Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Canada: Transgendered may be denied boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada: Transgendered may be denied boarding

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2012, 8:06 am

what's with the asterisk?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Mikey likes it
what's with the asterisk?
Easier/faster and more inclusive way of denoting both transexual and/or transgendered individuals. (The same way that writing veg*n can denote both vegan and/or vegetarian.)

Last edited by firequall; Feb 12, 2012 at 1:29 am
Old Feb 12, 2012, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by firequall
The issue is for those trans* persons who are hoping to pass as one gender without or prior to transitioning.
I think what was meant by "it's not likely to be an issue" is that it's highly unlikely, even given the regulation, that an airline would actually deny boarding for such a reason. I agree with that and that indeed seems to be the case since if it had actually happened, we'd have heard about it. The regulations do need to be clarified, of course, since even a theoretical possibility is a problem, but, in practice, it seems unlikely this will acttually affect anybody.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:52 am

TSA does not take into consideration a "Doctor's" note. Do you have the documentation to prove you are who you are, is what is required. The gender issue comes in to play if you are "patted" down. Ask for private screening.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
I think what was meant by "it's not likely to be an issue" is that it's highly unlikely, even given the regulation, that an airline would actually deny boarding for such a reason. I agree with that and that indeed seems to be the case since if it had actually happened, we'd have heard about it. The regulations do need to be clarified, of course, since even a theoretical possibility is a problem, but, in practice, it seems unlikely this will acttually affect anybody.
While I do see your point and generally agree that airlines likely won't enforce it, this logic is on par with cops not pulling people over for going over the speed limit by 5-10km/h. By law they have every right to, yet most don't. This still doesn't excuse the fact that they still have to the power to, and all it takes is one incident for this regular to explode all over the news. The very fact that this regulation exists is unsettling.

Originally Posted by Dumberthan
TSA does not take into consideration a "Doctor's" note. Do you have the documentation to prove you are who you are, is what is required. The gender issue comes in to play if you are "patted" down. Ask for private screening.
Canada does not have the TSA, nor do we have the "enhanced" pat downs. While the lack or presence of a penis may not necessarily be detectable under CATSA's pat down, those who bind may trigger a more thorough inspection. Even then, this can very well be a traumatic and embarrassing situation for those who want nothing more than the pass as their self-identified gender and do not want to explain exactly what is going on. A private screening does not solve the issue of the individual not wanting to disclose or explain their biological gender. Oftentimes the trans* community faces even more discrimination, ignorance, and intolerance than the gay community does and this regulation will only help perpetuate this unless all screeners undergo some form of sensitivity training (which doesn't necessarily solve personal prejudice).
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by firequall
The very fact that this regulation exists is unsettling.
Re-read what I wrote: I certainly agree with that. However, I don't agree with some of the people in the trans community who seem to feel that this was purposely aimed at them.

Oftentimes the trans* community faces even more discrimination, ignorance, and intolerance than the gay community does and this regulation will only help perpetuate this unless all screeners undergo some form of sensitivity training (which doesn't necessarily solve personal prejudice).
Indeed just yesterday, I had a conversation with the manager of a fancy restaurant about the issues that can result when a server unnecessarily addresses two people at a table as "you women" when the server has no way to know how they gender-identify. She simply hadn't given it any thought whatsoever and this was in city that has a significant gay population.

I think this regulation is nothing more than an overzealous version of "make sure the ID matches the person" giving absolutely no thought to the trans issue. And that's why I don't see it as a problem in practice: airline employees will most likely implement this in the "spirit of the law" (ID must match passenger) and once they're convinced of a match, they're done. The practical implications of this aren't likely to be much worse than those of simply having the sex on the ID and using it as "gender" in the first place, which itself is offensive to the community.

Last edited by RichardKenner; Feb 13, 2012 at 5:22 am
Old Feb 13, 2012, 3:32 pm

Location: either in Salishaan, or at an isolated colliery in the Canadian northland
Programs: AC P75: previously, quintuple secret pterodactyl wings, every year
The majority of gender-corrective surgeries are done overseas (outside North America), even to this day. This change in regulations is potentially a very real problem for people seeking to make that journey.

33 years ago, when I went from Canada for a summer-long sojourn in the south of England, I had the practical option of travelling by ship, admittedly much more slowly and at greater expense (through various lucky chances I had obtained a non-revenue first-class air ticket for that journey).

The option to travel by ship is much less-available nowadays.

I rather doubt that the change in Canadian regulations was primarily aimed at transgender people, but judging by the subsequent smirking comments of various members of Parliament (easily discoverable via Google), the regulations are unlikely to be amended any time soon. The matter is now in the hands of the courts, but I wouldn't expect any resolution for a few years, what with court backlogs and all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.