testing eye drops

Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
Others will have someone standing there to shout at you for leaving your belt on even though the guy at the last airport said it was ok to do so.
And that seems to be the root of many problems. The TSA can't even train its own personnel not to shout at people for following the directions they've been already been given.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 3:04 pm

I'd almost agree with you here, almost, Ron, except that there's a fundamental flaw in your logic, and it occurs when you assume that the directions at an airport checkpoint, which most people encounter a handful of times a year, are as simple as the directions for using dish soap, which most people encounter every 48 hours or so.

here's some objective data to back you up...
http://www.elliott.org/blog/poll-air...out-tsa-rules/
Old Jul 12, 2012, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I trust that you are the expert and I do not want to waste your time so some 6th grade y/n questions to satisfy my curiosity.

Does room temperature H2O2 have a relatively low volatility so it gives off almost no free molecules as vapor?
Correct, H2O2 has a high boiling point, so almost no molecules will vaporize (certainly not enough to be detected by a low sensitivity method such as a test strip). Even close to the boiling point of H2O2 (150 oC), because of its instability, most of it will decompose into water and O2, and not form vapors. You can only vaporize H2O2 effectively with special equipment, which is used to sterilize environments (and makes them unihabitable for humans during the process).

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
If it does give off molecules as vapors, are the vapors heavier than air and thus would stay in the container or fall to the ground?
OK, that was definately 6th grade! No. Being in vapor form means they fly around. There is plenty of O2 floating around in the air, and the difference in mass between O2 and H2O2 is very small. But the reality is that the amount of H2O2 in gas form will be very small at any given time, due to the low ability of this molecule to vaporize.

Last edited by BubbaLoop; Jul 12, 2012 at 3:47 pm
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:02 pm

Here's the catch with your approach, though. Laundry detergent, dishwasher soap and gasoline are items we use every day. The people who fail to follow the directions there are, in fact, either practically challenged or intentionally misusing the product.
You missed a third. ‘Have never read the directions or warnings’. Should that be blamed on the product manufacturer?

That said, most American families run their dishwasher ever couple of days (I'd guess). That's, give or take, 182 exposures to dish soap a year. The average American family will all jump on an airplane once or twice a year, at most, as a leisure traveler. Now, let's look at the instructions that the leisure travelers are expected by the TSA to memorize and follow (my commentary based on experience in parentheses):

1. Pack liquids, gels and aerosols into a one-quart, clear, resealable plastic baggie.

2. Any containers over 3.4 oz. will be (not allowed into the sterile area) confiscated . (Even if it's a 4 oz. tube of toothpaste that's 3/4ths empty.)

3. Have any medically-necessary liquids out and ready to open for further inspection. (Depending on the airport, your TSO might also fancy themselves a doctor, so be prepared to either explain what the medication is and why you need it or argue with a supervisor.)

4. Take off your coat, even if it's just a windbreaker.

5. Take off your belt.

6. Take off your shoes.

7. Take your laptop out of the bag to be screened separately. (Depending on the airport, you might get yelled at for leaving your 10" netbook in the bag. You might get yelled at for taking it out. You might be angrily asked by a TSO what part of "take your laptop out" you didn't understand--as they wave the iPad they just took out of your otherwise-empty laptop bag in front of your face.)

8. Have your boarding pass and ID ready for every member of your party that requires one. (Either approach the TDC together or approach it one-by-one, depends on airport. You're liable to get barked at either way.)

9. Step into that machine you've never seen before and assume the position. (Even the people standing next to it don't know how it works beyond shouting over and over that it's not radiation.)

10. Wait on the mat for a clear. (But since most TSOs don't bother to mention that part, you're just going to get yelled at for stepping off the mat to get your belongings before the green screen comes up.)
(small corrections mine)

All the more reason to actually READ the rules and make preparations for the trip. Yet even seasoned flyers miss things occasionally and they have had hundreds of checkpoint screenings.

