Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Service Animal Fiasco

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:30 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
So you would create more bureaucracy and expense and place the burden of bearing that cost upon those with a legitimate need for service animals, including emotional support animals?
Yes, I would, so that those who have a legitimate need can avail themselves of the privilege and those who are not eligible cannot.

Handicapped people have to get permit to park in a handicapped parking space.

Why should people in need of a service animal not have to do something similar?

People should not unnecessarily be subjected to the untrained pets of others in the confined space of an airplane.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by geeprice
Apparently you are having some issues with reading comprehension, If he was travelling alone I would have not been with him now would I?
I agree there are issues with reading comprehension at play here.

You did NOT say that you and he each had an emotional support animal. You said the HE had two.

P.S. it was a cheap shot on my part, and for that I apologize, I was reacting to your comment that he should have been relegated to the last middle seat.
Thanks. The rhetoric on the Board sometimes takes off. I am guilty of it on occasion as well. I am sorry about the loss of your Dad. That is not what any of this is about. Cheers.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 5:22 am

Sorry for being OT, but I'm likely not the only one wondering what an "RBP button" might be?
That would be the little red triangle in the lower left corner of each post under the poster's name. Click on it to report an abusive post, i.e., a post violative of FlyerTalk standards.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 6:08 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
It's not like anyone has alleged that these support animals have caused any inconvenience to other passengers --- other than some confusion among the flight crew about how to handle them, that is. Why would it matter to you what comfort items another passenger chooses to bring aboard?
I've seen them cause some disruption. I was sitting in a window seat in F a few months ago. A woman in the same row in the other window seat had a small companion dog on her lap. It cried pretty incessantly, albeit not loudly. She got up frequently to go to the bathroom. She took the dog on a leash with her. On the trips to and from the bathroom the dog would get up on its hind legs and check out the people in the aisle seats. The dog woke one guy up who was not too pleased.

I asked the purser afterward what the story was. It was the first time I had encountered companion animals like that. He explained the rules. I swear I am not making this part up: he claimed he had recently worked a flight to Hawaii where the person had a companion pony or miniature horse. I have to admit, I am curious how that worked.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
So allergy sufferers can just deal with it? People who have a fear of animals due to bite injuries can just deal with a loose and untrained animal in the cabin?
We're there already. Think about the fight about whether or not airlines ought to serve peanuts aboard an aircraft, given the presence of passengers with severe peanut allergies ...

Other passengers can just put up with an untrained animal defecating [United flight out of NRT] and barking the entire flight [personal experience]?

When do the rights of someone wanting to bring their untrained pet on-board supersede MY rights on an aircraft?
Rights are always a balancing act. We've all had bad experiences dealing with passengers who disrupt our peaceful existence ... talking, kicking the seat, body odor. There's not an easy answer.

You are obviously not aware that the ADA does not apply to airlines.
Absolutely wrong. Title III of the ADA applies to any place of public accomodation, which includes transportation facilities.

But don't just take my word for it.

The Oakland Press

By Jerry Wolffe
September 4, 2008

A federal judge Wednesday ruled in a case involving Northwest Airlines and a Farmington woman that the Americans with Disabilities Act applies to airlines and can be used to require equal treatment for the disabled when traveling.

Link
And, yes, the airlines can set whatever policy they want. But they can conveniently say "well, we've chosen to use the ADA's definitions", and make their own lives much easier.

Airline employees can apparently recognize drivers licenses and state ID cards. Similar type of government issued ID for service animals, which requires completion and certification with certain standards is warranted.
Have you read all the articles about how TDCs can't recognize all the forms of ID they're required to by law? Yes, we're talking about the airlines, not TSA, but I don't have any more confidence in airline employee's ability to distinguish between a valid and an invalid service animal certification.

Handicapped people have to get a permit to park in a handicapped parking space.

Why should people in need of a service animal not have to do something similar?
But you're asking for much more beyond that.

