Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Passenger Freeze Drill

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Someone who is upset by what other passengers do at checkpoints could simply choose not to fly
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Badenoch
When Americans pound their chests about liberty, whine and complain about the TSA and its assorted outrages the response from this non-resident alien is: It's your system. You deserve it. Your government demands the rest of the world live by it in return for flying to America. Fair enough. But if the rest of the world can suck it up with minimal complaint then so can you.
The rest of the world can suck it as much as they want, but I'm going to do whatever I feel is right and within my power as an American to fix what's broken in my own government.

If you don't think that we Americans have not only the right, but the solemn responsibility to criticize our government and make peaceful, law-abiding efforts to fix it when it's broken and push back against it when it becomes abusive or wasteful, you obeviously don't understand what America is all about, or what it means to be an American.

Fair enough, since you aren't an American. But you're a guest in my country; you've got a lot of gall coming here as a guest and then ridiculing your hosts methods of participating in their own government.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I fully understand the agencies and geographies you've mentioned and chose to ignore an odious and moronic comparison. You have a free choice to fly or not and can avoid the TSA if you like. Those sent to the Gulag or Dachau were not offered the same option.
All of my relatives are in China. Google used to give driving directions there that took about a month (and included "jet ski" as a mode of transport multiple times) but now it just refuses.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
You really do display your ignorance of our situation. It is our country. We have a Constitution that many of us still respect. We will fight for it as out founders did. You are a foreigner making use of the liberty paid for with the blood and treasure of many generations. We grant you the privilege to enjoy it, and I do not wish to deny you that privilege. However, you have no right to tell me how I will defend my system and help to remove its brokenness. You have admitted that you are a non-resident alien. I will not look down upon the people and the defense of your country wherever it is, and I suggest you keep your mouth shut about what I do in mine. Your insulting and abusive language about my reaction to how in my small way defend my liberties disgusts me as you use those liberties without any cost to yourself or you ancestors. But, my disgust is personal. Our country has seen reason to grant you certain liberties and privileges. All I ask is that you respect those of us that wish to preserve them for ourselves and for you. Obviously that respect does not exist. Feel free to continue to comment. I will feel perfectly free to ignore it at it is not worth my time.
About teh chest pounding comment they made; you're doing it right there.

Americans (& I am one (among other things) so I do get to say it to you without you getting yr knickers in a twist in response) look like right twats when they trot out that "Constitution/Blood of our forefathers/Liberty" routine. American does not have a lease-hold on the whole democracy/liberty/freedom thing. Far from it. The sooner a majority of Americans stopped living in a fantasyland the sooner they might be regarded as sane. - ish.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
All of my relatives are in China. Google used to give driving directions there that took about a month (and included "jet ski" as a mode of transport multiple times) but now it just refuses.
Jet ski rentals they pointed to went out of business, huh? Pity.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WillCAD
But you're a guest in my country; you've got a lot of gall coming here as a guest and then ridiculing your hosts methods of participating in their own government.
No, they're pointing to all the chest-pounding-Uber-Americans-GreatestCountryInHistory-Rahrahrah types. If you're not doing that then he wasn't addressing you.

What's sad is that so many Americans can't spot the simple difference. Even worse are those (& there are plenty here on FT) that think any statement other than adoration is an attack on the US. The US, as a nation, needs to growthehellup.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
About teh chest pounding comment they made; you're doing it right there.

Americans (& I am one (among other things) so I do get to say it to you without you getting yr knickers in a twist in response) look like right twats when they trot out that "Constitution/Blood of our forefathers/Liberty" routine. American does not have a lease-hold on the whole democracy/liberty/freedom thing. Far from it. The sooner a majority of Americans stopped living in a fantasyland the sooner they might be regarded as sane. - ish.
You are of course correct. We do not have a lease-hold on the whole democracy/liberty/freedom thing. But, as an American it is the only one I have. I try to keep mine and I will support any other citizen of another country that wants to keep theirs.

I also think, and maybe we agree, that we live in a post-constitutional system in which the founding principles are routinely ignored.

Finally, you are again probably correct that there is some insanity in my wishing for something better or even different. I lament the disappearance of our liberties even though we have never been the perfect nation a lot of chest-pounders would have us believe. I am not a chest-pounder. I hang my head a lot in shame for what we have been and what we are becoming.

It is still the only place I have. I will try to stay sane keeping it from getting worse. I fear I am losing that battle. So, consider yourself correct again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.