And those are just the written/unwritten rules of the checkpoint I can think of--I haven't even touched on inside the terminal and gate checks. There are two huge problems I see there. One, the TSA expects people to memorize a laundry list of inane rules when, realistically, they might only see an airport twice a year--once on the way out, and once on the way home.
Memorize? Not hardly. It’s the reason we post signs, record announcements, and yes have people telling the passengers what they need to do. Honestly if we demanded that they memorize the rules before flight then there would be very few people getting into the sterile area. Lets try and keep the discussion rational, shall we?

Two is simple consistency. Many airports will tell you that you don't have to take a non-metallic belt off to go through a WTMD. Many will tell you that you can keep your belt on regardless of screening type. Others will have someone standing there to shout at you for leaving your belt on even though the guy at the last airport said it was ok to do so.
Some belts will set off the WTMD, some wont. It’s a judgment call by the TSO as to if a particular belt might make it through or not. Sometimes we get it wrong, sometimes we don’t.

The "what qualifies as a laptop" rule frequently drives me up a wall, as I often travel with a laptop, a netbook and a tablet. I always take the laptop out, but I am most certainly not going to leave $3,000+ worth of computer equipment in bins for the first interested party to walk away with while I'm being held up by a false positive on the ATD. I'll leave the netbook and iPad in my locked laptop bag, and deal with the Spanish Inquisition over why my bag is locked ("Because CNN is full of stories of people like you walking off with things like the contents of that bag.") and why I left computer equipment in there in the first place.
Not sure what an ATD is, but OK I get the general concept. Ask that the items be brought into your presence while the additional screening is being conducted. You have that right. And feel free to lock your bag, we wont mind. You may be asked to open the lock, and if unable there is a choice you will need to make. Either we can cut the lock / break into the bag, or not allow that bag into the sterile area. See, another choice!!

I'd almost agree with you here, almost, Ron, except that there's a fundamental flaw in your logic, and it occurs when you assume that the directions at an airport checkpoint, which most people encounter a handful of times a year, are as simple as the directions for using dish soap, which most people encounter every 48 hours or so.
Well, at least we are getting closer, light at the end of the tunnel I guess. Long tunnel, but still…

Originally Posted by ratherhike
here's some objective data to back you up...
http://www.elliott.org/blog/poll-air...out-tsa-rules/
Interesting, I’d not seen that one before (thanks BTW). “according to a poll conducted in cooperation with the Consumer Travel Alliance.” “in cooperation with”. Hmmm, I wonder who actually commissioned the poll? The answer to that question might be very telling as to why the numbers are the way they are.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
As a matter of interest, could you actually carry concentrated H2O2 in a 'typical' airport beverage container - plastic bottle, paper cup etc? I'm a naval historian rather than a scientist and I know the Germans had enormous trouble finding suitable containers when they were using the stuff for submarine propulsion, obviously they did not have modern plastic packaging available.

Also surely the TSA should regularly test the terminal air quality so as to ensure there is no contamination of the 'tests'.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
8. Have your boarding pass and ID ready for every member of your party that requires one. (Either approach the TDC together or approach it one-by-one, depends on airport. You're liable to get barked at either way.)
9. Anticipate whether or not the boarding pass scribbler will have failed to pay attention during training and therefore will not recognize the ID you present, even though it is prominently listed on the TSA's website as an acceptable form of ID.

10. Recognize that the failure of a screening clerk to know and do his job is your fault.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by TSORon
All the more reason to actually READ the rules and make preparations for the trip. Yet even seasoned flyers miss things occasionally and they have had hundreds of checkpoint screenings.
How about making sure that the TSA follows their own rules? As a frequent traveler who carries meds, I can assure you that just about every week I meet another TSA agent who thinks he's a doctor, and who thinks he knows better, and who feels the need to challenge me and my condition.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dimramon
How about making sure that the TSA follows their own rules?
What, more retraining for the silly gits who didn't learn anything the first time? Or the second?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:57 pm

[QUOTE=TSORon;18934121]
You missed a third. ‘Have never read the directions or warnings’. Should that be blamed on the product manufacturer?
Who cares when the "manufacturer" neither knows the rule nor sticks to them?

