Wiki Posts
Search

Sequester Security Nightmare?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
What else did it say?
Subject:.......... 100 – Sequestration Update

On March 1, sequestration took effect, and on March 26, TSA’s FY13 budget was enacted. I want to make sure we continue to provide you information about the combined impact on TSA.

As I wrote in a TSA-wide March 7 email broadcast, our guiding principle is mission first and we will continue to focus on our three goals of risk-based security, employee engagement, and organizational efficiencies. Together we can achieve our goals, and to ensure our success, I am asking that everyone adhere to the following guidelines during sequestration.

Most recently, Security Operations directed airports to limit or freeze hiring of TSOs in order to reduce spending to achieve budget levels to operate within our budget as adjusted for the sequestration. Airports have different levels of attrition that will determine their hiring needs and this approach provides more operational flexibility than a nationwide hiring freeze. Personnel levels at each airport are being monitored to best maintain operational capabilities at budget levels.

Making necessary adjustments to manage our budgeted level is something we do every year, but this year with the sequestration it has been particularly challenging. Other programs may take similar actions to live within their budget. While furloughs are not currently in effect, if circumstances change and furloughs are required, impacted employees will be provided notification 30 days prior to the effective date of the furlough.

In addition, as a reminder, only travel that is considered mission critical and approved by the Assistant Administrators (the top officials for TSA’s 18 Offices) will be allowed. Mission critical travel is travel associated with security operations such as Federal Air Marshal missions, security operations at the airports, and responding to natural disasters. Travel related to training is not deemed to be mission critical unless the appropriate Assistant Administrator determines that the training is directly related to security operations. All waivers to this restriction must be submitted to and approved by the Assistant Administrator.

Also, as indicated in early March, we have canceled previously approved conferences, meetings that require travel, and training conferences. Likewise, all new conferences have been suspended.

Bonus actions, including performance bonuses, special act awards, and on-the-spot awards, that were not processed by February 28, 2013, have been suspended. Time off awards are still permitted under heightened scrutiny, but are frozen at 2010 levels.

Thank you for your hard work and service to our nation and your commitment to the safety of the traveling public.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:10 pm
fwh

Originally Posted by exbayern
That may be an opportunity for managers to improve efficiency. The number of people who stand around doing absolutely nothing at TSA checkpoints is astounding. I've never seen that elsewhere. And the amount of goofing off is also an annoyance.

(I know, I know, I'm an optimist, but really any time like this should be an opportunity for managers to see where they can cut the fat and the waste and reallocate resources more effectively)
Well why would they? They are just going to slow the lines down to punish you and me.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Not sure if it's sequester related or not, but some airports with lower traffic numbers which had a single strip search machine have lost the machines to higher traffic airports in recent months.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Not sure if it's sequester related or not, but some airports with lower traffic numbers which had a single strip search machine have lost the machines to higher traffic airports in recent months.
All airports are having the Rapiscans removed, I am not surprised that they may be moving the L3 machines due to supply issues.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ellinj
All airports are having the Rapiscans removed, I am not surprised that they may be moving the L3 machines due to supply issues.
Various US airports had the MMW type of strip-search machines removed, to be used at higher traffic airports, some -- but not all -- of which have/had back scatter X-ray machines. Some of those airports that lost the MMW machines never had the Rapiscans.

Supply or money issues, just glad that even the MMW machines have been removed from some airports that neve had the back-scatter X-ray strip search machines.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Two data points from today. They may not mean anything.

MDW about 9 a.m.: Wide open, no waiting in either the regular or priority lanes. It was just about as open as I have ever seen MDW mid day.

BNA about 1:30 p.m.: An absolute zoo. Passengers on the C side were backed up in six or seven lines all the way back into ticketing and nearly to the outside doors. Maybe they were making good on their promise to back everything up due to the sequester. Maybe just heavy traffic. The concourse itself was packed as well so maybe it was just a busy afternoon.

I fly out again Sunday. Going to add an hour just in case.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA furloughs may not matter so much.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/2203...kick-in-sunday

Air Traffic Controller furloughs set to kick in Sunday
Long delays are expected to follow the FAA mandatory furlough days set to start Sunday. It could result in flight delays of more than three hours in Atlanta, as well as significant delays at major airports across the country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.