Search

Passport cards and TSA: 2014 update?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by König
Yeah, the response from the kid was silly, and the quality of education is on the decline in the USA. I agree with all that, but you've got to admit that the name of this agency is somewhat misleading ;-) Most agencies abroad that are performing the same functions as the Department of State are called Ministry/Department of Foreign Affairs or Foreign Office (in the UK). You should really know what the DoS does because there is no way you can deduct this from its name.
There is a way to understand, from the name, what it does -- if having a decent sense of history of even just European states. In the US it used to be called Foreign Affairs when first funded by the US Congress.

And for "foreign affairs" or "external affairs", you can bet that some would answer that it in charge of extramarital affairs outside the country or something ridiculous like that.

Should we go into the ministries/departments that have "Home" or "Interior" in their name and the confusion/ignorance about them too?

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 17, 2014 at 12:25 am
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:07 am

I still stand by my statement that for an average person, it is much easier to deduct what a "Ministry/Department of Foreign/External Affairs" does than what a "Department of State" does. I, for one, have a decent sense of history of European states, and I would not guess what the Department of State did if I had not lived in the USA and dealt with this agency first-hand. Maybe, because I did my post-graduate study in Electrical Engineering and not History?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe some college kids also think that the Department of Defense is responsible for those chain link barriers around construction sites. Yes, I know it was once called the Department of War before getting it's kinder gentler name.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:22 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by König
I still stand by my statement that for an average person, it is much easier to deduct what a "Ministry/Department of Foreign/External Affairs" does than what a "Department of State" does. I, for one, have a decent sense of history of European states, and I would not guess what the Department of State did if I had not lived in the USA and dealt with this agency first-hand. Maybe, because I did my post-graduate study in Electrical Engineering and not History?
Quick, what does the Texas Railroad Commission do?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cbn42
Quick, what does the Texas Railroad Commission do?
I've taken Amtrak for intra-Texas travel, but does that Texas energy regulator have anything to do with that?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
There is a way to understand, from the name, what it does -- if having a decent sense of history of even just European states. In the US it used to be called Foreign Affairs when first funded by the US Congress.

And for "foreign affairs" or "external affairs", you can bet that some would answer that it in charge of extramarital affairs outside the country or something ridiculous like that.

Should we go into the ministries/departments that have "Home" or "Interior" in their name and the confusion/ignorance about them too?
Then Mark Sanford is a shoe in if the Rs get the White House.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by CPT Trips
Then Mark Sanford is a shoe in if the Rs get the White House.
remind me again... which one is he? sex with intern or affair with foreign national? I can't keep up with all the stuff that politicians do. Sometimes I wish I hold French citizenship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.