Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Executive orders banning entry to US ... [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Executive orders banning entry to US ... [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:40 pm

Khizr Khan, the Pakistani immigrant and father of a fallen US Soldier, who spoke against the proposed Muslim travel ban during the 2016 campaign was apparently told today that his "travel privileges are being reviewed" and that he can't leave the country to give a talk in Canada.

I'm not clear that this is related, but it seems strangely coincidental that it happened the same day the new EO was signed.

Is there even a procedure for banning someone from leaving the country, outside of a judge's order for someone on bail or facing indictment? Or maybe he's been told that he won't be allowed to reenter the US, but he's a citizen and not from one of the countries covered by the order.

http://www.salon.com/2017/03/06/khiz...-under-review/
Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Well, calling Abu Dhabi this morning was just as much of an exercise in futility as calling the Kentucky Consular Center yesterday. Two of the locally-employed persons I managed to talk to seemed unaware that there even had been an executive order today, and they were completely unwilling to escalate my inquiries to a career foreign service officer. So much for a flawless roll-out this time...
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
EO 2.0 goes toward showing what a disaster and foolish development the first version of the "Muslim ban" was. It speaks to utter incompetence unleashed in the end of January.

Originally Posted by mauve
Khizr Khan, the Pakistani immigrant and father of a fallen US Soldier, who spoke against the proposed Muslim travel ban during the 2016 campaign was apparently told today that his "travel privileges are being reviewed" and that he can't leave the country to give a talk in Canada.

I'm not clear that this is related, but it seems strangely coincidental that it happened the same day the new EO was signed.

Is there even a procedure for banning someone from leaving the country, outside of a judge's order for someone on bail or facing indictment? Or maybe he's been told that he won't be allowed to reenter the US, but he's a citizen and not from one of the countries covered by the order.

http://www.salon.com/2017/03/06/khiz...-under-review/
Yes there are, in at least some ways.

Passports and/or applications for passports can be administratively denied/revoked/reviewed. This applies under some sets of circumstances even absent court orders/court involvement aimed at a specific individual..

Prior applications for (and behavior under) US visas (or even US visa waiver program), US permanent residency, and naturalization can also be reviewed administratively and then used to go after the person. This applies as much to Khizr Khan as it does to those naturalized like Trump's first ex wife and Trump's current wife, but "discretion" is used in determining who to target and not target for such things.

But maybe it was a Global Entry revocation that got him concerned?

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 7, 2017 at 3:29 am
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:36 am
Suspended

Khizr Khan's Global Entry -- and Precheck -- privilege has been compromised administratively?

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 7, 2017 at 3:59 am
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...toronto-235727

It’s not clear exactly what Ramsay Talks meant by "traveling privileges,” and the group did not respond to a request for comment, nor did Khan.

A U.S. Customs and Border Protection official, citing privacy issues, declined to discuss Khan specifically but appeared to dispute the report, telling POLITICO that CBP doesn’t contact travelers in advance of their travel abroad.

“With respect to Global Entry or trusted traveler membership, CBP’s engagement is about the status of membership in the program, not any particular travel itself,” the official said. “Of course, any U.S. citizen with a passport may travel without trusted traveler status. All individuals are subject to inspection departing or upon arrival to the United States.”
Some articles have stated that they attempted to contact Canadian officials for comment, but so far I haven't seen where there have been any statements by Canadian agencies in response to the queries.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 84fiero
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...toronto-235727

Some articles have stated that they attempted to contact Canadian officials for comment, but so far I haven't seen where there have been any statements by Canadian agencies in response to the queries.
Canada's not giving him problems, as he's admissible to Canada unless and until his US passport and/or naturalization is revoked.

His comment is directed at his relationship with the US Government. I no longer have any doubt about this.

But Khizr Khan's situation is not a result of the "ban" EOs that are at the heart of this thread.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 7, 2017 at 6:41 am
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
If I were Khan I'd have gone to the airport and at least attempted t take the trip. Failure there would have garnered a lot more publicity for him than an out-of-context message about his travel privileges being revoked.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
If I were Khan I'd have gone to the airport and at least attempted t take the trip. Failure there would have garnered a lot more publicity for him than an out-of-context message about his travel privileges being revoked.
Maybe he doesn't want to be called for creating a media circus and voluntarily backing out of travel to Canada after being checked in for the flight and being boarded? He's currently admissible to Canada unless and until his US passport or naturalization is revoked. He can validate the status of his US passport by contacting State. If he wants to know if his passport has an adverse notation in TECS, there are some ways to figure that out too or even already know it.

