Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport cards and TSA: 2014 update?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
If you are referring to RadioGirl's last post, she is correct. Her questions were not answered. I guess you don't have very much experience with the TSA and the mumbo-jumbo that they often dish out. If TSAPressSec can't, due to "SSI", respond to questions about what happens to screeners who don't know what acceptable ID is, then he should say so. If he doesn't know what happens to screeners who don't know what acceptable ID is, then he should say he doesn't know.

He should also know, because he claims to have been a lurker here, that asking for a supervisor is often futile for a variety of reasons: there is no supervisor available or, if one is, they often agree with the screener even when the screener is just plain WRONG.

AFAIK, we still have not got a straight and complete answer to the nitro pill question in that we have yet to be told any prescription medication is allowed at any time and no TSA screener will ever take your prescription medication away.
I was referring to several people.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:58 am

Having returned from my trip, I can report that I didn't encounter any issues with presenting my passport card. I was 2 for 2. The non-TSA security person at one airport did sort of a double take at it and looked at both sides for a few seconds. But he then checked the name and uv mark with no protest in the slightest.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:22 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Fine.

What is the penalty for a screener who tells a passenger "NEXUS is not acceptable; I need to see a Driver's License."?

What is the penalty for a screener who tells a passenger "Global Entry is only for international travel; you're on a domestic flight."?

What is the penalty for the supervisor who agrees with the screener and refuses to accept an "acceptable" form of photo ID?
Do you really think a press secretary is going to know about, or be able to discuss, internal discipline procedures? Given that the frequency of TDCs refusing valid IDs has gone down, obviously there is some procedure in place to deal with this. It's great to have direct communication with a TSA representative (similar reps on the airline forums are very useful), so how about trying to have a sensible dialog rather than acting like he is accountable for the actions of every TSA employee at every airport in the country?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by cbn42
Do you really think a press secretary is going to know about, or be able to discuss, internal discipline procedures? Given that the frequency of TDCs refusing valid IDs has gone down, obviously there is some procedure in place to deal with this. It's great to have direct communication with a TSA representative (similar reps on the airline forums are very useful), so how about trying to have a sensible dialog rather than acting like he is accountable for the actions of every TSA employee at every airport in the country?
Funny you should bring that up today.

Just this week, as reported in this thread: TSA at MCO needs a geography lesson, it was reported that a TDC at MCO did not accept a Washington DC Driver's licence as valid.

A TSA Spokesman, who happens to our new TSA representative on this board, is quoted as saying "Officers are trained to identify fraudulent documents, which can potentially deter and detect individuals attempting to circumvent this layer of security."

It's a rather odd definition of "sensible dialog":
1) (OP of this thread): Is there still a problem with TSA recognizing passport cards?
Answer: It shouldn't be a problem because our policy says they're okay.

2) (MCO issue): Why didn't the MCO TDC recognize a valid DC licence?
Answer: Because they're trained to detect fraudulent documents.

Uh, okay.

I never said he was accountable for the actions of every TSA employee in the country; indeed, it's because he's not accountable for any actions of TSA that I think his contribution (telling us what the policy says SHOULD happen, which most of us already know) is well-meaning but not particularly enlightening.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Do you really think a press secretary is going to know about, or be able to discuss, internal discipline procedures?
It's been done before by government press secretaries (at least routinely without going into how those procedures are or are not applied in a particular individual's situation).
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

To update my previous post -- which started this thread -- I went through TSA checkpoints 3 times during my travels earlier this month. My new passport card was accepted without hesitation or comment all 3 times, at airports in different parts of the country.

Going forward, I think the passport card will be my ID of choice at the checkpoint.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: WFBF
Well, this goes straight to the problem. There can be an official rep here saying "Policy is X", and then a TSA employee at the airport can simply say "Nope, policy is Y, not X", and the only person who suffers visible negative consequences is the traveler -- if they ask for a supervisor or do anything other than submit, they can be labeled uncooperative, subjected to punitive secondary screening, delayed long enough to miss a flight, etc. etc.