TSO's don't know the rules despite being in charge of enforcing them. I think a "seasoned traveler" gets a pass before a TSO.

Some belts will set off the WTMD, some wont. It’s a judgment call by the TSO as to if a particular belt might make it through or not. Sometimes we get it wrong, sometimes we don’t.
Most airports have an "all belts off" policy. I can't think of the last time a TSO was given a chance to make a judgement call. I've flown with a simple nylon belt with a plastic buckle, and I have to take it off every time. It's quite pathetic.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
People don't have to read directions to know how to use dish or laundry soap. It's intuitive. Why can't the process for going through a checkpoint be as simple and intuitive as loading a dishwasher?

I'm picking up a bit of a theme to your argument here: "If people have problems at the checkpoint, it's their fault for not knowing the rules."

To bring back a point made earlier in the thread (by Caradoc, I believe), it's not our fault. As I pointed out in my last post, and you acknowledged with the laptop scenario, the rules vary from airport to airport. Shoot, the rules vary from checkpoint to checkpoint at some airports I've been through. And even when the rules are constant, there's no guarantee that the TSOs are following them, as evidenced by the NEXUS/SENTRI card adventures. I have great personal evidence of the variation in rules with the aforementioned laptop game, the belt game (can it stay or must it go?), even the Freedom Baggie game. A few quick examples of the Freedom Baggie game:

DEN: Liquids can be mixed with any other dry toiletries in the same container (for the sake of packing less). The container does not have to be a resealable baggie; a clear, plastic, reasonably-sized toiletry kit will get through just fine.
MSP C/P4: Liquids can be combined with other dry toiletries, but they must be in a clear, plastic sandwich baggie.
MSP C/P1: Liquids can not be combined with other dry toiletries, and must be in a clear, plastic sandwich baggie.
SLC: Liquids must be alone, but they may be placed in some other form of plastic bag-like container.

Note the middle two: different rules, same airport. I'm sure it's not designed that way; rather, there happen to be screeners at MSP who aren't on the same page. They're not even in the same chapter, so someone can be sent through without a hitch one day, then barked at and asked if they want to fly today the next.

Memorize? Not hardly. It’s the reason we post signs, record announcements, and yes have people telling the passengers what they need to do. Honestly if we demanded that they memorize the rules before flight then there would be very few people getting into the sterile area. Lets try and keep the discussion rational, shall we?
No, one does not have to memorize everything. But there are certain things that, if not done by the time one arrives at the airport, leaves that person le screwed. Should people reasonably be expected to pack next to their computer so they do everything "right" by website standards (but not necessarily by TSO standards)?

Not sure what an ATD is, but OK I get the general concept. Ask that the items be brought into your presence while the additional screening is being conducted. You have that right. And feel free to lock your bag, we wont mind. You may be asked to open the lock, and if unable there is a choice you will need to make. Either we can cut the lock / break into the bag, or not allow that bag into the sterile area. See, another choice!!
ATD is the technology that is attached to MMWs (and, now, BKSX?) that detects "anomalies" on a person. It's the stuff I love, because it's always finding "anomalies" on my right ankle, or my left shoulder, or my left shin, etc.

I love how you completely dodge the point of the comment here, as well. Rather than addressing the underlying problem (TSOs do not know what the frappucino their own SOP says is a laptop), you've attempted to make it into a problem with the way I pack. Believe it or not, I don't set out to make the lives of TSOs more difficult (not anymore, anyway). I also, however, refuse to make my life more difficult in order to simplify theirs. Leaving a ton of computer equipment in bins for the first interested party--TSO, pax, airport worker, crew, whatever--is something that would make my life considerably more difficult than dealing with being barked at once again because a one-striper doesn't know an iPad from a MacBook.

