FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Service Animal Fiasco
View Single Post
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:17 pm
Always Flyin

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Thanks for ignoring my whole statement. Let me quote myself again:

Yes, there's a law against parking in a handicapped parking space in my state too --- with huge fines. And you know what happens? People park in handicap spaces occasionally without the proper permit and don't get fined.

We don't post cops next to every handicap parking space and verify that every person who parks in every handicap parking space at every moment in time has the proper permits. We rely on random enforcement, and the good will of most people not to park in those spaces (or perhaps the fear of getting caught).
Here, there are no standards, no training requirements, and no minimum requirements for certification (show us a letter from a "health care professional", who issued it without being provided any standards for when it should be issued).

There is also no random enforcement. There is minimal enforcement of almost non-existent standards.

No, that's not my bottom line. There are different ways to enforce the law. Some laws are enforced through involuntary compliance; others are enforced through voluntary compliance. Each has benefits and costs which must be balanced.
There are no laws that enforced solely through voluntary compliance.

Papers, please ...
Oh, please. How tired is that?

You mean like the papers you have to show when stopped driving your car? Or the papers you have to show when flying internationally?

There is abuse of the system. Everyone knows it and it affects other passengers. It is just so terrible, isn't it, to require compliance with standards before you bring a loose animal into the passenger compartment of a plane?

I note you didn't respond to my query about my pet python...