Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Passenger Freeze Drill

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
I'd suggest a civil rights lawyer's office.
They likely wouldn't know either since there's no case law about moving during a Bravo AFAIK.

Providing you do not assault the TSA workers, what goes on at the checkpoint isn't criminal law anyway - it's administrative.
Page 9 of this TSA document (pdf) shows the sanctions (fines) which could be imposed should it be considered "interfering".

I agree it's a ridiculous antic but not worth getting exercised about IMO. Just adopt an exaggerated frozen stance and smile sweetly at them.
Old May 5, 2013, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
There is case law. Considerable: they have no power to stop or detain anyone outside of an administrative screening in a defined area for a defined purpose. Ignoring them while they conduct their unannounced training exercises in a public area is not going to be a losing proposition for the public. Now if they do it within the screening area it might become a tad murky.
Old May 5, 2013, 3:22 pm

There is case law. Considerable: they have no power to stop or detain anyone outside of an administrative screening in a defined area for a defined purpose. Ignoring them while they conduct their unannounced training exercises in a public area is not going to be a losing proposition for the public. Now if they do it within the screening area it might become a tad murky.
Sounds interesting. Do you have a few sources I could take a look at?
Old May 5, 2013, 3:35 pm
Suspended

It's been discussed here many, many times. The search function is your friend.

Or you might try this link which I think is a nice, albeit long, overview.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:21 pm

Ich bin Auslnderin. Nichts verstehe.

Bye bye.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by exbayern
Ich bin Auslnderin. Nichts verstehe. Bye bye.
I've had that backfire on me.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:26 pm

I've had that backfire on me.
The fact that you spoke German and someone replied in German?

Or the fact that you said that you are female?
Old May 5, 2013, 4:57 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by goalie
Every time I have experienced a TSO yell "BRAVO", my very audible response is "SIERRA"
& they don't get it, do they?
With no offense meant or intended at all but I think your handle fits the answer to your question, don't you?
Old May 5, 2013, 5:46 pm

I was specifically referring to cases, prosecutions or fines resulting from non-compliance with a "Bravo" farce umm..., drill.

And I believe they do only do it within the confines of a single checkpoint, although that definition too is a bit murky. I'd say if you are landside of the TDC station or out airside of the checkpoint "Bravo" doesn't apply.
Old May 5, 2013, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I was specifically referring to cases, prosecutions or fines resulting from non-compliance with a "Bravo" farce umm..., drill.

And I believe they do only do it within the confines of a single checkpoint, although that definition too is a bit murky. I'd say if you are landside of the TDC station or out airside of the checkpoint "Bravo" doesn't apply.
Look at the video - that was obviously not in the confines of the checkpoint.
Old May 5, 2013, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Once I leave the screening area, I don't have to play their games. I wish TSA good luck trying to prosecute me for refusing to "freeze" outside the screening area.
Old May 5, 2013, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Look at the video - that was obviously not in the confines of the checkpoint.
You're right. No need whatsoever to submit.
Old May 6, 2013, 12:10 am

It's been discussed here many, many times. The search function is your friend.

Or you might try this link which I think is a nice, albeit long, overview.
I'm not a big fan of looking at the threads for actual legal information. As I mentioned in a previous post, a lot of it deteriorates into baseless speculation or TSA bashing. It's too difficult to sift through all of it to find credible references.

With that said, I appreciate the link!
Old May 6, 2013, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by halls120
Once I leave the screening area, I don't have to play their games. I wish TSA good luck trying to prosecute me for refusing to "freeze" outside the screening area.
Right. And that's why I don't think we'll ever find any case law on this point: nobody would ever be charged. Even inside the screening area once you've completed screening, "interfering with the screening process" is a real stretch. By definition, they've stopped the screening process. What are you interfering with?
Old May 6, 2013, 8:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by exbayern
The fact that you spoke German and someone replied in German? Or the fact that you said that you are female?
The former. The latter would be a tricky claim to pull off. Unless I were to also claim I were a Russian female power lifter. I might be able to swing that. Except for not being manly enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.