Well, at least we are getting closer, light at the end of the tunnel I guess. Long tunnel, but still…
I wish I could respect the TSA, I really do. Thing is, respect is earned, not given. The TSA I deal with now is not an organization worthy of respect. That's not to say there aren't some great TSOs out there, but there are tons who range from stubbornly misinformed to power-tripper to criminal. If a uniform set of simple rules were to be developed and followed by all TSOs at all airports, it would go a long way. At least then we'd know what rules we're expected to play by, right?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond

I wish I could respect the TSA, I really do. Thing is, respect is earned, not given. The TSA I deal with now is not an organization worthy of respect. That's not to say there aren't some great TSOs out there, but there are tons who range from stubbornly misinformed to power-tripper to criminal. If a uniform set of simple rules were to be developed and followed by all TSOs at all airports, it would go a long way. At least then we'd know what rules we're expected to play by, right?
I go through TSA CP's about 80-100 times per year, most at my home airport, of course. Every time, without exception, the thing that concerns me is "Well, I wonder what the rules are today?"
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:56 am
Suspended

Should people reasonably be expected to pack next to their computer so they do everything "right" by website standards (but not necessarily by TSO standards)?
When they get to the airport, some TSA clerk will scream at them anyway for "doing it wrong" because "the website is out of date."
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:21 am

People don't have to read directions to know how to use dish or laundry soap. It's intuitive. Why can't the process for going through a checkpoint be as simple and intuitive as loading a dishwasher?
Intuitive? Wow, you have a greater faith in the capabilities of your fellow humans than I do. Unfortunately history shows us that human nature being what it is there is little that our fellow humans cant use to harm themselves or others with, intentionally or not.

I'm picking up a bit of a theme to your argument here: "If people have problems at the checkpoint, it's their fault for not knowing the rules."
No, not it. It’s the reason we have people helping, giving instructions. People have problems when they argue about the rules that they have not read or prepared for. Knowing the rules is a responsibility, one that less than half of passengers accept, and we know this. Its why part of our training is to assist the passenger in meeting the requirements. But then to turn around and argue about them? That’s the problem.

To bring back a point made earlier in the thread (by Caradoc, I believe), it's not our fault. As I pointed out in my last post, and you acknowledged with the laptop scenario, the rules vary from airport to airport. Shoot, the rules vary from checkpoint to checkpoint at some airports I've been through. And even when the rules are constant, there's no guarantee that the TSOs are following them, as evidenced by the NEXUS/SENTRI card adventures. I have great personal evidence of the variation in rules with the aforementioned laptop game, the belt game (can it stay or must it go?), even the Freedom Baggie game. A few quick examples of the Freedom Baggie game:
The “problem” with rules that the TSA has, and every other large scale endeavor in human history, is that different people take away different meaning from the same words. While one FSD may read the SOP to mean meds in a quart sized baggie, another may read it to mean “will fit in a quart sized baggie”, and then the differences start. They read the same SOP yet draw different conclusions. And it’s not just TSA, its everywhere. It’s human nature, and there is no way to completely remove that from our nature.

Note the middle two: different rules, same airport. I'm sure it's not designed that way; rather, there happen to be screeners at MSP who aren't on the same page. They're not even in the same chapter, so someone can be sent through without a hitch one day, then barked at and asked if they want to fly today the next.
That part of human nature is not limited to leaders, it’s a part of us all. No amount of training or even brainwashing will fix it, and robots cannot do our job.

No, one does not have to memorize everything. But there are certain things that, if not done by the time one arrives at the airport, leaves that person le screwed. Should people reasonably be expected to pack next to their computer so they do everything "right" by website standards (but not necessarily by TSO standards)?
Again, no. It’s why we have people explaining how to transit the checkpoint. And again, even if they had the rules memorized, human nature as explained above would exert itself and one passenger would have read the rule and come to an understanding far different than any others. Passengers aint robots either.

ATD is the technology that is attached to MMWs (and, now, BKSX?) that detects "anomalies" on a person. It's the stuff I love, because it's always finding "anomalies" on my right ankle, or my left shoulder, or my left shin, etc.
Ahh, we call it ATR.

