Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Canada: Transgendered may be denied boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA

I know this is of little interest to most folks, but to the subcommunity it affects, it could be a significant change in being able to fly commercially.

The current Canadian Identity Screening Regulations have been written so that a person who doesn't a) doesn't resemble the photograph b) does not appear to be the age on the document c) doesn't appear to be the gender indicated on the document shall not be transported.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regula.../FullText.html

5.2 (1) An air carrier shall not transport a passenger if

(a) the passenger presents a piece of photo identification and does not resemble the photograph;

(b) the passenger does not appear to be the age indicated by the date of birth on the identification he or she presents;

(c) the passenger does not appear to be of the gender indicated on the identification he or she presents; or

(d) the passenger presents more than one form of identification and there is a major discrepancy between those forms of identification.

(2) Despite paragraph (1)(a), an air carrier may transport a passenger who presents a piece of photo identification but does not resemble the photograph if

(a) the passenger’s appearance changed for medical reasons after the photograph was taken and the passenger presents the air carrier with a document signed by a health care professional and attesting to that fact; or

(b) the passengers’s face is bandaged for medical reasons and the passenger presents the air carrier with a document signed by a health care professional and attesting to that fact.

So, if you're a person who has transitioned to the other gender, and can't get the gender marker changed on your documentation, you're not going to fly in Canada. Fortunately the US Department of State makes it fairly easy to change the gender marker on a passport, but not all countries (including Canada) make that possible without surgery.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My wife appears about 20 years younger than her age. How are we supposed to visit Canada?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: QFF
I guess that means I won't be going back to Canada.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I don't think this would come up as an issue, but someone should absolutely challenge this. The Supreme Court of Canada would not look too kindly on this.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by ga_girl
I5.2 (1) An air carrier shall not transport a passenger if

(a) the passenger presents a piece of photo identification and does not resemble the photograph;

(2) Despite paragraph (1)(a), an air carrier may transport a passenger who presents a piece of photo identification but does not resemble the photograph if

(a) the passenger’s appearance changed for medical reasons after the photograph was taken and the passenger presents the air carrier with a document signed by a health care professional and attesting to that fact; or

(b) the passengers’s face is bandaged for medical reasons and the passenger presents the air carrier with a document signed by a health care professional and attesting to that fact.
In practicality this is unenforceable ... my child had a passport at 6 months old (including photo), that was valid for 5 years. If the air carrier had to enforce that rule, no child would be able to fly internationally unless their passport had been recently issued. (Photo ID not required for the underaged on domestic flights).
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Well Done Loren...Well Done. On a more serious note my brother's drivers license picture is from when he was 18 years old...he is now 33. The resemblance is very limited.

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
My wife appears about 20 years younger than her age. How are we supposed to visit Canada?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:01 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Why are you wasting time on FT? The real question is ****** [redacted].

In one of my IDs I look awful... in another I look merely stupid. I guess last month's trip to YYZ was my last.

In all seriousness, a reasonable reading of these rules (I sense a contradiction here) says that medical procedures can only explain not resembling one's photograph.

There is no excuse for not looking the age you were when the photo was taken. TIME IS NO EXCUSE.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by ralfp
There is no excuse for not looking the age you were when the photo was taken. TIME IS NO EXCUSE.
Which is just stupid. Does Canada think we've all mastered control over time? Many documents used as ID last 10 years. Many others don't expire at all.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
I don't think this would come up as an issue, but someone should absolutely challenge this. The Supreme Court of Canada would not look too kindly on this.
I've been told by a friend in the trans community in Toronto that this is already being heavily discussed in that community. So I suspect such a challenge will likely come sooner rather than later.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:50 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Crap. Looks like I'm not going to Canada for a while. I've got slightly less hair on my head and a few extra pounds since my passport picture was taken. And an occasional beard.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by ga_girl

Interesting. In the US, TSA has often suggested bringing physician's notes to the checkpoint for various reasons, but those same physician's documents get rejected at the checkpoint because...TSA has no way of determining if they are forgeries or not.

Presumably Canadian physicians have some clever, foolproof way of marking their documents so that CATSA or the airlines will be able to detect forgeries.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: Double Unobtainium, Grace L. Ferguson Airline & Storm Door Co.
I never knew so many FTers had the Passport of Dorian Gray...
Old Feb 8, 2012, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armattheus
Well Done Loren...Well Done. On a more serious note my brother's drivers license picture is from when he was 18 years old...he is now 33. The resemblance is very limited.
Yeah, my wife kept a non-driver's ID for 20 years. The picture still was a good representation of her when they finally sent her a letter saying that her non-expiring ID was going to expire anyway.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Ok to toot my own horn I went in to renew my license and the lady recommending I didn't retake my photo as I look the same. Not bad from 20 yo to 29 yo.

Yeah, my wife kept a non-driver's ID for 20 years. The picture still was a good representation of her when they finally sent her a letter saying that her non-expiring ID was going to expire anyway.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
The issue is for those trans* persons who are hoping to pass as one gender without or prior to transitioning. The only way one can change their gender designation is to have gone through the transitionary process, which is quite rigorous to even attain and go through (it takes at least a few years before even obtaining medical approval). It is a slap in the face for those who are just wishing to pass without documentation and being forced to disclose their status as a trans* person. No one should have to question or know anything about the authenticity of one's perceived gender assignment; that is why this is an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.