Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport cards and TSA: 2014 update?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I was shocked that Ross made such an unambiguous statement in the nitro pills thread:

Originally Posted by TSAPressSec
Nitroglycerine pills or spray for medical use is permitted in carry-on bags. However, they should be properly marked with a professionally printed label identifying the medication.

Granted, several of us grilled him like a salmon for about four pages as he mouthed the usual ambiguous platitudes first, but hey, I'll take what I can get.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I was shocked that Ross made such an unambiguous statement in the nitro pills thread:

Granted, several of us grilled him like a salmon for about four pages as he mouthed the usual ambiguous platitudes first, but hey, I'll take what I can get.
But...this is one man speaking in an IBB on his own time. IIRC, I think <deleted> stated he wouldn't confiscate medical nitro, but that's him using screener discretion (and common sense).

As of now, the official word (as available to the public) is that it is subject to screener discretion, and it's quite possible that the SSI SOP on this says that when something falls into two categories, ie, medical and always-prohibited substances, the more restrictive rule applies.

IIRC, the website says walking sticks/canes are also allowed, but eyecue told us that there was SSI information unavailable to the public governing length and weight of 'assistive devices' and that was the grounds for trying to confiscate Peter Mayhew's 'light saber' cane.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 26, 2017 at 2:58 pm Reason: Privacy / Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
But...this is one man speaking in an IBB on his own time. IIRC, I think <deleted> stated he wouldn't confiscate medical nitro, but that's him using screener discretion (and common sense).

As of now, the official word (as available to the public) is that it is subject to screener discretion, and it's quite possible that the SSI SOP on this says that when something falls into two categories, ie, medical and always-prohibited substances, the more restrictive rule applies.

IIRC, the website says walking sticks/canes are also allowed, but eyecue told us that there was SSI information unavailable to the public governing length and weight of 'assistive devices' and that was the grounds for trying to confiscate Peter Mayhew's 'light saber' cane.
1. I think eyecue wasfull of crap when he said that, and was trying to cover up a blatant attempt at theft by his brother TSOs

2. Nitro pills do NOT fall into two categories. They are not explosive, ever, under any circumstances, and are therefore not governed bytheno-explosive policy. Only some stupid TSA personnel buying into an idiotic urban myth believed that when they stole your medication.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 26, 2017 at 2:58 pm Reason: Privacy / Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
This raises an interesting point (perhaps outside your paygrade).

You are correct that GE/NEXUS/SENTRI cards are for international land crossings only.

GE membership + passport is valid for international air crossings.

GE/NEXUS/SENTRI KTNs, when entered in the air reservation, do provide access to Pre.

Since the KTN, when entered in the air reservation, is sufficient for access to the Pre lane, why would the actual card displayed to the TDC not be?
Actually, NEXUS can be used to enter the USA by air, I did it two months ago. It is valid at Canadian airports w/ pre-clearance to enter the USA.

As for it not being accepted, all you have to do is say "That's OK - I'll wait while you check with your supervisor".
Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:01 am

I have used my passport card for flying domestically since 2009, and it has never been an issue. Well, I mostly fly from/to SMF, SFO, PDX, SEA and SJC. As a matter of fact, my passport card is accepted much more often at airports than in banks and stores.

The culmination of stupidity was was the case of Chase Bank rejecting the passport card when I wanted to close one of my accounts. Apparently, they forgot that they were more than happy to accept this same card several years earlier when I was opening this account with them. Writing to their headquarters solved this problem rather quickly.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:42 am

Just curious, has anyone had TSA throw a fit over their legal DL? I used to get it all the time with my prior Florida DL. which was the old laminated style, but that's how Florida issued it, good until the end of 2013.

Sadly, my new one is the SecureID crap. Although I took a good bulk eraser to the magstripe within the first few hours I had it. Reads completely random now. I hate when places swipe my DL when I've not authorized it (I'm looking at you, Target stores).
Old Jul 1, 2014, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by KRSW
Just curious, has anyone had TSA throw a fit over their legal DL? I used to get it all the time with my prior Florida DL. which was the old laminated style, but that's how Florida issued it, good until the end of 2013.

Sadly, my new one is the SecureID crap. Although I took a good bulk eraser to the magstripe within the first few hours I had it. Reads completely random now. I hate when places swipe my DL when I've not authorized it (I'm looking at you, Target stores).
There have been quite a few threads in the TS&S board about TSOs who tried to refuse licenses from Washington DC, Puerto Rico, and USVI because they weren't "state-issued" licenses.

And there have been a few mentions of New Mexico, PR, and USVI, and even Hawaii licenses being rejected because "it needs to be an American license".

It's not a policy problem, it's a competency problem.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
There have been quite a few threads in the TS&S board about TSOs who tried to refuse licenses from Washington DC, Puerto Rico, and USVI because they weren't "state-issued" licenses.

And there have been a few mentions of New Mexico, PR, and USVI, and even Hawaii licenses being rejected because "it needs to be an American license".

It's not a policy problem, it's a competency problem. (emphasis added)
Therein lies the problem. IIRC, the original mandate for the TSA was to reassure the traveling public that flying is safe. I AM NOT REASSURED BY THE TSA's COUNTLESS (daily?) INCIDENTS OF INCOMPETENCE.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I've never come across this type of incompetence from other federal/military security officers. Granted, most of those are sworn LEOs and not tin-star smurfs, but still. I've also never come across a federal officer with attitudes as poor as I see in many TSOs. I've certainly never had a federal officer damage my laptop, attempt to steal my lunch, or raise their voice / bark out orders.

