Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Are you *really* committed to our fight against the TSA? (Probably not...)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are you *really* committed to our fight against the TSA? (Probably not...)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:45 am

Cloud Cruiser apparently doesn't know of all the warnings which, if heeded, would have easily prevented the hijackings. If the wakeup call worked, if we're now wide awake and listening rather than "having other priorities" (as Condoleeza Rice claimed at the time) we probably don't need any of this. Of course, if the government incessantly tries to spook travelers, then no solution will make people "comfortable". So the key to a solution is stop trying to spook people. Do the intelligence work, shut down cells that you find (Atta's cell was known in 2001), and leave off all these theatrics and the billions that we can't afford to support them.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 1:08 am

Programs: too many of the few that are left
Originally Posted by CloudCruiser
What method do you suggest that would make people feel comfortable that the person sitting next to them isn't hiding some type of weapon in their shoe, or underwear, or wherever?
Perhaps by not being needlessly paranoid? For the first 40-odd years I flew, pocketknives were not prohibited. I took mine aboard, as did a great many of my fellow passengers. Amazingly, mayhem never ensued.

On the ground, people all around you carry pocket knives, hunting knives, boxcutters, pepper spray, even firearms. Does it bother you then?

If you had a family member on one of the planes that went down in 2001 which started all this, would you disagree with the current security methods?
I didn't lose a family member; one of my employees lost a brother and a cousin lost a close friend. A poster on this forum was actually in the North Tower when the first plane struck (don't remember whom or I would cite, but it was mentioned in the past few months).

About the ONLY thing all these survivors have in common is agreeing our current security theater is a useless and dangerous farce.

Another survivor I've met says her anger at the terrorists is exceeded only by her contempt for people who use others' losses on 9/11 to make their own lives feel more exciting and glamorous.

I admit, the pat downs on children are hard to stomach, but for those sick minded people that think they are going to be a hero by taking down innocent people in a plane, they are watching and waiting to figure out which "innocent" looking people are allowed through without being checked. That will become the next method they try.
Not touching childrens' labia does not mean they cannot be checked at all, if there is actually any reason for concern in the first place.

I would love to go back to a horse and buggy society.
How far back? To work weeks of six 12-hour days? "No Irish Need Apply?" The Salem witch trials? The horse and buggy era was fine as long as you had the right ancestors, social influence, and enough money, just like now. Most of the population didn't, just like now. I confess I've often wished to be able to visit earlier centuries if only I could update my shots first , but never under any illusion it would safer than living in the U.S. before the DHS.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 1:09 am

Programs: too many of the few that are left
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
Cloud Cruiser apparently doesn't know of all the warnings which, if heeded, would have easily prevented the hijackings. If the wakeup call worked, if we're now wide awake and listening rather than "having other priorities" (as Condoleeza Rice claimed at the time) we probably don't need any of this. Of course, if the government incessantly tries to spook travelers, then no solution will make people "comfortable". So the key to a solution is stop trying to spook people. Do the intelligence work, shut down cells that you find (Atta's cell was known in 2001), and leave off all these theatrics and the billions that we can't afford to support them.
^^^
Old Jul 30, 2011, 4:53 am

Programs: UA Gold MM
If you had a family member on one of the planes that went down in 2001 which started all this, would you disagree with the current security methods?
Right. Let's make decisions effecting millions of people that cost billions of dollars on emotion. Excellent way to govern.

As I said, I am not intending to change anyone's mind.
I'd be interested in a study - has an internet discussion board ever changed anyone's mind?

Last edited by coyote; Jul 30, 2011 at 4:59 am
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Bungnoid
Security methods should be designed based on rational thinking and careful cost-benefit analysis, not emotion. What is the point of your question? Is the opinion of someone who lost a family member on 9/11 more valid somehow than that of a member of the general population?

Your implication seems to be that someone who lost a family member would be inclined to agree with the current security regime. Let's assume for argument's sake that this is correct: so what? This is an emotional reaction. Public policy should not be decided this way. For one thing, there is the big question as to whether the current security methods provide a real benefit commensurate with their cost (in dollars and in human degradation) or even any benefit at all. Even if the new procedures provide some marginal improvement in security (and I think that this is a generous assumption), why should millions of travelers be degraded because three thousand people were killed ten years ago?