I love how you completely dodge the point of the comment here, as well. Rather than addressing the underlying problem (TSOs do not know what the frappucino their own SOP says is a laptop), you've attempted to make it into a problem with the way I pack. Believe it or not, I don't set out to make the lives of TSOs more difficult (not anymore, anyway). I also, however, refuse to make my life more difficult in order to simplify theirs. Leaving a ton of computer equipment in bins for the first interested party--TSO, pax, airport worker, crew, whatever--is something that would make my life considerably more difficult than dealing with being barked at once again because a one-striper doesn't know an iPad from a MacBook.
I don’t dodge them, I ignore them. Most don’t even deserve an answer due to the blatant intentional ignorance exhibited in them. Why should I continue to explain the facts to those who don’t really want to know them?

I wish I could eat apple pie all day long and not get fat, but I know better. You give each TSO the respect you think they deserve, and separately give the TSA the respect you think it deserves. That’s how honest people do it. The individual is not the institution, and the institution does not define the individual. If all you see is the uniform then you are doing a disservice to the individual as well as the rest of humanity, yourself included. That’s how respect actually works, each individual makes their own decisions on what and how much (if at all). I “respect” the authority of the supervisors I work with because someone thought they had earned their position, that does not mean that I respect the individual in the position. I may think he or she is a total jerk, but it’s not my place to judge their competence.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
You give each TSO the respect you think they deserve, and separately give the TSA the respect you think it deserves.
So zero then?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
The “problem” with rules that the TSA has, and every other large scale endeavor in human history, is that different people take away different meaning from the same words. While one FSD may read the SOP to mean meds in a quart sized baggie, another may read it to mean “will fit in a quart sized baggie”, and then the differences start. They read the same SOP yet draw different conclusions. And it’s not just TSA, its everywhere. It’s human nature, and there is no way to completely remove that from our nature.
But, see, that's the thing. If the words were written clearly (and I admit, I haven't seen them), there would be no ambiguity in there. If the rules say, "Liquids, gels and aerosols must be separated from all other toiletries and placed in a one-quart resealable plastic bag," where is the room for error on the part of the FSD? If things are written in clear, plain, direct English, one would hope that those in charge of enforcing those rules have a good understanding of them.

I'm not asking for a TSO to stand there with a ruler so that my 10" netbook can go through the X-ray without a fight. Nitpicking like that would be a disaster and could easily drive checkpoints to a standstill, but is it too much to ask that the FSD ensure his/her screeners have a clear understanding of laptop vs. tablet?

I would genuinely have much less of an issue with the TSA if the rules were uniform vs. airport-by-airport. Different people will interpret things differently--unless the directives are written in a crystal-clear manner and enforced as such.

I don’t dodge them, I ignore them. Most don’t even deserve an answer due to the blatant intentional ignorance exhibited in them. Why should I continue to explain the facts to those who don’t really want to know them?
I guess you and I have a differing opinion on what constitutes a "fact" then. What you've presented are your own opinions about why people don't follow the guidelines at checkpoints, backed up by factual accounts from your own experience. I've, likewise, largely presented my own opinions backed up with factual experiences. I think I've made the underlying question here pretty clear, but I'll elaborate on it a little further: I'm sure you've seen the TSA SOP. I wouldn't ask you to jeopardize your job by revealing SSI, but I will ask you if the verbiage in there is crystal clear, or if it leaves lots of room for interpretation. If the verbiage is crystal clear, why do I still see screeners seemingly making up their own rules, and supervisors not addressing it?

You give each TSO the respect you think they deserve, and separately give the TSA the respect you think it deserves. That’s how honest people do it.
Well, I like to think I'm an honest person, and that's how I go about deciding where my respect ends up. I'm probably in the minority here when I say that I'm pleasant with TSOs so long as they're pleasant with me. That said, if one is standing next to me barking their lungs out at 4:00 AM when I'm the only person in line, then asking me if I've removed my laptop after watching me do so before finally inquiring loudly as to why I've developed an attitude towards them, well, no. They're not going to get any respect. They're most likely going to be asked to summon a supervisor if they feel the need for any further communication with me, as I'm done dealing with them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.