FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canada: Transgendered may be denied boarding
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:22 am
firequall

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
I think what was meant by "it's not likely to be an issue" is that it's highly unlikely, even given the regulation, that an airline would actually deny boarding for such a reason. I agree with that and that indeed seems to be the case since if it had actually happened, we'd have heard about it. The regulations do need to be clarified, of course, since even a theoretical possibility is a problem, but, in practice, it seems unlikely this will acttually affect anybody.
While I do see your point and generally agree that airlines likely won't enforce it, this logic is on par with cops not pulling people over for going over the speed limit by 5-10km/h. By law they have every right to, yet most don't. This still doesn't excuse the fact that they still have to the power to, and all it takes is one incident for this regular to explode all over the news. The very fact that this regulation exists is unsettling.

Originally Posted by Dumberthan
TSA does not take into consideration a "Doctor's" note. Do you have the documentation to prove you are who you are, is what is required. The gender issue comes in to play if you are "patted" down. Ask for private screening.
Canada does not have the TSA, nor do we have the "enhanced" pat downs. While the lack or presence of a penis may not necessarily be detectable under CATSA's pat down, those who bind may trigger a more thorough inspection. Even then, this can very well be a traumatic and embarrassing situation for those who want nothing more than the pass as their self-identified gender and do not want to explain exactly what is going on. A private screening does not solve the issue of the individual not wanting to disclose or explain their biological gender. Oftentimes the trans* community faces even more discrimination, ignorance, and intolerance than the gay community does and this regulation will only help perpetuate this unless all screeners undergo some form of sensitivity training (which doesn't necessarily solve personal prejudice).