While some people like you don't seem to mind the new security procedures very much, many of us find them absolutely degrading and contrary to long-standing social mores.

And sorry, I don't buy into this bizarre idea that the modern world is somehow more dangerous than the "horse and buggy" era. This stems from a very solipsistic worldview. Life has always been fraught with danger, no more so now than in times past. In fact, I think that modern life is less dangerous than in the past, not more. I'll take my chances, thank you very much.
This is truly beautiful, especially the second paragraph. It reminds me of the endless demands of "the families" regarding what can or cannot be placed at the World Trade Center site. Those of us who live or work in New York City have been subjected to this nonsense for a decade now. Several thousand people who -- totally randomly -- happened to have a family member die at that location on 9/11/01 believe quite sincerely that they essentially own that property as a result. It's completely ridiculous, but nobody ever seems to question the underlying premise. If one of my family members is killed in Central Park, do I then own the park? Of course not! Such an assertion would be literally laughable.

The same principle applies to air-travel security. People who die as a result of plane crashes don't get to decide how to make air travel safer in the future. Experts do. Thank goodness for that. "The families" might decide to just ground all the planes. Can't be too safe, right?

Bruce
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by YCTTSFM
Another survivor I've met says her anger at the terrorists is exceeded only by her contempt for people who use others' losses on 9/11 to make their own lives feel more exciting and glamorous....
Wow. ^^^

Bruce
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:52 am
Suspended

Is the "Movement" unraveling already?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
Which is exactly the reason they keep reminding us of why we need to be scared. It has nothing to do with solutions. It has everything to do with control.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: Yes
So it boils down to deciding whether I feel safer with the added security measures (intrusive or not) verses hoping that another government agency will stop a plot before it happens. So far, I opt for the security. I do have an idea for handling youth checks but don't have the time this morning to type it in.

As far as a forum changing someone's mind, it can happen and just did. I formally rescind my wish to go back to horse an buggy days. At least until I find out what 'solipsistic' means...

I can just as easily claim the current rules were created using logic verses emotion. It makes logical sense to increase security measures based on past events in an effort to prevent them again. The discussion of why laws, rules, policies, etc are created using emotion or logic is similar to the 'which came first - the chicken or the egg' question. Things done for emotion at not always wrong, and things done for logic are not always right.

Gotta run for now.
Let's be careful out there,
CloudCruiser
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:39 am

Another win for the Scare The Public campaign. I hope there are enough people who still value their freedom to stand up to the scare tactics.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
I formally rescind my wish to go back to horse and buggy days.
Smart decision.
At noon on September 16, 1920, a horse drawn buggy loaded with 100 pounds of dynamite and 500 pounds of cast- iron slugs exploded across the street from the J.P. Morgan bank headquarters in downtown Manhattan, New York. The explosion blew out windows for blocks around, killed 30 immediately, injured hundreds of others and completely destroyed the interior of the Morgan building.. Those responsible were never found, but evidence—in the form of a warning note received at a nearby office building—suggested anarchists.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:23 am

Well, it has often been said that current security procedures are in place to make stupid people feel safer.

It's nice to know that they've met their goal.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by barbell
Well, it has often been said that current security procedures are in place to make stupid people feel safer.

But at the expense of making smart people feel less safe.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by barbell

Ouch! I guess you win by making it personal...
Maybe if I knew what that big college word was in a previous post, I wouldn't be on your "this guy doesn't deserve to live" list.

Regardless of how you feel about me, I still want you to be careful out there,
CloudCruiser
Old Jul 30, 2011, 5:18 pm

As I said, I am not intending to change anyone's mind. I am stating my opinion on the topics of this thread. Maybe the security methods aren't the best, but what is your alternative? What method do you suggest that would make people feel comfortable that the person sitting next to them isn't hiding some type of weapon in their shoe, or underwear, or wherever?
If you had a family member on one of the planes that went down in 2001 which started all this, would you disagree with the current security methods? I admit, the pat downs on children are hard to stomach, but for those sick minded people that think they are going to be a hero by taking down innocent people in a plane, they are watching and waiting to figure out which "innocent" looking people are allowed through without being checked. That will become the next method they try.
I would love to go back to a horse and buggy society. The world would be much quieter...
Let's be careful out there,
CloudCruiser
Why not the alternatives which are in place in the rest of the world, where terrorism is a much more real threat and was for decades long before 9/11?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.