Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CNN: Air marshals surveyed about misconduct, retaliation within agency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CNN: Air marshals surveyed about misconduct, retaliation within agency

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
The FAMS seems to take less premium seats now . . . the 'tactics' seem to have 'evolved' right around the time the airlines complained (though a temporal relationship does not necessarily establish a causal nexus).
Tactics have evolved. I know the Director of the FAMS stated it had nothing to do with what the airlines wanted. Take that for what it is worth.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:57 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Good Guy
Take that for what it is worth.
I did.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:41 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Witty comeback. I really need to take a break from this site.

That's what I've been doing & I notice other have also. Just to hard to deal with some of these people & it's not worth it.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Tactics have evolved. I know the Director of the FAMS stated it had nothing to do with what the airlines wanted. Take that for what it is worth.
The number of FAM's, in First Class aisle seats, working in pairs, has declined *precipitously* as of about a year ago. It is quite obvious to a serious observer (unless the tactics have evolved to the point where they hire FAM's under the age of 18, over the age of 80, and allow them to drink alcohol).
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: Delta 360, Alaska Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by sbrower
The number of FAM's, in First Class aisle seats, working in pairs, has declined *precipitously* as of about a year ago. It is quite obvious to a serious observer (unless the tactics have evolved to the point where they hire FAM's under the age of 18, over the age of 80, and allow them to drink alcohol).
That narrows it down? So most of the people who don't drink are likely FAMs?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by dmw650
I can add another variable that might help...

most people that drink and who are packing heat in First Class are FAMs.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by sbrower
In that case, I wonder if people think I'm a FAM too (hope not).
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:47 pm

That's correct, because everyone who sits in first class is an alcoholic.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 6:42 am

Oddly, the original post was about continual management and professionalism problems, yet FTers flock to the "stealing F seats."

That may be a legitimate concern, but to me the most pressing concerns are:
1) Continual absence of professional standards for this program
2) Incalculable cost/benefit ratio
Old Mar 5, 2011, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Oddly, the original post was about continual management and professionalism problems, yet FTers flock to the "stealing F seats."

That may be a legitimate concern, but to me the most pressing concerns are:
1) Continual absence of professional standards for this program
2) Incalculable cost/benefit ratio
Not sure what you mean by absence of professional standards. I know Director Bray has implemented what he calls a "Culture of Accountability" in the FAM service. I believe he is very interested in the professionalism of the organization. From my view point, the FAMS has come a long way. The last two directors, Brown, and Bray, have done right by the FAM's and the American public. To get back to the OP article. It seems to me most of the information the reporter got was from former air marshals. He also quotes one current FAM. I only know a few current FAM's. They're highly trained, professional, and from what I see, highly motivated individuals who enjoy what they do.

Last edited by Good Guy; Mar 5, 2011 at 8:50 am
Old Mar 5, 2011, 7:36 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
No, I am saying that I don't believe FAM's are allowed to drink a significant amount of alcohol while on duty, so I mentally eliminate people who are: a) under 18 years; b) over 80 years; c) over 300 pounds; d) drink heavily.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Not sure what you mean by absence of professional standards.
You're joking, right?

I know Director Bray has implemented what he calls a "Culture of Accountability" in the FAM service. I believe he is very interested in the professionalism of the organization. From my view point, the FAMS has come a long way. The last two directors, Brown, and Bray, have done right by the FAM's and the American public.
Lifetime bureaucrats running an inept and completely impotent organization that hasn't stopped a single terrorist attack are doing right by the American public? I'd hate to see a direct that didn't do right by the American public.

To get back to the OP article. It seems to me most of the information the reporter got was from former air marshals. He also quotes one current FAM. I only know a few current FAM's.
Do you really expect a bunch of current FAMs to tell the reporter, "yeah man, our jobs are totally pointless. Congress should just nuke our funding!!! We're terrible."

As to the single current FAM, you know a few FAMs and the reporter interviewed a few FAMs. Why is your opinion better qualified?

Their (sic) highly trained, professional, and from what I see, highly motivated individuals who enjoy what they do.
They're motivated? I suppose if someone was of a law enforcement/controlling frame of mind but didn't want to actually engage any bad guys, they'd be quite happy pointlessly flying around with only a one-in-a-few-billion-chance of encountering any danger. Based on an article I read detailing "A day in the life" of a FAM, I fly more miles per year than they do. I'm not at any real risk of dying at the hands of the evil "tearists" (aka terrorists).
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by DillMan
You're joking, right?
Nope.

Lifetime bureaucrats running an inept and completely impotent organization that hasn't stopped a single terrorist attack are doing right by the American public? I'd hate to see a direct that didn't do right by the American public.
Well that's one opinion.

Do you really expect a bunch of current FAMs to tell the reporter, "yeah man, our jobs are totally pointless. Congress should just nuke our funding!!! We're terrible."
Not if they believe in what they do.

As to the single current FAM, you know a few FAMs and the reporter interviewed a few FAMs. Why is your opinion better qualified?
I know more than a few. You'll have to trust me on this one.

They're motivated? I suppose if someone was of a law enforcement/controlling frame of mind but didn't want to actually engage any bad guys, they'd be quite happy pointlessly flying around with only a one-in-a-few-billion-chance of encountering any danger. Based on an article I read detailing "A day in the life" of a FAM, I fly more miles per year than they do. I'm not at any real risk of dying at the hands of the evil "tearists" (aka terrorists).
You read an article? I bow to your expert opinion then. And you fly more miles? I'm sure you drive a bigger truck too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.