'T WORKING. Just look at the extensive list of terrorist attacks by people from these countries, pasted below for your convenience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.