In other words, this is a roundabout way of reminding everyone that there is no reliability and no accountability as a result of having an "official" presence on FT. Genuine, transparent, oversight and accountability -- including visible negative consequences to employees to violate policy -- is necessary to have effective security that retains the faith of the American people (or, failing that, pour encourager les autres -- if you see that your co-worker gets docked/suspended/fired for violations, that's a strong incentive for you to do things correctly).
Old Jul 20, 2014, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by passportcard
Going forward, I think the passport card will be my ID of choice at the checkpoint.
I started using my passport card as the main identification document (instead of driving licence) back in 2009. Never had a problem at airports, but it was rejected several times in some retail and banking establishments. Sometimes when store clerks ask me what it is, I joke that it is a new US national ID card (big fan of those). Mostly, people don't care, but in some conservative parts of the country it can invoke some angry reactions. Fun, fun, fun
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: United Mileageplus
I used my Global Entry Card at both SFO and LAX, and didn't have any problems. But at LAX the TSA officer started at the card for a few seconds but after shining the UV light let me through.

Never had a problem with the Passport Card at any airport so far.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:27 pm

This happened to me about two months ago.

Me: (giving my Passport Card to the TSA agent)
TSA dude: oh... where are you stationed?
Me: what? stationed?
TSA dude: yes, you work at Department of State?
Me: what?(still very much confused)
TSA dude: it says "United States Department of State" on your card (pointing to the bottom of the Passport Card)
Me: oh... okay...
TSA dude: must be nice to be stationed in foreign countries on government dollars! Me I'm stuck at the airport.
Me: thanks... have a great day.

I still can't stop shaking my head just thinking about that conversation. That airport is in a city that shares a land border with Canada, so I assume many city residents have Passport Cards.

Last edited by Karelia; Aug 12, 2014 at 11:33 pm
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Karelia
This happened to me about two months ago.

Me: (giving my Passport Card to the TSA agent)
TSA dude: oh... where are you stationed?
Me: what? stationed?
TSA dude: yes, you work at Department of State?
Me: what?(still very much confused)
TSA dude: it says "United States Department of State" on your card (pointing to the bottom of the Passport Card)
Me: oh... okay...
TSA dude: must be nice to be stationed in foreign countries on government dollars! Me I'm stuck at the airport.
Me: thanks... have a great day.

I still can't stop shaking my head just thinking about that conversation. That airport is in a city that shares a land border with Canada, so I assume many city residents have Passport Cards.
I've had much the same thing happen when using my US Passport Card -- with the TSA and also when using it elsewhere. Find the confusion sort of cute and ironic, given how actual State Department ID hasn't always flown as well as the US passport card. And I won't even go into what happens when people are trying to use State Department OFM-issued ID.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 13, 2014 at 3:07 am
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've had much the same thing happen when using my US Passport Card -- with the TSA and also when using it elsewhere. Find the confusion sort of cute and ironic, given how actual State Department ID hasn't always flown as well as the US passport card. And I won't even go into what happens when people are trying to use State Department OFM-issued ID.
also.... there appears to be something wrong with the U.S. education system.... on more then a few occasions, I've encountered college kids(from respectable top colleges) who have no idea what the Department of State does.

My favorite answer was from a UCLA junior who told me:

"yeah, that's the department that the federal government has in order to control all the 50 states so they don't get out of line and declare war on each other and that's why they had Hillary Clinton as the boss because she was the only one strong enough to confront all the states, especially big ones like Texas and New York...., also the department of state is where a newly-formed country can apply to join the US if they want to become the 51st state."

I should have heard my jaw drop to the floor, but my mind became frozen with confusion. I wonder if that kid was related to the former Miss South Carolina?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
also.... there appears to be something wrong with the U.S. education system.... on more then a few occasions, I've encountered college kids(from respectable top colleges) who have no idea what the Department of State does.

My favorite answer was from a UCLA junior who told me:

"yeah, that's the department that the federal government has in order to control all the 50 states so they don't get out of line and declare war on each other and that's why they had Hillary Clinton as the boss because she was the only one strong enough to confront all the states, especially big ones like Texas and New York...., also the department of state is where a newly-formed country can apply to join the US if they want to become the 51st state."

I should have heard my jaw drop to the floor, but my mind became frozen with confusion. I wonder if that kid was related to the former Miss South Carolina?
Wow...that's bad. I wonder if they think the Department of Labor is responsible for regulating births? I don't want to know how they would describe the purpose of the Department of the Interior.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I don't want to know how they would describe the purpose of the Department of the Interior.
They pick out all of the paint, wallpaper, and curtain colors for government buildings.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 6:48 pm

Yeah, the response from the kid was silly, and the quality of education is on the decline in the USA. I agree with all that, but you've got to admit that the name of this agency is somewhat misleading ;-) Most agencies abroad that are performing the same functions as the Department of State are called Ministry/Department of Foreign Affairs or Foreign Office (in the UK). You should really know what the DoS does because there is no way you can deduct this from its name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.