Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Harvard Business Review: Simple Ways the TSA Could Make Customers Happier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Harvard Business Review: Simple Ways the TSA Could Make Customers Happier

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by NotaCriminal
Well, he did say that he asked the parents'/parent's permission first...
But he didn't say whether SOP requires him to comply with the parents' request. He can't say - it's SSI.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by loops
ooh ICK! The candy melting and mingling with the filthy lint in your pocket, coupled with the transfer of godknowswhat from the gloves that haven't been changed since who knows when. No thank you!!

<gag>

I mean really... That's DISGUSTING!
LOL! Young children are walking germ factories. Pocket lint may be some of the cleanest stuff that goes into a toddler's mouth. Anything that doesn't kill them makes them stronger - literally.

But in the comments on the article, someone pointed out "It can't be a good idea to "reward" a child with a lollipop after giving him/her a physical search. That's pedophile 101."
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA PE, FL A+Elite, X-DL Silver, X-AA Gold, HH Diam, Marriott Silv
1 and 3 are conflated. It is possible to announce instructions without sounding insulting. Maybe throw in a 'please' here and there. And 5 as well. This is surprisingly obvious especially as it would both improve their image and friendliness is far more effective at getting people to do your bidding.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:40 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Well, it seems the candy idea is the only thing on which we can focus. As for me, I agree it is a bad idea. The little Jr. TSA badges are a similar ting and we have jumped all over that one as well. However, a small gift such as a picture book to have on the plane would be nice.

The other ten ideas deserve discussion.

My favorite was the usable comment card. It could be handed out by the TDC with a code that identifies the station. Each lane would be numbered. At the end two boxes: "My experience was good today!" and "There were problems with my experience." The card could have a place for lane #'s and badge numbers, in addition to a simple check off of the area that was problematic. A punch clock at the drop box would identify the time the card was dropped or the card could be coded before handing it to the passenger.

The only problem I could see is that at the end of the day the all of the cards might end up in the HazMat container with the surrendered water bottles.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by janetdoe
LOL! Young children are walking germ factories. Pocket lint may be some of the cleanest stuff that goes into a toddler's mouth. Anything that doesn't kill them makes them stronger - literally.

But in the comments on the article, someone pointed out "It can't be a good idea to "reward" a child with a lollipop after giving him/her a physical search. That's pedophile 101."
Pocket lint from a pocket inhabited by a blue glove that has gone into all sorts of stuff clean or not all day long before pulling out another piece of sticky candy from a sweaty pocket. All pocket lint is not the same.

Ick.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SATTSO
I agree with the not shouting. We tried that at SAT, but ended up having more bag checks, as not as many people were informed what to do. But I think over time, it would eventually work, maybe.

However, the other ones mentioned I think would just bring ridicule down on TSA from the members of this site. I mean, really, considering how some of you feel about TSOs, do you want them handing out candy to children?
BTW, I HAVE done this before, and it works! Hand a crying child a piece of candy does wonders to calm them down while they get through the checkpoint, despite what some of you might think of me for doing it and yes, I have always asked the parents permission to do so first.
Well giving a kid some candy before feeling them up seems a standard ploy for some people.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Well giving a kid some candy before feeling them up seems a standard ploy for some people.
You mean like Wadenby Beauvais, John L. Adamoli, Walter in The Woodsman, or maybe TSO Charles Bennett in Orlando, who was so cheap he didn't even use candy.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 2:48 pm
Suspended

I have found the best time to give children candy at the checkpoint is BEFORE screening starts. Sure it makes the kids happy, but the parents LOVE it. A kid with a starburst (I love those) or whatever becomes a kid on a mission.

And its not about compliance with screening. Often I see a single parent traveling with 2 or 3 children, and they are all running around, screaming, throwing their toys - doing what children naturally do. And the parent is left with all the luggage, the computers (surprised how many parents have lap tops for their children), and carriages and such. It can be hectic. Providing candy at that point simply calms the kids down, oddly enough.
Originally Posted by loops
ooh ICK! The candy melting and mingling with the filthy lint in your pocket, coupled with the transfer of godknowswhat from the gloves that haven't been changed since who knows when. No thank you!!

<gag>

I mean really... That's DISGUSTING!
LOL, SATTSO!

