Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA's bomb-sniffing dogs

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 3:09 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by petaluma1
However, there have been a couple of comments about the dogs at AskTSA that do NOT indicate that the dogs are picking people for PreCheck. The dogs are just sniffing passengers which does NOTHING to speed up screening.

If the dogs were actually picking people for Pre, then all pax on whom the dog does NOT alert should be moved to Pre.
A dog fight between a sniffing dog and a emotional comfort dog would shake things up a little.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by puddinhead
About 116 a day quit - probably because theyaren't paid well but the higher-ups get $90,000 bonuses paid in $10,000 increments to avoid reporting. And the billions spent on the puffer and nude-o-scan machines that are in warehouses. I'm sure there were no kickbacks from L3 or Rapidscan to former TSA execs.
I certainly find fault with the excessive bonuses paid to some TSA SES level employees. I would like to know who else got large bonuses. That doesn't mean that TSA screeners aren't paid well for the education and job skills required for that work. A TSA screener doesn't even require a High School education. Their salaries start at about $30,000 and go up depending on locality. Most new TSA jobs are Part Time Permanent starting at $15.13 hourly.

Take a look at USAJobs.gov and search for Transportation Security Officer. I found over two hundred job listings but of those 200 around 125 were actually for TSO's and the rest not associated with TSA screeners. There is no large scale hiring going on for more screeners.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:25 pm

As much I do understand dogs. I dont. I am totally terrified of dogs I dont know. I back off/sweat/shake. You name it it is all done without thinking. And Yes if they have long hairs I start to cough.I know I am not the only one.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:29 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note: Please stay on topic

Please stay on topic (FT Rule 5), that is: TSA's bomb-sniffing dogs.

There are other threads discussing TSA management bonuses and employee turnover. Please debate those topics in those threads.

Thank you,

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
Old May 17, 2016, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I certainly find fault with the excessive bonuses paid to some TSA SES level employees. I would like to know who else got large bonuses. That doesn't mean that TSA screeners aren't paid well for the education and job skills required for that work. A TSA screener doesn't even require a High School education. Their salaries start at about $30,000 and go up depending on locality. Most new TSA jobs are Part Time Permanent starting at $15.13 hourly.

Take a look at USAJobs.gov and search for Transportation Security Officer. I found over two hundred job listings but of those 200 around 125 were actually for TSO's and the rest not associated with TSA screeners. There is no large scale hiring going on for more screeners.
There was 1 opening for a canine handler in SFO when I last looked. Aren't the majority of screener jobs at backwater airports, not the airports that are having line issues.
Old May 18, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by gingersnaps
People didn't start using the line "tsa created long lines" until about a few months ago

Managed Inclusion has been around since 2013, and no one was complaining about long lines; except Precheckers who were slowed down by the inexperienced masses being herded into Precheck by Managed Inclusion.
Rubbish.

People have been complaining about long lines at TSA checkpoints since TSA was created, and if it's not TSA making the lines long, then who is?

Just search "long line" on the forum and you'll get nearly 500 hits. Some of them have to do with CBP and some may be about non-TSA airports (although I doubt it) but most are about TSA.

May 2013:
Originally Posted by sandiegofun
I was in a long line and asked about why they didn't open another screening line. A tight international connection was causing me trouble after the slow processing through security.

After about 35 hours of travel I was rather irritated at the slow process. I finally made it through MMW, and I was grabbed for an enhanced screening.

This enhanced screening took another 15-20 minutes, including slowly removing everything from carry-ons (nothing alarmed either through X-ray or MMW), and what was very clear is that they were delaying to cause me to miss the flight.

When I complained about the nature of this stupidity, the 'manager' along with two 3-stripers told me we were selected due to behavioral profiling.

I of course missed the flight, as they intended. The thing that surprised me was the claim back to SPOT. In any case, it was the worst show of the TSA I have ever encountered, especially the retaliatory nature of the entire interaction.
May 2011:
Originally Posted by Thegweni
I had the misfortune to fly out of PHX, IAH and ONT this week and in every case there were excessive lines at TSA. I know it is spring break but in every case there were very few college/school aged travelers in the line.

At IAH, terminal A, TSA had only one inspection line open, despite the 30 minute long line. PHX seemed to be fully staffed for a change and I was able to use the Priority line here. ONT was the worst with a 40 minute wait and only 2 lines open. A three striper was being objectionable to all who complained and doing his best to slow the process by stopping everything several times to examine suitcases.

