Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CNN: Air marshals surveyed about misconduct, retaliation within agency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CNN: Air marshals surveyed about misconduct, retaliation within agency

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:38 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Good Guy
Disband FAMS because they are mis-managed? How about get rid of the managers? And honestly, how many times has your first class seat been stolen by a FAM?
As to the former, you are absolutely correct ^. As to the second, it does happen and quite often-just depends on the routes one flies and what class of service one is in
Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
No such thing as unpressurized cargo hold on a commercial airliner.
@:-) On second thought...
Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Darn!
Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Chaos.Defined
oddly, last flights I was on... the flight deck was opened constantly as the PIC must have had IBS... I did enjoy how the attendant standing right in front of first class was apparently the same as a locked door....
On UA, they either block the entrance with the carts, or have a wire that is pulled across the opening on the 757. Even if the door is opened, no reason for them to be in F. Sit in the first row of Y..

How about a box taped to the wing?

Originally Posted by barbell
The first row of coach wouldn't work d/t ADA. However, there are several other places that have been recommended, and summarily rejected.
Not all airlines.. I always select the first row of Economy when booking my tickets. UA does not block the entire row for ADA..
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:02 pm

And again, to everyone who has posted on this topic. Who has had their seat "stolen" from a FAM? 100% proof positive?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:13 pm

And again, to everyone who has posted on this topic. Who has had their seat "stolen" from a FAM? 100% proof positive?
I apologize that the inability to think and read critically has resulted in a situation whereby it was completely missed that an individual has already provided you the requested information while posting on this topic.

Please direct your attention to Post #10, whereby it was described that an "everyone who has posted on this topic" readily admitted to stealing seats from members of the FT community for a FAM.

We regret any inconvenience this may have caused you.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:16 pm

I apologize that the inability to think and read critically has resulted in a situation whereby it was completely missed that an individual has already provided you the requested information while posting on this topic.

Please direct your attention to Post #10, whereby it was described that an "everyone who has posted on this topic" readily admitted to stealing seats from members of the FT community for a FAM.

We regret any inconvenience this may have caused you.
So a FAM took your seat? Is that what you are telling me? How did you know it was an Air Marshal? Did he/she identify themselves to you? Did the gate agent tell you? My point is, I don't think it happens as often as people think.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:25 pm

So a FAM took your seat? Is that what you are telling me? How did you know it was an Air Marshal? Did he/she identify themselves to you? Did the gate agent tell you? My point is, I don't think it happens as often as people think.

I dealt with the aftermath of the FAM having been booked into the seat.

I took the phone call from a heated passenger, at the corporate management level, and quelled the heat.

I went into the native airline record for both the affected passenger and the FAM to positively identify the source of the seat switcheroo.

And then I would recite a memorized litany of code phrases wherein it was never admitted that a FAM actually had taken the seat, but we, as the airline, took responsibility for, and apologized though never compensated for, the inconvenience.

Customer service was not my primary job function, nor did I deal directly with the FAM program, nor did my job function encompass the entirety of the airline's customer population which in the entire American air system holds a relatively small footprint to begin with, and I handled at least 7 individual phone calls a week wherein a seat was taken from a passenger and given to a FAM. At my airline alone, I personally handled hundreds of these calls in a year, and it wasn't even within my purview to do so, which means there were hundreds more.

And therefore we can extrapolate that there are thousands a year across the system.

Did my seat ever get taken by a FAM? No.

Did I facilitate it to hundreds of passengers? Yes.

And, yes, I knew it was an air marshal because it said so, plain as day, in the native airline reservation.

I was told so neither by the Air Marshal, nor the gate agent, because I was the one telling the gate agent that the coded notes s/he was seeing in the masked air reservation record indicated the passenger's stolen seat standing in front of him/her was that of the Air Marshal s/he had previously boarded.

No, they didn't tell me, I told them.

It happens, and it happens far more frequently than you suggest.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:30 pm

I dealt with the aftermath of the FAM having been booked into the seat.

I took the phone call from a heated passenger, at the corporate management level, and quelled the heat.

I went into the native airline record for both the affected passenger and the FAM to positively identify the source of the seat switcheroo.

And then I would recite a memorized litany of code phrases wherein it was never admitted that a FAM actually had taken the seat, but we, as the airline, took responsibility for, and apologized though never compensated for, the inconvenience.

Customer service was not my primary job function, nor did I deal directly with the FAM program, nor did my job function encompass the entirety of the airline's customer population which in the entire American air system holds a relatively small footprint to begin with, and I handled at least 7 individual phone calls a week wherein a seat was taken from a passenger and given to a FAM. At my airline alone, I personally handled hundreds of these calls in a year, and it wasn't even within my purview to do so, which means there were hundreds more.

And therefore we can extrapolate that there are thousands a year across the system.

Did my seat ever get taken by a FAM? No.

Did I facilitate it to hundreds of passengers? Yes.

And, yes, I knew it was an air marshal because it said so, plain as day, in the native airline reservation.

It happens, and it happens far more frequently than you suggest.
How many domestic flights a day are there? International? What percentage of these flights are covered by FAM's? I believe it happens less frequently than you suggest.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:32 pm

How many domestic flights a day are there? International? What percentage of these flights are covered by FAM's? I believe it happens less frequently than you suggest.
I give. Fine. There are 5 people inconvenienced a month by FAMs.

Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:36 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
It isn't just about my F seat-- and I'm not sure I ever recall losing one for any suspect reason-- but it is about the airlines as well. If you recall, the airlines complained rather vocally sometime last year about the FAMS love of their premium seats. FAMS changed their tune without admitting anything, certainly not that the airlines' complaints had anything to do with it. The timing was very suspect. At one point, UA was putting 6 F seats instead of 8 in their initial inventory for A319 flights in and out of DCA. Some overseas flights, business class will fetch $5,000 oneway and first double that; that's real money.
None of that addresses the above, though . . . and every premium seat taken by a FAM on domestic flights on UA, for example, where upgrades are complimentry for elites, is a seat a passenger would have gotten (there are a lot of UA elites). So essentially the FAM booked in that seat has "taken" the seat from the person at the top of the waitlist (who is not entitled to it, but you can see the argument). Getting kicked out of a seat one already has may be rare, but every time a FAM takes a seat, soneone else can't take it.

If the airlines had to choose, do you think they'd want FAMs on any of their oversold flights?

Last edited by Ari; Mar 2, 2011 at 5:42 pm
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Witty comeback. I really need to take a break from this site. Please don't roll your eyes at me again. I don't know if I can take it.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
None of that addresses the above, though . . .
Sorry, didn't know I was addressing the above. What do you mean by "FAMS changed their tune"?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:51 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Witty comeback. I really need to take a break from this site.
Don't do that.

Sorry, didn't know I was addressing the above.
I didn't say you were . . . just re-hashing my initial point in hopes that you might respond to it.

What do you mean by "FAMS changed their tune"?
The FAMS seems to take less premium seats now . . . the 'tactics' seem to have 'evolved' right around the time the airlines complained (though a temporal relationship does not necessarily establish a causal nexus).

As far as my assertion that tactics seem to have changed, I heard that from a credible source whose identity I cannot reveal for obvious reasons.

Regardless of the cause of the shift, including what appears to be more VIPR, losing the public support of the airlines would have been very bad for the FAMS. That the airlines were willing to complain publicly says something-- they don't usually complain about anything the TSA does.

Refresher: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...473932878.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.