I know what you meant, and I certainly don't have a problem with it. Just strikes me as funny how quickly your words are distorted into something sinister!
Old Jul 23, 2011, 2:57 pm
Suspended

I don't have a problem with many of the suggestions. Some of it; however, has to be an airport initiative. I can't see Congress approving funding for some of these items such as lollipops for kids or automatic bin loaders or free massages. But collaboration between airport management and TSA would certainly work wonders (e.g. coupon for a free meal to the 100th or 1000th passenger---depending on how much the airport is willing to invest).

I agree with eliminating the shouting. I used to get chewed out frequently for pulling back the "barker" and letting the WTMD monitor advise passengers on an individual basis. Got to the point where I had to ordered to have a barker in place.

I'm not sure I agree with the elevator music.

Problem is, as SATTSO pointed out, many passengers can't follow simple instructions. Not saying that this justifies yelling them out; just pointing out that it gets frustrating from a TSO perspective. I agree that there are many better alternatives than barking out instructions. Just explaining why it's done so often.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 3:09 pm

No, not compliance with screening, but so that they do what their parents tell them.

There is a huge difference in giving a child candy to calm them down so the parent can tell them what to do, and giving a child a candy so they can be patted down or whatever screening process that happens to be taking place. Huge difference.
Candy for a childs buttocks and genitals?!

Weird.

I never listened to my parents when it came to anybody touching me when I was a child.
My body was mine.
I know a lot of kids should just obey parents no matter what. I dont agree. Not when it comes to your body and certain other things.
Yes I am a mother.and my kids could think for them selfs.
That saved the oldest daughter from a child molester.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Bart
I don't have a problem with many of the suggestions. Some of it; however, has to be an airport initiative. I can't see Congress approving funding for some of these items such as lollipops for kids or automatic bin loaders or free massages. But collaboration between airport management and TSA would certainly work wonders (e.g. coupon for a free meal to the 100th or 1000th passenger---depending on how much the airport is willing to invest).

I agree with eliminating the shouting. I used to get chewed out frequently for pulling back the "barker" and letting the WTMD monitor advise passengers on an individual basis. Got to the point where I had to ordered to have a barker in place.

I'm not sure I agree with the elevator music.

Problem is, as SATTSO pointed out, many passengers can't follow simple instructions. Not saying that this justifies yelling them out; just pointing out that it gets frustrating from a TSO perspective. I agree that there are many better alternatives than barking out instructions. Just explaining why it's done so often.
People who yell at me got one treatment out of two.
One is that I talk back really loud. Hey the person yelling at me have a hearing problem.
The second one is my deaf ear. I dont hear anything at all until they talk in a normal voice.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Noise at the checkpoint

1) Been through plenty of overseas checkpoints. I haven't been to one yet where the noise level is anything like it is at most US checkpoints. There are bound to be some out there, but I haven't encountered one yet.

2) What percentage of pax need some sort of checkpoint 'coaching'?
Of that group, how many need coaching because they've never flown/haven't flown recently and how many need 'coaching' because they've tried to follow advice on the website or they are tripped up by a completely pointless inconsistency between airports/terminals/checkpoints/screeners?

3) What percentage (small, but real) of pax are hearing-impaired, don't speak the language, are completely focused somewhere else (companion, kids, phone, music, whatever)? I certainly have been in the latter category, and short of literally shouting from inches away, I would not 'hear' you.

Two small examples:
1)Placement of shoes (in bin/on belt) is wildly inconsistent. Does that mean it should be a bark-worthy offense? If it's really that critical to our safety to have the shoes on the belt or in the bin, then why not standardize it like the laptops are (sort of)?
2) Baggies in/out of carry-on. Also wildly inconsistent. I get it - maybe I forget my baggie and a skilled operator can clear it anyway. I think some TSOs think leaving the baggies packed and calling for a bag check if necessary results in smoother checkpoint flow overall. At any rate, since it doesn't seem absolutely critical (or there wouldn't be so many reports of baggies going through inside a larger bag), it should be taken off the 'bark' list.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Why not have the TDCs casually remind the passengers about shoes and liquids while handing back the BPs and IDs?

I guess that is too radical of an idea, although it certainly would be a nice change from the silence or grunts I normally get from the TDCs.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by janetdoe
^^

To give a kid candy before a search is also pedophile 101.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
I can just see it now.........

Child puts candy in mouth, is selected for a patdown after the NOS detects a suspicious mass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.