Are these <TSO's> on even more of a go slow or are they seeing how much more objectionable they can be ? Has anyone else noticed this trend?
Nov 2010 (reporting on an incident a year earlier, with some TSA elder-abuse as a bonus):
Originally Posted by LeeAnne
Last year my mother and I were changing planes in Atlanta from an international flight, heading home to LAX. After going through customs, we had to stand in the long security line to get to our gate for our domestic flight. We had a 2-hour layover, which should have been plenty of time.

My mother is 73 years old, has a metal hip and cement injected into a shattered spinal disk. She walks with a distinct limp and a cane.

As soon as we landed in Atlanta we used the facilities. Unfortunately the security line took almost 90 minutes, and by the time we got near the front, my mother had to use the restroom again. But there was no way for her to leave the line and go find the restroom, and then get back to me - she couldn't have fought her way out and back through the crowd. I would have had to go with her, losing our place in line and missing our flight home.

...When they walked her over, she begged them to allow her to use the restroom before the pat-down. They refused. She waited there for over 10 minutes before a very large, very scary-looking TSA agent - who looked like she'd spent the first half of her life running with the crips and the second half as a prison guard - came over to pat her down. My mother asked AGAIN if she could use the restroom. The agent refused, and began her molestation. She wanded her entire body, including between her legs, then began the physical rubbing. She ran her hands up my mother's legs, and when she got to her crotch area, she discovered that my mother was slightly damp there. She yanked her hand out and started SCREAMING at her, "DID YOU PISS ON ME? DID YOU PISS ON ME?" My mother started crying, calling out my name in distress.
[there's more - it gets worse.]
Yeah, sure, no one has complained about long lines until recently.

Last edited by TWA884; May 18, 2016 at 10:06 pm Reason: Conform to edit of quote
Old May 19, 2016, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
What's this I heard about American Airlines helping the TSA with more bomb-sniffing dogs?

Supposedly AA is willing to back this to some extent in order to try to speed up passengers getting cleared by the TSA.
Old May 19, 2016, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by GUWonder
What's this I heard about American Airlines helping the TSA with more bomb-sniffing dogs?

Supposedly AA is willing to back this to some extent in order to try to speed up passengers getting cleared by the TSA.
They should be reimbursed for all costs incurred from the TSA budget. That goes for the 90 workers SEA has hired, too. It should come out of the part of the budget that funds manager bonuses.
Old May 19, 2016, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

I'd heard AA was going to spend $4 million to hire more workers but didn't hear anything about dogs.

Will work only if the dogs allow pax to go through screening with shoes on, etc.

Oh, and BTW, @TSA and @AskTSA apparently don't like it when it is suggested that the lines they are creating take away from the safety they claim is their top priority. Nor do they like it when it is suggested that PreCheck could be a scam.
Old May 19, 2016, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'd heard AA was going to spend $4 million to hire more workers but didn't hear anything about dogs.

Will work only if the dogs allow pax to go through screening with shoes on, etc.

Oh, and BTW, @TSA and @AskTSA apparently don't like it when it is suggested that the lines they are creating take away from the safety they claim is their top priority. Nor do they like it when it is suggested that PreCheck could be a scam.
It's been on CNN since:

Originally Posted by CNN
Isom called the TSA's moves "a decent start" but that they aren't enough.

He also noted that the airline is considering ways to fund more canine teams.
http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/18/pf/a...ors/index.html

The TSA's approach and its attitude toward criticism is rather interesting, no less when juxtaposed against some of the comments presented in the speech the POTUS -- ultimately in charge of the TSA -- gave at Rutgers this month.
Old May 19, 2016, 4:28 pm

This didn't take long. There's already been one complaint from a Pre pax with a support dog who was told he had to use the regular line because an airport dog was 'working' the Pre lane.

"Consistent inconsistency' or 'screener discretion'?
Old May 19, 2016, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
They should be reimbursed for all costs incurred from the TSA budget. That goes for the 90 workers SEA has hired, too. It should come out of the part of the budget that funds manager bonuses.
There should be no bonuses for any government jobs. NONE!!
Old May 19, 2016, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
There should be no bonuses for any government jobs. NONE!!
I won't argue with you there.
Old May 19, 2016, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

It's been on CNN since:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/18/pf/a...ors/index.html

The TSA's approach and its attitude toward criticism is rather interesting, no less when juxtaposed against some of the comments presented in the speech the POTUS -- ultimately in charge of the TSA -- gave at Rutgers this month.
But there's this guy, who I am simply loving:

https://twitter.com/TSA_Agent45
Old May 19, 2016, 6:12 pm

But there's this guy, who I am simply loving:

https://twitter.com/TSA_Agent45

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.