If a TDC doesn't know which states are in the USA, they are TOO INCOMPETENT for their position, which requires them to be able to identify legitimate vs. fake IDs.

Here's a better question -- where's the accountability? We see this crap every day. How come after 12 years the level of competency hasn't improved? I know we joke about TSOs not having making the cut for fast food positions, but given the talent pool, maybe we need a McDonald's or similar to come in and show management how to standardize and manage. It makes me feel bad for the good TSOs out there (and there are some) who are pleasant, competent people.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 2:58 pm
Company Representative, TSA

Originally Posted by CZBB
Actually, NEXUS can be used to enter the USA by air, I did it two months ago. It is valid at Canadian airports w/ pre-clearance to enter the USA.

As for it not being accepted, all you have to do is say "That's OK - I'll wait while you check with your supervisor".
Trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, SENTRI, NEXUS & FAST) are acceptable forms of photo ID.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 3:56 pm

Trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, SENTRI, NEXUS & FAST) are acceptable forms of photo ID.
Well, yeah, the traveling public, by and large, knows that, and has known it from the beginning.

The point of discussions like this is commiseration over the fact that it took several years for that information to be disseminated to the TSOs whose job it was to know it.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Fine.

What is the penalty for a screener who tells a passenger "NEXUS is not acceptable; I need to see a Driver's License."?

What is the penalty for a screener who tells a passenger "Global Entry is only for international travel; you're on a domestic flight."?

What is the penalty for the supervisor who agrees with the screener and refuses to accept an "acceptable" form of photo ID?

Will you provide a phone number of someone that a passenger can contact (24/7) from the checkpoint when a screener and a supervisor both refuse to accept an "acceptable" form of photo ID? (Not the website: the screeners will just say the website is out of date or "we do it differently here.")

I said earlier in this thread that the problem is not in getting answers like the one you've given above. We can all read the website. Prove me wrong and show us that you can initiate real changes to address the inconsistency in application.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:50 pm
Company Representative, TSA

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Fine.

What is the penalty for a screener who tells a passenger "NEXUS is not acceptable; I need to see a Driver's License."?

What is the penalty for a screener who tells a passenger "Global Entry is only for international travel; you're on a domestic flight."?

What is the penalty for the supervisor who agrees with the screener and refuses to accept an "acceptable" form of photo ID?

Will you provide a phone number of someone that a passenger can contact (24/7) from the checkpoint when a screener and a supervisor both refuse to accept an "acceptable" form of photo ID? (Not the website: the screeners will just say the website is out of date or "we do it differently here.")

I said earlier in this thread that the problem is not in getting answers like the one you've given above. We can all read the website. Prove me wrong and show us that you can initiate real changes to address the inconsistency in application.
First, I would ask for a supervisor, since it is current TSA policy that trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, SENTRI, NEXUS & FAST) are acceptable forms of photo ID.

You can also send an email with details to [email protected]. Our contact center will forward the details to the FSD and/or their staff in order for the issue to be addressed.

(Quick reminder: even though they are acceptable forms of photo ID, as many of you on Flyertalk know, just showing these cards will not automatically grant you TSA Precheck access.)
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
First, I would ask for a supervisor, since it is current TSA policy that trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, SENTRI, NEXUS & FAST) are acceptable forms of photo ID.
You have not answered any of my four questions.

If it is current policy, I would expect the screener to know it, and not have to ask for a supervisor. What is the penalty when they do not know the policy?

Of course a passenger can ask for a supervisor but this does not always resolve the problem. There are numerous reports here in FT where the screener does not follow policy and where the supervisor agreed with the screener.
You can also send an email with details to [email protected]. Our contact center will forward the details to the FSD and/or their staff in order for the issue to be addressed.
Yeah, we've read the website, we've seen the email address. Sending an email and waiting for the contact center to contact the FSD and the FSD to talk to the staff could take days (if it ever happens) by which time the passenger is long gone. Various people here have tried to resolve issues through the contact center with less than stunning results. This post is interesting, for example. More to the point, people have received advice from the contact center which was then contradicted at the airport checkpoint.

I asked for a phone number so that the matter can be resolved at the checkpoint at the time.
(Quick reminder: even though they are acceptable forms of photo ID, as many of you on Flyertalk know, just showing these cards will not automatically grant you TSA Precheck access.)
Yeah, that wasn't one of my questions. This was about acceptable forms of ID. Focus.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:24 pm

Talk about some .........s in this thread. I hope you don't have children.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by flyerORD
Talk about some .........s in this thread. I hope you don't have children.
If you are referring to RadioGirl's last post, she is correct. Her questions were not answered. I guess you don't have very much experience with the TSA and the mumbo-jumbo that they often dish out. If TSAPressSec can't, due to "SSI", respond to questions about what happens to screeners who don't know what acceptable ID is, then he should say so. If he doesn't know what happens to screeners who don't know what acceptable ID is, then he should say he doesn't know.

He should also know, because he claims to have been a lurker here, that asking for a supervisor is often futile for a variety of reasons: there is no supervisor available or, if one is, they often agree with the screener even when the screener is just plain WRONG.

AFAIK, we still have not got a straight and complete answer to the nitro pill question in that we have yet to be told any prescription medication is allowed at any time and no TSA screener will ever take your prescription medication away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.