Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA's bomb-sniffing dogs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by petaluma1
I am not trolling. TSA claims the dogs speed up the screening process; I want to know exactly how they do that.
Theoretically, I suppose, PSC teams might speed up the line IF all pax and bags going through a checkpoint were screened by the teams as this would (mostly) negate the need for using the ETD machines and related delays.

However, it is not logistically possible as there are not enough PSC teams to provide coverage at a checkpoint for an entire day (let alone for week or more) at a major airport (although it might be possible for a smaller airport).
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
Theoretically, I suppose, PSC teams might speed up the line IF all pax and bags going through a checkpoint were screened by the teams as this would (mostly) negate the need for using the ETD machines and related delays.

However, it is not logistically possible as there are not enough PSC teams to provide coverage at a checkpoint for an entire day (let alone for week or more) at a major airport (although it might be possible for a smaller airport).
The choke points of TSA's screening process are the TDC, disrobing, bag xray/hand inspection, WBI, pat down, and ETD. For canines to do any good one or more steps in the list has to be eliminated. If that's not happening then dogs just add another layer to an already time consuming process.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

My question has been answered:

More canines—give me a break!

http://reason.org/news/show/1014536.html

Last edited by petaluma1; Jun 1, 2016 at 3:24 pm
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Section 107

Thank you.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The choke points of TSA's screening process are the TDC, disrobing, bag xray/hand inspection, WBI, pat down, and ETD. For canines to do any good one or more steps in the list has to be eliminated. If that's not happening then dogs just add another layer to an already time consuming process.
Completely agree.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:15 pm

deleated

Last edited by tanja; Jun 1, 2016 at 4:10 pm
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
My question has been answered:

http://reason.org/news/show/1014536.html

2800 BDOs hanging around, playing with their cellphones and chatting with other TSOs.

If that manpower were actively employed screening people, not only would it reduce wait times and dangerous landside congestion; it might very well lead to improved Red Team scores, because there would 2800 fewer non-working TSOs standing around distracting actual working screeners.

I wonder if the BDOs ever hang around the exits where TSO baggage screeners leave work.

SMH.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
So, basically, the choke points of the TSA process are... the TSA process.

That's pretty much what I always thought, too.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
So, basically, the choke points of the TSA process are... the TSA process.

That's pretty much what I always thought, too.
Yes, and if the process isn't changed then backups will persist. All more screeners provide is the means to open more screening lanes which is the least cost effective solution. Adding explosive canines has potential if other steps are taken to streamline the screening process. I have little confidence in TSA doing anything other than adding.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:49 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
In The New York Times:
T.S.A. Trains Dogs to Stay One Sniff Ahead of Bomb Makers

Excerpt
The Department of Homeland Security, the parent agency of the T.S.A., has expanded its use of dogs to help screen passengers in airport security lines. Jeh Johnson, the secretary of Homeland Security, recently announced the deployment of bomb-sniffing dogs to larger airports where long security lines had not only increased the wait but provided a vulnerable target for an attack like the one in March at Brussels Airport.
Note: The above is a Permalink, no subscription or login is needed to access the article
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:37 am

TSA is at it AGAIN with the Dogs!!!

Originally Posted by TWA884
In The New York Times:
Note: The above is a Permalink, no subscription or login is needed to access the article
My mom had this happen TODAY at FLL. THEY STOPPED THE LINE!!!! to have dogs come through and sniff everyone's shoes. Having separate lines with the dogs is one thing, but stopping all lines? Come on!!!!! This again shows that TSA can do what they want. If I am in that line and I have a) an allergy or b) a fear of dogs (which I do), but I am told to FREEZE (which is what they did...yes they're back at that tactic), what am I supposed to do. I have already prepared a speech for the TSO with the dog:

"I have a fear of dogs and will not allow this dog to sniff my shoes. I consent to a full pat down and full hand search of my shoes and luggage."

That's right, I am willing to go beyond my normal opt out procedure. Most fears are irrational, and I know these dogs are highly trained, but I was bit as a child and whenever I am near a dog, I get flashbacks to that day and literally cannot be around most dogs for more than a second. There is no way you will have my FREEZE in line with DOG(s?) roaming around!
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jco613
My mom had this happen TODAY at FLL. THEY STOPPED THE LINE!!!! to have dogs come through and sniff everyone's shoes. Having separate lines with the dogs is one thing, but stopping all lines? Come on!!!!! This again shows that TSA can do what they want. If I am in that line and I have a) an allergy or b) a fear of dogs (which I do), but I am told to FREEZE (which is what they did...yes they're back at that tactic), what am I supposed to do. I have already prepared a speech for the TSO with the dog:

"I have a fear of dogs and will not allow this dog to sniff my shoes. I consent to a full pat down and full hand search of my shoes and luggage."

That's right, I am willing to go beyond my normal opt out procedure. Most fears are irrational, and I know these dogs are highly trained, but I was bit as a child and whenever I am near a dog, I get flashbacks to that day and literally cannot be around most dogs for more than a second. There is no way you will have my FREEZE in line with DOG(s?) roaming around!
Did they send everyone to PreCheck after passing the sniff test?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:04 pm

Did they send everyone to PreCheck after passing the sniff test?
From what I was told everyone was allowed to keep their shoes on at the checkpoint. What a joke
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jco613
From what I was told everyone was allowed to keep their shoes on at the checkpoint. What a joke
Amen to that.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
It is a joke, because supposedly the reason we have to take our shoes off at the checkpoint is not only to detect explosives, but also to detect contraband like knives.

TSA wanted dogs because other agencies have them. Now that they have them, they have to try to find excuses to justify them.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 3:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by chollie
...supposedly the reason we have to take our shoes off at the checkpoint is not only to detect explosives, but also to detect contraband like knives.
Knives will set off the metal detector.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.