FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   CNN: Air marshals surveyed about misconduct, retaliation within agency (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1189775-cnn-air-marshals-surveyed-about-misconduct-retaliation-within-agency.html)

willpolice4food Mar 1, 2011 9:56 pm

CNN: Air marshals surveyed about misconduct, retaliation within agency

"I think it's just a smoke screen, to be honest with you," [the Federal Air Marshal] said. "I've met with all these people. I've met with the [DHS Office of Inspector General]. It's just one investigation after another investigation and nothing ever seems to get done."
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/01/air.marshal.survey/

PhlyingRPh Mar 1, 2011 10:01 pm

Numerous current and former air marshals, speaking on the condition of anonymity, have told CNN the agency was rife with mismanagement in the past and that newer agency leaders have dealt with some of the complaints through a series of quiet job transfers, demotions and retirements.
All the more reason to disband the entire lot of them. Let them guard the local Wal Mart instead of stealing our First Class seats. Now, wWho will rid us of these turbulent FAMs? ;)

Good Guy Mar 1, 2011 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh (Post 15958647)
All the more reason to disband the entire lot of them. Let them guard the local Wal Mart instead of stealing our First Class seats. Now, wWho will rid us of these turbulent FAMs? ;)

Disband FAMS because they are mis-managed? How about get rid of the managers? And honestly, how many times has your first class seat been stolen by a FAM?

FriendlySkies Mar 1, 2011 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Good Guy (Post 15958732)
Disband FAMS because they are mis-managed? How about get rid of the managers? And honestly, how many times has your first class seat been stolen by a FAM?

Do a search on FT. You'll find the instances where it happened. IMO, they should not be in F. With the cockpit door fortified, they should be in the first row of Y.

Chaos.Defined Mar 2, 2011 1:10 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 15958824)
Do a search on FT. You'll find the instances where it happened. IMO, they should not be in F. With the cockpit door fortified, they should be in the first row of Y.

oddly, last flights I was on... the flight deck was opened constantly as the PIC must have had IBS... I did enjoy how the attendant standing right in front of first class was apparently the same as a locked door....

Ari Mar 2, 2011 1:24 am

And honestly, how many times has your first class seat been stolen by a FAM?

It isn't just about my F seat-- and I'm not sure I ever recall losing one for any suspect reason-- but it is about the airlines as well. If you recall, the airlines complained rather vocally sometime last year about the FAMS love of their premium seats. FAMS changed their tune without admitting anything, certainly not that the airlines' complaints had anything to do with it. The timing was very suspect. At one point, UA was putting 6 F seats instead of 8 in their initial inventory for A319 flights in and out of DCA. Some overseas flights, business class will fetch $5,000 oneway and first double that; that's real money.

19103_aa Mar 2, 2011 1:44 am

What is the cost per lives saved of this program?

N1120A Mar 2, 2011 2:09 am

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy (Post 15959313)
What is the cost per lives saved of this program?

FAMs have taken more innocent lives than they have saved.

Boggie Dog Mar 2, 2011 9:04 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 15958824)

Actually they should be in the very last row of the cabin.

Who wants a bad guy behind you?

barbell Mar 2, 2011 9:17 am

As someone who used to be part of the process, let me tell you absolutely that it happens far more than people realize. And considerably more often than is reported on various FT threads.

It is an unnecessary PiTA for frontline airline employees, at least 2 groups of which have to handle the actual booking and the other bearing the brunt of a disgruntled downgrade; customer service departments both at the airport and HQ; middle management; and corporate "handlers". That's at least 7 individuals across 6 different departments for each FAM on literally hundreds of flights a day.

The first row of coach wouldn't work d/t ADA. However, there are several other places that have been recommended, and summarily rejected.

barbell Mar 2, 2011 9:19 am

Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 15959357)
FAMs have taken more innocent lives than they have saved.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 15961123)
Actually they should be in the very last row of the cabin.

Who wants a bad guy behind you?

All the more reason to put them closer to the front. :p

DeafBlonde Mar 2, 2011 10:30 am

Originally Posted by barbell (Post 15961256)
All the more reason to put them closer to the front. :p

I vote for the cargo hold! ;)

Boggie Dog Mar 2, 2011 10:31 am

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde (Post 15961729)
I vote for the cargo hold! ;)

Unpressurized?

DeafBlonde Mar 2, 2011 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 15961743)
Unpressurized?

Oops! :o

sbrower Mar 2, 2011 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 15961743)
Unpressurized?

No such thing as unpressurized cargo hold on a commercial airliner.