Let's take your example. Yes, one is supposed to have a permit to park in a handicapped space. But handicap parking spaces aren't enforced by having a parking authority employee standing next to the parking space 24/7 and checking the ID of anyone who wants to park there. We rely on the honor system, along with periodic random enforcement.

Guess what? That means that, occasionally, people who aren't handicapped park in handicapped parking spaces, depriving those who have a legitimate need for that space. And what's society's response? We live with it --- because the cost enforcing handicap parking permits 24/7 on every handicap parking space everywhere is too high.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:36 am

Absolutely wrong. Title III of the ADA applies to any place of public accomodation, which includes transportation facilities.
But just to clarify, the ADA does not apply to aircraft. That is the province of ACCA.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by ND Sol
But just to clarify, the ADA does not apply to aircraft. That is the province of ACCA.
ACCA? Who are they? (I Googled it, but kept coming up with organizations for accountants and for the arts ...)

Regardless, I'm not sure the distinction matters. ADA applies to the airline, which uses aircraft. It's the provider that's the issue, not the artifacts.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 9:41 am

ACCA? Who are they? (I Googled it, but kept coming up with organizations for accountants and for the arts ...)

Regardless, I'm not sure the distinction matters. ADA applies to the airline, which uses aircraft. It's the provider that's the issue, not the artifacts.
My bad, not ACCA but ACAA (Air Carrier Access Act). The ADA does not apply to aircraft so the architectural requirements that are contained in the ADA are not required to be complied with. How many planes have handicap accessible restrooms?
Old Aug 20, 2011, 9:53 am

We're there already. Think about the fight about whether or not airlines ought to serve peanuts aboard an aircraft, given the presence of passengers with severe peanut allergies ...
Yep. I deal with that already. 1 out of 4 flights I take on SQ are "nut free" because someone claims a nut allergy.

Rights are always a balancing act. We've all had bad experiences dealing with passengers who disrupt our peaceful existence ... talking, kicking the seat, body odor. There's not an easy answer.
Right. Balancing both sides.

But don't just take my word for it.
Complete your research before quoting law. Had you looked deeper into the case, you would have seen this conclusion in the judge's final order:

The ADA provides an exclusive list of public accommodations. 42 U.S.C. §
12181(7)(G). This list includes a terminal for “specified public transportation.” 42
U.S.C. § 12181(7). The statute explicitly excludes aircraft from the definitions of
“specified public transportation.” 42 U.S.C. § 12181(10). This court previously held that
private airport terminals and facilities related to air transportation are not considered
places of public accommodation under Title III, and are not proper subjects for a private
cause of action. (September 2, 2008 Order, doc. 16). Airport terminals and facilities
related to air transportation are instead covered by the ACAA. The ACAA is a pre-ADA
disability access statute.
And, yes, the airlines can set whatever policy they want. But they can conveniently say "well, we've chosen to use the ADA's definitions", and make their own lives much easier.
It makes the airlines' life easier NOT to adopt the ADA, which allows private rights of action.

Have you read all the articles about how TDCs can't recognize all the forms of ID they're required to by law? Yes, we're talking about the airlines, not TSA, but I don't have any more confidence in airline employee's ability to distinguish between a valid and an invalid service animal certification.
I trust an airline employee more than a TSA "officer". In an event, difficulties with enforcement are not a valid grounds for denying adequate relief to those affected by people who are gaming the system to their own benefit, and to the detriment of other passengers.

When I was [much] younger, I had a 20-foot, 200-pound, Burmese python. Seriously. How would you like it if I was seated next to you with him wrapped around me as an "emotional support" animal?

But you're asking for much more beyond that.

Let's take your example. Yes, one is supposed to have a permit to park in a handicapped space. But handicap parking spaces aren't enforced by having a parking authority employee standing next to the parking space 24/7 and checking the ID of anyone who wants to park there. We rely on the honor system, along with periodic random enforcement.
No...it is not the honor system. There is a law that prohibits parking in a handicapped parking space. It is enforced. [Go to California--it is really enforced with a huge fine.]

