Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Harvard Business Review: Simple Ways the TSA Could Make Customers Happier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Harvard Business Review: Simple Ways the TSA Could Make Customers Happier

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I will repeat "I need to see my belongings" with increasing volume until everyone at the checkpoint knows I need to see them. Most times the first inside voice request is enough. Occasionally it is the 3rd. Once, it was the 4th. When you are telling them their own rules, no amount of volume should be considered interfering. It is they that are interfering with the screening process by not following their own rules for the screening process.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SATTSO
I agree with the not shouting. We tried that at SAT, but ended up having more bag checks, as not as many people were informed what to do. But I think over time, it would eventually work, maybe.
No one shouts at me when I go through security at MEX, YVR, CPH, FRA, BRU, CDG, STR, and MRS. Why have they mastered the simple task of being polite, yet TSA cannot?

Originally Posted by Bart
Problem is, as SATTSO pointed out, many passengers can't follow simple instructions. Not saying that this justifies yelling them out; just pointing out that it gets frustrating from a TSO perspective. I agree that there are many better alternatives than barking out instructions. Just explaining why it's done so often.
Maybe the problem are your rules. Ever consider that?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
No one shouts at me when I go through security at MEX, YVR, CPH, FRA, BRU, CDG, STR, and MRS. Why have they mastered the simple task of being polite, yet TSA cannot?

Maybe the problem are your rules. Ever consider that?
The bigger problem is that they are secret rules.

The Blue Shirts that serve TSA have the audacity to get angry and yell at passengers for not following rules that are secret (except when they are being screamed aloud by someone without skills to do anything but)

Then these same Blue Shirts feign surprise when they find their victims do not like being yelled at.

We get sleep at-night-enabling excuses like "When we touch your resistance, its not sexual assault", or "Some passengers welcome the X-Ray body chambers because they don't have to get "patted down", or "saying your name makes you safe from terrorism".

Between the sexual assualts, the secret rules, and the outright silly procedures, TSA has become an parody of itself, it's operatives and our country.

The terrorist have won, and they couldn't have done it without the Blue Shirts that serve TSA.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Problem is, as SATTSO pointed out, many passengers can't follow simple instructions.
To be fair, TSO's don't always give simple instructions. I have been yelled at for not following a TSO's instructions, because another TSO gave conflicting instructions. I don't mean at another airport, 2 months ago. I mean the other TSO who's 5 feet away, who told me something 3 seconds ago. The second TSO gave me conflicting instructions, which I followed, causing the first TSO to yell at me.

Twice. This has happened twice.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Which is to do ... what? Follow their parents' instructions so that they can ... wait for it ... get through the screening process.

Seriously, SATTSO ... we are really talking about the same thing here.
No, I don't think we are talking about the same thing. As it is said, the devil is in the detail. To pass through a checkpoint, you will be screened, including children, regardless of their emotional state.

Calming a child down does not allow or start screening. It calms the child down, and that is it.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by iowakatie1981
My mother always told me not to take candy from strangers.

If I were a parent, I would teach my kids the same thing. TSA clerks are most certainly "strangers", in my book.
Well, I can say, based upon my experiences, most parents do not think as you. Over the years, I can not tell you how many times I have heard parents instruct their children that if there is a problem in the airport, perhaps they get lost to find a TSA employee in the previously white and now blue shirt.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by 4nsicdoc
But he didn't say whether SOP requires him to comply with the parents' request. He can't say - it's SSI.
Parents request for what?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by loops
ooh ICK! The candy melting and mingling with the filthy lint in your pocket, coupled with the transfer of godknowswhat from the gloves that haven't been changed since who knows when. No thank you!!

<gag>

I mean really... That's DISGUSTING!
My starburst have never melted! I am insulted!

But I'll be saving a special piece of candy for you....
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Well giving a kid some candy before feeling them up seems a standard ploy for some people.
lol whatever BD.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:11 pm

LOL, SATTSO!

I know what you meant, and I certainly don't have a problem with it. Just strikes me as funny how quickly your words are distorted into something sinister!
[B]Bart[B] you know my words were sinister. I am, after all, a TSA employee! But how dare you accuse FlyerTalk members of twisting words!
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by tanja
Candy for a childs buttocks and genitals?!

Weird.
Yeah, weird that you would think that when I never said it. Very perverted of you.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

I see your back to using terms like Cup Cake and such later in this thread. You do know just how condescending such terms are don'you?

Why lower yourself in that way?
Maybe he wants to be on the same level as most FlyerTalk members? Seriously, it seems the FlyerTalk community can not control itself in using names to talk about TSA employees, and the moderators have all but given up on attempting to end it, so why shouldn't he call a cupcake a cupcake? Fair is fair, right?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:48 pm

One of my friends thinks that the best people to be TSOs would be those with Down Syndrome. They would be meticulously attentive to rules, polite, and it would be impossible to get angry with them.

I'm sure that would raise all kinds of political uproar, so that plan won't fly.

Instead, I think that the recommendations from HBS just need to be fine-tuned:

1. Barking is the focal point of the problem. I'd like to see a "silent checkpoint" system. At Frankfurt and Roissy, many checkpoints have a "concierge" at the entrance to each WTMD/x-ray. The "concierge" says hello, ensures that everything is in order (belts, jackets, liquids). This averts problems before they transpire, and ensures a sense of service rather than authority.

2. Get rid of the badges. Even police wear names on their uniforms. TSOs are so fearful of retaliation that they remain nameless. This is an offense to them and to passengers. They dehumanize themselves by remaining nameless, and the dehumanization extends to their treatment of passengers.

3. Announcements and videos don't work. Airports are a cacophany. It's safer, more courteous, and more effective to address passengers individually.

4. Inconsistency--the trademark of the TSA--makes little sense. The cover story that it "keeps bad guys on their toes" is a thinly-veiled attempt to conceal disorganization and mismanagement.

I think we need to do the following:

1. Praise the TSA for making some good changes. I support trusted traveler programs (I love my Global Entry card), and less-revealing, non-radioactive MMR equipment is a valuable step in the right direction.

2. Encourage the TSA to ask for external feedback. The HBS suggestions were unsolicited. The TSA, however, needs to listen to passengers, consultants, and other stakeholders. We have thoughtful suggestions that would not compromise security, so it's time for them to start listening.

3. As others have mentioned, the TSA works hard to look incompetent and disorganized. Having a single person guard the WTMD, last name spelling, and double-TDC inspections make the TSA appear wasteful, messy, and uncoordinated. Why not take a moment to look professional, organized, and polite?

4. Teach coping skills. TSOs face a great deal of stress due to lousy management, rules that are impossible to enforce, and laws that make sense to nobody. Given this mismanagement, the TSA could at least offer its staff seminars and guidelines on how to manage their stress.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Mats

4. Teach coping skills. TSOs face a great deal of stress...
Not commenting one what else you wrote, but personally, I do not consider my job at TSA stressful.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:18 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Mats
1. Praise the TSA for making some good changes. I support trusted traveler programs (I love my Global Entry card), and less-revealing, non-radioactive MMR equipment is a valuable step in the right direction.
Perhaps like others who undoubtedly rode the short bus in their younger days, we should give TSOs a gold star every time they can go an entire day using only their inside voice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.