Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA's bomb-sniffing dogs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:25 am
Original Poster

TSA's bomb-sniffing dogs

Last night, our local TV station did a segment on the TSA's bomb-sniffing dogs, I'm sure at the suggestion of the TSA.

I noticed two clips in which the dogs were seemingly chasing after individuals and pulling their handlers along with them. Is this how a bomb-sniffing dog is trained by the TSA to react?

Here's the link but it won't load for me.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/how-dog...e-605235779688
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My understanding is that explosive detection dogs are trained to sit when alerting.

But if TSA human training is any indication I wouldn't be surprised to learn that TSA screwed up dog training also.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jan 21, 2016 at 10:44 am
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
It's called 'consistent inconsistency', aka 'screener discretion'.

Sometimes the dog sits, sometimes it attacks, sometimes it steals your lunch, sometimes it goes for your privates...keeps all those bad guys guessing.

Coming soon to an airport near you: TSA Spot-dogs. Under the guise of a friendly crotch-sniffing (hey - do you have something to hide?), they are really analyzing your micro-cringes to decide if you stink, er, are a bad guy.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
In the case of CBP dogs, if they pee on your luggage you're probably in trouble!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by chollie
It's called 'consistent inconsistency', aka 'screener discretion'.

Sometimes the dog sits, sometimes it attacks, sometimes it steals your lunch, sometimes it goes for your privates...keeps all those bad guys guessing.

Coming soon to an airport near you: TSA Spot-dogs. Under the guise of a friendly crotch-sniffing (hey - do you have something to hide?), they are really analyzing your micro-cringes to decide if you stink, er, are a bad guy.
I had to laugh when I read the bolded phrase. I have two dobermans (male and female litter-mates), and one of them (the female) has always greeted me by poking her nose between my legs when I get home. I am used to it, but thank goodness she doesn't do it to strangers...I'd probably get sued!

Last edited by DeafBlonde; Jan 22, 2016 at 12:29 pm Reason: grammar check
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Last night, our local TV station did a segment on the TSA's bomb-sniffing dogs, I'm sure at the suggestion of the TSA.

I noticed two clips in which the dogs were seemingly chasing after individuals and pulling their handlers along with them. Is this how a bomb-sniffing dog is trained by the TSA to react?

Here's the link but it won't load for me.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/how-dog...e-605235779688
I've seen that happen in several different airports, but when I've seen it, there has generally been a trainer running along behind which makes me think it is the humans who are actually being trained & the dogs, knowing the one on the other end of the leash is the newbie, are just trying to see how much they can get away with.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
My understanding is that explosive detection dogs are trained to sit when alerting.

But if TSA human training is any indication I wouldn't be surprised to learn that TSA screwed up dog training also.
Except, AFAIK, TSA works with DOD at Lackland AFB training the dogs since Lackland is where military working dogs are trained. TSA's K9 training center is at Lackland.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Yes, all of the TSA K9 teams (dog and handler) are first trained and certified at Lackland. However, the teams receive continuous training, evaluation and re-certification once placed in service at the duty station.

I am also not able to view the linked video but the description of the dog "chasing after someone" is how a PSC (passenger screening canine) is trained. These dogs are trained to detect odors of explosives on passengers while the dog is walking through the terminal or other areas of the airport and then chase after the scent.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by Section 107
Yes, all of the TSA K9 teams (dog and handler) are first trained and certified at Lackland. However, the teams receive continuous training, evaluation and re-certification once placed in service at the duty station.

I am also not able to view the linked video but the description of the dog "chasing after someone" is how a PSC (passenger screening canine) is trained. These dogs are trained to detect odors of explosives on passengers while the dog is walking through the terminal or other areas of the airport and then chase after the scent.
Thanks 107! I'm not a K9 handler so some of these things escape me.

Yeah, the "chasing" now seems accurate since there's actually two types of TSA K9, that being a traditional EDC (explosive detection canine) which is more suited towards searching inanimate objects (bags, barrels, cargo, aircraft) and the PSC which 107 described above.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoganTSO
Thanks 107! I'm not a K9 handler so some of these things escape me.

Yeah, the "chasing" now seems accurate since there's actually two types of TSA K9, that being a traditional EDC (explosive detection canine) which is more suited towards searching inanimate objects (bags, barrels, cargo, aircraft) and the PSC which 107 described above.
Which one is it that looks for drugs?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
The boggiest of dogs.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Which one is it that looks for drugs?
Neither. TSA K9s are trained only for explosives.

CBP is the DHS component that has K9s trained for drugs. CBP also trains dogs in other disciplines such as agriculture, currency, firearms, and human tracking/concealment/SAR, patrol/hostage/violent situations, and cadaver).

Other LEAs such as DEA, state and local agencies might also have drug detection K9s but typically they do not conduct operations at airports. Very few airport authority PDs use narcotics detection dogs.

Keep in mind that K9s are trained in only one discipline - they are not "cross-trained."
Old Jan 28, 2016, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
Neither. TSA K9s are trained only for explosives.

CBP is the DHS component that has K9s trained for drugs. CBP also trains dogs in other disciplines such as agriculture, currency, firearms, and human tracking/concealment/SAR, patrol/hostage/violent situations, and cadaver).

Other LEAs such as DEA, state and local agencies might also have drug detection K9s but typically they do not conduct operations at airports. Very few airport authority PDs use narcotics detection dogs.

Keep in mind that K9s are trained in only one discipline - they are not "cross-trained."
Given TSA's general lack of honesty and integrity I am highly suspect that TSA does not have drug detection dogs.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given TSA's general lack of honesty and integrity I am highly suspect that TSA does not have drug detection dogs.
They would have a little trouble justifying the search.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.