Guess what? That means that, occasionally, people who aren't handicapped park in handicapped parking spaces, depriving those who have a legitimate need for that space. And what's society's response? We live with it --- because the cost enforcing handicap parking permits 24/7 on every handicap parking space everywhere is too high.
And people speed and people run red lights. Guess what? We catch them occasionally and issue them fines for violating the law.

The bottom line to your argument is that you think people should be trusted to comply with the law. Well, they don't. So you need enforcement. Enforcement in this case would require showing your compliance card to board an aircraft with an animal. Yes...that is so extreme.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 9:58 am

ACAA: Air Carrier Access Act

And you are wrong on the ADA.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:13 am

No...it is not the honor system. There is a law that prohibits parking in a handicapped parking space. It is enforced. [Go to California--it is really enforced with a huge fine.]
Thanks for ignoring my whole statement. Let me quote myself again:

We rely on the honor system, along with periodic random enforcement.
Yes, there's a law against parking in a handicapped parking space in my state too --- with huge fines. And you know what happens? People park in handicap spaces occasionally without the proper permit and don't get fined.

We don't post cops next to every handicap parking space and verify that every person who parks in every handicap parking space at every moment in time has the proper permits. We rely on random enforcement, and the good will of most people not to park in those spaces (or perhaps the fear of getting caught).

The bottom line to your argument is that you think people should be trusted to comply with the law. Well, they don't. So you need enforcement.
No, that's not my bottom line. There are different ways to enforce the law. Some laws are enforced through involuntary compliance; others are enforced through voluntary compliance. Each has benefits and costs which must be balanced.

Enforcement in this case would require showing your compliance card to board an aircraft with an animal. Yes...that is so extreme.
Papers, please ...

ACAA: Air Carrier Access Act

And you are wrong on the ADA.
Very well; I concede my error on that point.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:12 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The bottom line to your argument is that you think people should be trusted to comply with the law. Well, they don't. So you need enforcement. Enforcement in this case would require showing your compliance card to board an aircraft with an animal. Yes...that is so extreme.
You need a note from a medical health professional unless it is a bona fide service animal; what exactly do you want?
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:56 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
The RBP button

Sorry for being OT, but I'm likely not the only one wondering what an "RBP button" might be?
is for reporting a post that is a personal attack, rude, or otherwise disruptive to the topic at hand. It is the little red triangle to the left of each post on FT.

Thanks for asking!

squeakr

co Mod TS/S
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
You need a note from a medical health professional unless it is a bona fide service animal; what exactly do you want?
Standardized training and certification. You know, like I said earlier.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:17 pm

Thanks for ignoring my whole statement. Let me quote myself again:

Yes, there's a law against parking in a handicapped parking space in my state too --- with huge fines. And you know what happens? People park in handicap spaces occasionally without the proper permit and don't get fined.

We don't post cops next to every handicap parking space and verify that every person who parks in every handicap parking space at every moment in time has the proper permits. We rely on random enforcement, and the good will of most people not to park in those spaces (or perhaps the fear of getting caught).
Here, there are no standards, no training requirements, and no minimum requirements for certification (show us a letter from a "health care professional", who issued it without being provided any standards for when it should be issued).

There is also no random enforcement. There is minimal enforcement of almost non-existent standards.

No, that's not my bottom line. There are different ways to enforce the law. Some laws are enforced through involuntary compliance; others are enforced through voluntary compliance. Each has benefits and costs which must be balanced.
There are no laws that enforced solely through voluntary compliance.

Papers, please ...
Oh, please. How tired is that?

You mean like the papers you have to show when stopped driving your car? Or the papers you have to show when flying internationally?

There is abuse of the system. Everyone knows it and it affects other passengers. It is just so terrible, isn't it, to require compliance with standards before you bring a loose animal into the passenger compartment of a plane?

I note you didn't respond to my query about my pet python...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.