Wiki Posts
Search

TSA's bomb-sniffing dogs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
This.

The dog's training is based on pleasing its handler and getting a reward.

A very smart dog can pick up on its handler's wishes and figure out what the 'right' response is.

A smart dog easily figures out that if his handler is making him re-search a cleared bag, he (dog) clearly didn't get it 'right' the first time.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:55 am

Yes, Chollie, with enough "Good boyyyyy" and "Go get it!" comments in the background any biscuit-loving dog knows he better come up with an "alert" when prompted. Finally the cops/gov't found a sure-fire way the circumvent the Constitution and look inside any damn car or suitcase they want.
The $64,000 dollar question is, why have the courts allowed it, given that everyone knows this "alert" is a crock of <redacted>.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 19, 2016 at 9:24 am Reason: FT Rule 16: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
TSA brings K-9 training to Virginia Rail Express (VRE)

From Railway Age:
Virginia Railway Express hosted the Transportation Security Administration for a canine training event at the VRE Broad Run yard in Prince William County.

The July 17 event was part of a continuous effort in interagency surface training, one of many training events hosted by VRE with local, state and federal partner agencies in the area.

The training consisted of TSA explosives detection canines sweeping train equipment and a station to help familiarize the dogs and their handlers with railroad environments.

“Safety and security are priorities for us at VRE. We appreciate the work our partner agencies do and we’re here to help them with these surface training opportunities,” said VRE Chief Executive Doug Allen. “We operate in a security critical region and are committed to pursuing as many opportunities as possible to incorporate security into our operations.”
Link to full article: TSA brings K-9 training to VRE
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

TSA is going to try another version of screening by dog:

Now taking bets on whether or not it will be faster.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Apparently, dogs are now being used post-checkpoints to sniff for bombs;

Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regarding the picture in post #260 , can anyone tell if the dog handler near the window is carrying a side-arm? Kinda looks like it to me but not 100% sure.

I ask because I question whether a LEO can conduct an Administrative Search. Wouldn't it be some other form of law enforcement search if the person doing the search can effect an arrest?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by petaluma1
TSA is going to try another version of screening by dog:

https://twitter.com/krisvancleave/st...80097963335680

Now taking bets on whether or not it will be faster.

It isn't going to be faster if they only use the dogs in the sterile area.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Regarding the picture in post #260 , can anyone tell if the dog handler near the window is carrying a side-arm? Kinda looks like it to me but not 100% sure.

I ask because I question whether a LEO can conduct an Administrative Search. Wouldn't it be some other form of law enforcement search if the person doing the search can effect an arrest?
I don't know what the laws state, but I do know that LEOs conduct administrative searches at venues such as courthouses all across the US.

I'm also not clear on the laws regarding canines, but I believe that if a dog alerts on you, the cop will regard that as probable cause to at least detain and question you, and possibly to conduct a further physical search. Once the dog alerts, it's no longer considered an administrative search, it becomes a criminal investigation.

And yes, the handler in that photo is absolutely armed. However, it's been stated on these boards several times that TSA doesn't have its own canine corps, it uses canines and handlers from local LEO agencies, so the handler in that photo might be a local cop, rather than a TSO.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:04 pm

"I'm also not clear on the laws regarding canines, but I believe that if a dog alerts on you, the cop will regard that as probable cause to at least detain and question you, and possibly to conduct a further physical search."

Yes, they came up with a surefire way to circumvent the 4th Amendment. If you don't think police "encourage" the dogs to come up with the ill-defined alert, woof, tail wag, woof,
slobber, check out the video "Breakfast in Collinsville" by Terrence Huff, who fought the illegal stop and opened a lot of people's eyes to what goes on, and made a lot of money in the lawsuit.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by WillCAD
And yes, the handler in that photo is absolutely armed. However, it's been stated on these boards several times that TSA doesn't have its own canine corps, it uses canines and handlers from local LEO agencies, so the handler in that photo might be a local cop, rather than a TSO.
So a local sworn cop is impersonating a Federal sworn officer?

I was more interested in the fact they were using a German Shepard as the sniffer dog. Possibly the poorest choice of dog they could have gone for. If they're going to try and find explosives then why not use breeds that are better at smell/tracking, rather than a herding dog? Why not, say, Beagles? Not aggressive enough an image for the TSA or something?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth

I was more interested in the fact they were using a German Shepard as the sniffer dog. Possibly the poorest choice of dog they could have gone for. If they're going to try and find explosives then why not use breeds that are better at smell/tracking, rather than a herding dog? Why not, say, Beagles? Not aggressive enough an image for the TSA or something?
Yes, a GSD is a strange breed to use for bomb sniffing. This is more typical of the types of dogs used:

I read a tweet yesterday in which someone stated that the sniffer dog targeted a person in line but there was no follow up as to what happened.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still wonder if TSA doesn't sneak in a drug dog every once in a while.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I still wonder if TSA doesn't sneak in a drug dog every once in a while.
When the defense asked for records about the dog and it showed up as a drug dog I would think the case would get tossed on fruit of the poisoned tree. Their drug-hunting needs to be more carefully disguised.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth

The guy in the foreground is wearing a polo that says TSA K9. But he's not handling the dog, and I can't tell whether he's armed.

The armed guy who is handling the dog is leaning away and I can't see whether his shirt says TSA K9 on it. It may not.

Regardless, if the officers are on loan to TSA, then TSA can authorize them to call themselves part of the TSA K9 team, which isn't necessarily the same as "impersonating a federal officer".
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I don't know what the laws state, but I do know that LEOs conduct administrative searches at venues such as courthouses all across the US.

I'm also not clear on the laws regarding canines, but I believe that if a dog alerts on you, the cop will regard that as probable cause to at least detain and question you, and possibly to conduct a further physical search. Once the dog alerts, it's no longer considered an administrative search, it becomes a criminal investigation.

When the dog alerts the investigating officer now has reasonable suspicion, not probable cause. Except for in the most exigent of circumstances, the handler is not the investigating officer.

Not all handlers in every agency are LEOs; some are just handlers. At airports, most frequently the handler of a TSA-provided Explosives Detection K9 is employed as an officer of the local LEA. Some airports have detection ED K9s that are not sourced from TSA. A local LEO will NOT be wearing a uniform that says "TSA K9" as doing so would be in contravention of general orders and constitute a disciplinary offense; only TSA employees will wear a uniform with TSA K9 emblazoned on the blouse/shirt.

TSA absolutely has its own canine handlers and has for many years. For most of the last decade and a half most handlers of TSA K9s at were LEOs of local airport/mass transit LE agencies but TSA still had its own handlers. The number of TSA handlers has been expanding steadily over the last several years and for TSA now has teams assigned to specific airports as well as teams that move around from airport to airport and other places. Some TSA-employed handlers are federal LEOs; others are Transportation Security Inspectors who are not "LEOs" (meaning they are not authorized to arrest, etc.) even as they have a law enforcement mission .

The photo is almost assuredly an example of part of mandated, recurrent evaluation with the TSA person in the foreground the evaluator.

Even as other breeds may be better suited to certain types of detection work, German Shepherds make for fine detection dogs although they are more frequently used in patrol work.

No, again, TSA does NOT train any of its K9s in narcotics detection. Certain posters who continually make the allegation imply the contrary have been publicly and directly offered the opportunity to have an in-person visit with TSA K9 handlers to observe and learn first-hand all about the training but have refused the opportunity and yet still make the specious alleg implication. It's quite instructive yet disappointing how some folks simply refuse to let facts inform their opinions.

Last edited by Section 107; Nov 13, 2018 at 2:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.