Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Harvard Business Review: Simple Ways the TSA Could Make Customers Happier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Harvard Business Review: Simple Ways the TSA Could Make Customers Happier

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kebosabi
The town crier can be easily be replaced with an audio video monitor saying the same thing and visually showing what to do on auto-repeat in multiple languages. I've seen better security procedures at Six Flags theme parks says a lot how inefficient TSA is.
A silent video monitor is all that is really necessary. CPH has one of the better ones I've seen.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
A silent video monitor is all that is really necessary.
How does that help people who're visually impaired?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Caradoc
This is why the 'concierge' approach that exbayern described elsewhere works so well.

Instead of TSOs barking random loops at everyone, there's a TSO-equivalent whose sole function is to expedite by helping pax who need assistance - language issues, sight or hearing-impaired, just overwhelmed and befuddled.

Similar to this: at many non-US airports, if you alarm the WTMD, the patdown is immediate. There is no 'holding' the pax while someone qualified and available is summoned.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
This is why the 'concierge' approach that exbayern described elsewhere works so well.

Instead of TSOs barking random loops at everyone, there's a TSO-equivalent whose sole function is to expedite by helping pax who need assistance - language issues, sight or hearing-impaired, just overwhelmed and befuddled.
I've seen that role at FRA, MUC and TXL in the last year, interacting with people who don't speak German (or English), and especially with the elderly or infrequent traveller who is confused by the rules.

The time and care that they take is commendable, as is the solution-based approach that they take. Instead of making it a negative experience, they try and find a way for the passenger to pass through with the minimum amount of impact (ie checking their toiletries rather than tossing them, etc)
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc
It doesn't. Neither do all the posted signs (without Braille equivalents). Heck, I doubt it's possible to navigate a TSA checkpoint with a severe visual impairment without some sort of assistance (be it from a traveling companion or a TSA employee).
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
A feel good article but like many said - it avoids the main issue of the fact that the screening procedures themselves are inappropriate, unnecessary, theatrical, degrading, a waste of money (and IMO) unconstitutional.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by SATTSO
Maybe he wants to be on the same level as most FlyerTalk members? Seriously, it seems the FlyerTalk community can not control itself in using names to talk about TSA employees, and the moderators have all but given up on attempting to end it, so why shouldn't he call a cupcake a cupcake? Fair is fair, right?
At first I thought it was just Bart's psychopathy, but now I think we can all see it is systemic. All TSOs must insult. They all pull the banky of victimhood up to their neck and feel justified in anything they do or say because everyone doesn't love them. Oh, Boohoohoo, let the little arrogant crybabies continue for a little while. The TSA is on the way out. Pissy's new announcement is just a way to justify stopping the nudie scans and fondling because now "with the new BDO program, they are not needed." He finally saw the writing on the wall. It is a last-ditch effort to save the empire. The TSO's go under the bus next.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by SATTSO
My starburst have never melted! I am insulted!

But I'll be saving a special piece of candy for you....
Ah, finally, an overt threat. Now we know that you are not here to discuss things. And what is that "special treat?" A finger or two or three inserted in an orifice? Tweaking the Nos so it emits tenfold the radiation? I'd say you better go back and read the Director's guidelines on the use of social media by TSOs. This whole thread, and your overt "special candy" threat are going to the OIG, cupcake.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
A good start would be a cut-down on the barking, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.