When Global Entry and/or PreCheck get revoked or suspended, some people get worried. In some such situations, it makes sense to remain in the US rather than risk getting stuck outside of the US by positioning one's self outside of the US.

I won't go into this too much at the moment at least, but when the USG flags down someone in GE, noticing a GE problem in GOES can be a sign that the passport has been flagged/restricted and that there may even be other underlying problems in the mind of some of those in government.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 7, 2017 at 7:01 am
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
http://www.syracuse.com/us-news/inde...es_review.html

Khan declined to comment further when reached by several news organizations, including National Public Radio and others. His lack of elaboration has been enough to spark skepticism of the story.

https://twitter.com/DomenicoNPR/stat...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Domenico Montanaro‏@DomenicoNPR

Asked Khizr Khan several simple, clarifying Qs via email. He got back, saying only "Thank you - no comments." I'd stay away from this story
Ramsay Talks also seemed to back away at least a little from its earlier Facebook post, according to McClatchy's Washington bureau. The group told reporters there that the event was cancelled because Khan was not coming to Toronto.

It said all other information on the matter came from Khan himself.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
It's a constitutional right for citizens to leave and to return to the country. The constitution guarantees that noone can be stripped of citizenship, born or naturalized.

True, not the constitution of the USA.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
It's a constitutional right for citizens to leave and to return to the country. The constitution guarantees that noone can be stripped of citizenship, born or naturalized.

True, not the constitution of the USA.
US naturalized citizens can be stripped of US citizenship under a limited set of circumstances. Usually the government doesn't care to do this for most such situations where those circumstances apply, but other times the government does take action and do so. Suspected war criminals who have been naturalized as US citizens have sometimes been subjected to efforts to strip them of US citizenship.

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/P...e12-PartL.html

Commenting publicly with details can undermine one's own ability to defend one's own interest against a governmental claim/action.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 7, 2017 at 2:38 pm
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Please let's get back on topic

Please let's get back on topic which is the executive order restricting the entry to the US of nationals of certain Muslim majority countries.

If you wish to discuss Khizr Khan's situation, please start a new thread (and save the political commentary for OMNI/PR).

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Guys, I just wonder if there's more (much more) hype than substance about this whole thing. As all 7 (now 6) countries require a visa to visit the US, it would have been a simple matter of instructing State not to issue visas to citizens of these countries. With this latest reiteration greencard holders, etc are exempted from the ban, anyway.

________

By the way - Trump refers to 9/11 (which happened over 15 years ago). The perpetrators were Saudis, Lebanese and Egyptians. Are these countries on the banned list? Well, no.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Guys, I just wonder if there's more (much more) hype than substance about this whole thing. As all 7 (now 6) countries require a visa to visit the US, it would have been a simple matter of instructing State not to issue visas to citizens of these countries. With this latest reiteration greencard holders, etc are exempted from the ban, anyway.
This is all about reinforcing the paranoia. Fear the world, vote for me, I'll protect you. This is his way of fulfilling that promise. Nothing more.

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 10, 2017 at 10:58 am Reason: remove derog
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by catocony
This is all about reinforcing the paranoia. Fear the world, vote for me, I'll protect you. This is his way of fulfilling that promise. Nothing more.
That's very easy to say, but it's having very real consequences for USCs like myself whose plans for the future centered around visa cases that could be lost forever if not adjudicated within this year's diversity visa cycle, which will be impossible if the review period is extended far beyond 6/15 or permanent exclusion is sought for Iran. If my brother-in-law cannot migrate in the end now that State has dangled the diversity visa before us, I will likely be under pressure to uproot my career to some other Anglophone country and take the human capital in which the USG has invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in grant money with me. Or, we'll sink our and our families' life savings into whatever remains of the EB-5 program, which, as those who follow visa maters may know, is no guarantee of a visa. And I'll be forever pissed that this had to happen because our rank in the lottery queue was six days too late.

Right now what we want most is clarity from State about where we stand and what hoops we would have to jump through if we go for a waiver. Our senator is now involved, but Abu Dhabi continues to refuse to answer our inquires and their locally employed staff behave as if nothing has happened. All we have is a painfully vague email from State's "Global Support Strategy" contractor (Computer Sciences Corp., with the street address of an office park Chantilly, VA listed in the email) telling us to check Consular Affairs' main website for updates before attending our interview. Is this what T-Rex had in mind when we were promised a smoother roll-out?

I get your point - it's well established at this point that this is not an example of evidence-based policymaking in action. But there's real pain involved, especially for those of us in a limited time window for the diversity visa program.

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 10, 2017 at 10:59 am Reason: reference to edited post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.