Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Passenger Freeze Drill

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by goalie
With no offense meant or intended at all but I think your handle fits the answer to your question, don't you?
It fits the answer to many questions.

Last edited by SeriouslyLost; May 6, 2013 at 8:17 am
Old May 6, 2013, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I was specifically referring to cases, prosecutions or fines resulting from non-compliance with a "Bravo" farce umm..., drill.
Ah, I misunderstood then. I thought you were meaning in general.

And I believe they do only do it within the confines of a single checkpoint, although that definition too is a bit murky. I'd say if you are landside of the TDC station or out airside of the checkpoint "Bravo" doesn't apply.
Hmm. I've only seen one once and it was between gates at and well away from the screening area. Aside from that I've watched vids of the games and I've never seen one happen inside a screening area. Hardly conclusive, but that's the impression I had.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Hmm. I've only seen one once and it was between gates at and well away from the screening area. Aside from that I've watched vids of the games and I've never seen one happen inside a screening area. Hardly conclusive, but that's the impression I had.
That makes even less sense then, if that's in fact possible.

I've never had the pleasure of participating but I thought the point of a Bravo was to shut down the checkpoint. Why on earth freeze everyone at the gate or anywhere else? Rhetorical question - TSA logic at its finest.

Dolts.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:35 am

I've never had the pleasure of participating but I thought the point of a Bravo was to shut down the checkpoint. Why on earth freeze everyone at the gate or anywhere else?
Oh, I can imagine a few plausible reasons (other than the drill, of course).
  • Someone has left the checkpoint and a TSO needs to run through the crowd to find them; freezing everyone in place makes it easier to run through the crowd.
  • A TSO, in the midst of screening, lost track of a potentially dangerous item and wants everyone to hold position while the TSOs on duty figure out where it is.
  • A genuinely dangerous item is discovered, and rather than shouting "OMG IT'S A BOMB RUN FOR YOUR LIVES" and causing a panic (which might set off the device), the TSOs call for everyone to hold position while they determine how to clear the area calmly and quickly.

Of course, none of that is conveyed by shouting in militaristic-style code words and not offering any explanations to the 21st layer of security.
Old May 6, 2013, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
...a TSO needs to run...
Destroyed your credibility right there .
Old May 6, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by cottonmather0
Unfortunately, if you're still actually in the checkpoint when this happens, you're screwed and you had better play along or they'll string you up for noncooperation with the actual screening process.
last time I played the Bravo game, I had literally just stepped out of the BKSX machine, while the chapstick in my pocket showed as an anomaly. My spouse was about to enter the machine and our bags were inside of the X Ray tunnel, so no point to going anywhere else. Stood there for about 5 minutes, then got tired of standing so I leaned on their ETD table 5 feet away. TSO told me to go back to where I was standing, I told him "thanks, but I'm more comfortable here". He told me to move again. I told him I'd move back to over by the BKSX machine if he'd bring that chair over there for me to sit on. He then let me sit on the ETD table where I was already sitting.

Once the All Clear was given, they attempted to clear the chapstick anomaly by sending me through the BKSX again. I refused to get a second dose of radiation. A 3 striper was summoned to find out why the big hold up. I showed him the chapstick in my pocket, but the clerk wanted to send me for a re-scan. The 3 striper cleared me and had a talk with the clerk as I walked off.
Old May 6, 2013, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
... a TSO needs to run ...
Destroyed your credibility right there .
I said needs to run ... I didn't say anything about how well they run ...
Old May 7, 2013, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Bravo, maestro, bravo!
Old May 10, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Easy way around the few times I've encountered one post-checkpoint: pretend my cell phone just rang, take the call, and walk away. I even got to shush a two-striper who tried to get in my face as I walked away, and just replied that I was on an important call and would appreciate his not disturbing me again.
Old May 11, 2013, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Good advice above.
Or just get stuck in "freeze" mode for 45 minutes just to toy with them.
They'll mill around you figuring how to unfreeze you.
Afterwards, claim you were low on anti-freeze.
Old May 11, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yandosan
Good advice above.
Or just get stuck in "freeze" mode for 45 minutes just to toy with them.
They'll mill around you figuring how to unfreeze you.
Afterwards, claim you were low on anti-freeze.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: CO Platinum
Freeze Game and Airport Police

The other day, I was near a checkpoint (trying to go to the food court area) when an incident started to occur at the checkpoint. I believe it was a passenger who was walking up to the exit. Anyway, the blue goons all started yelling for everyone to freeze. I declined to play along.

While I attempted to continue away from the checkpoint, I was physically assaulted by one of the glue goons (i.e. he grabbed by shoulder in an attempt to get me to freeze). I turned around and walked the other way, around several other blue goons. Meanwhile, several goons followed me in a slow game of chase.

Eventually a LEO came on the scene and told me I needed to go back through screening (I had already been through screening at another checkpoint). I was trying to explain to the LEO that I was not in the checkpoint, etc., but he threatened me with arrest. I told the LEO that since he was a LEO, I would obviously follow his orders.

I walked back with the LEO to the checkpoint area, which now had about three other LEO's, an army of blue goons, and a suit (TSM). One of the LEO's asked for my ID. I told a pair of the LEO's that a TSO does not have the authority to force me to stop outside of a checkpoint. The LEO's did not disagree, but suggested I should comply with their "request" to stop, as I was in the 'checkpoint area' and he made a sweeping motion to indicate some arbitrary zone. I reiterated that I did not do anything wrong--and was calm the entire time.

About 5-10 minutes after standing there with the pair of LEO, the LEO would took my ID came back with my ID and said something about being given 'bad information'. Apparently, they thought I had breached the checkpoint. Meanwhile, the TSM indicated he would review the video regarding the "assault" I received from the TSO. But of course, I'm not anticipating any finding.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by mulieri
About 5-10 minutes after standing there with the pair of LEO, the LEO would took my ID came back with my ID and said something about being given 'bad information'. Apparently, they thought I had breached the checkpoint.
You mean the TSA workers lied?

Oh, say it ain't so.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: *Alliance
And if you are hearing-impaired, deaf and don't hear "freeze" what happens?
(slight segue -- at EWR had the TSA ask me to take my hearing aids out of my ears so he could scan them).
Old Jun 24, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonnerbl
And if you are hearing-impaired, deaf and don't hear "freeze" what happens?
(slight segue -- at EWR had the TSA ask me to take my hearing aids out of my ears so he could scan them).
I don't stop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.