Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PV speaks out on Phil's case

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EP; Bonvoy Platinum: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sirdatary
You make think it disrespectful to compare the actions of Rosa Parks to Phil Mocek, and I'm not asserting that they are of equal significance....
Bingo, next argument? I mean seriously?

Nothing like arguing about current rules complaining that they will cause more restrictive future rules. How does crystal ball work, anyway?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dan_E
If I may ask, just to apply some statistical analysis to the discussion, how often do you personally travel without typical identification through a TSA checkpoint? I will unfairly classify "typical" ID as a US State drivers license/ID card, a passport of any country, a government ID card (military, civ, CONT, etc).

Then, again, just for perspective, how often do you turn on a video camera to document the process of the actions that occur due to the answer to number 1 above.

So, lets tally up the numbers. Realizing that the sample is going to swing way outside the norm because this is TS/S after all , lets tally the results. Now, put that is column 1. Lets make a column 2, and call that "everybody else." Answer the same questions above for everybody else who passed through security on that same day.

Now, here is some math here, compare both numbers. Mean, Median, and Mode...I suggest they all say that phil was the odd man out here. FWIW
The point remains that having a camera running while going through a TSA checkpoint is not a prohibited act.

Not having a form of ID while going through a TSA checkpoint is not prohibited.

What happened in Phils case were TSA employees who did not act properly.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA PE, FL A+Elite, X-DL Silver, X-AA Gold, HH Diam, Marriott Silv
Originally Posted by TSORon
I never said he was. The fact is that I do not know enough about the case to make a decision one way or another.
But yet you seem to have all the facts.

I have no such expectations. TSO’s are right and wrong no more or less than the average members of our society, since that is exactly who we are. There may be a higher percentage of former military than one finds in the general populace, but from what I have seen we are fairly representative of the general demographic of the area we work in.
I did not mean in terms of perfection (please..) but rather in professionalism and knowledge of rules. And I would hope at the C/P that they are in fact right more often than the travelling public. Even supposing that all the TSA personnel on scene were unaware of the rules at the time, they had over a year to reflect on it.

I have not seen the video’s. Have not been all that interested in the case. I commented on the TSA blog because so many of the other comments were calling BB a liar, and that just was not true. Not a single word of what he wrote was either untruthful or inaccurate. It’s the same reason I have commented here. That so many people missed the point of the blog post tells me that they just were not paying attention or had their own agenda that they just had to put out there and the heck with Bob’s post.
How do you know if you do what is truthful about it if you do not see for yourself? Actually, I will grant you that much of his post was technically true; however, it still seems to be intentionally misleading and like you, suggestive that acquittal does not equal actual innocence. Which I will agree is true however again, the only reason to split this hair, if you think a guilty verdict is deserved. And I would think since it's a government-sponsored blog, BB should either side with the verdict or be more careful about discussing the case. I understand why he would choose to clarify the rules in light of the case but he could have done without getting into Phil's action or just saying "allegedly".
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
So someone (like a family member) whose wallet is stolen while on holiday is...'abnormal'?:
Yes. Most people (statistically speaking) travel for holiday and do not have their wallet stolen. It is "abnormal"

But a TSO who has been 'fully trained' to recognize valid IDs (or check a reference, you know, like the TSA website), that TSO is...'normal'?
I suggest certain TSO agents receive more training on IDs than the average person, and see more IDs per assigned shift than a average person does during the same time period.

Perhaps you go through life paying for services you do not receive; perhaps when you don't receive services you've paid for, you are happy to do the work yourself or settle for poor service. I don't find that acceptable or 'normal'.
Yeah, so far I have gone through my young life paying for services I do not recieve. DMV, the Post Office, the Unemployment Office, the VA, the SSA, and AMTRAK. I dislike the waste, the poor service, but I live with them while I work to change the parts I can. I haven't found those threads here on TS/S yet, but I am ready to join in the discussions when they happen.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:13 pm

Now, here is some math here, compare both numbers. Mean, Median, and Mode...I suggest they all say that phil was the odd man out here. FWIW
What is your point?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by KIXman
Actually, a lot of FTers have been already doing what you suggest, but either receive a canned response, or no response at all:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-reaction.html

On the other hand, Phil's actions, and other actions at the checkpoint which tackle other issues with "security" (touch my junk, National Opt Out Day) have brought these issues to the attention of the public, and thus eliciting more response on these than what elected leaders have shown.
Actually, touch my junk (viral video) is the diamond in the rough. NOOD seems tepid to this social media junkie, I acknowledge and concur on both howevre. I suggest that outside the frequent traveler community, or the more TS/S focused element of said community, few can even recall the stats on phil's actions. For the mainstream, he was just another guy making a fuss at a checkpoint. IMHO.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
For the mainstream, he was just another guy making a fuss at a checkpoint. IMHO.
He wasn't making a fuss. He was doing something that is perfectly fine to do at the checkpoint. It's the idiot clerks that were making a fuss.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:18 pm

People were inconvienanced, I gave examples via scenarios above (e.g., TSO, police, other travelers, ticket agents, TS/S readers, courts, lawyers, jury, blogger bob, phil himself, me).
Sorry, I must have missed that.

The security guard and police officers may have been inconvenienced, but they were doing their jobs, and were the source of any inconvenience that occurred. Other travelers were not inconvenienced. Ticket agents completely uninvolved, except for the one who, on the day after my release from jail, called me a hero (which I think is an exaggeration but was nonetheless appreciative of) and called his supervisor, who gave my colleague and I free tickets home. The inconvenience to those two was minimal. Court staff and state lawyers, like police, were just doing their jobs, and any inconvenience to them was brought by those who wrongly accused me of wrongdoing, as was the inconvenience brought upon the jury. I was inconvenienced, for sure.

As for the use of the specific word "refusal," in hindsight it may have seemed the correct word at the time [...] but I regret its use and apologize.
Accepted.

In my mind not presenting an ID is a refusal
Much like not presenting photos of one's grandkids would be.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:21 pm

Bingo, next argument? I mean seriously?

Nothing like arguing about current rules complaining that they will cause more restrictive future rules. How does crystal ball work, anyway?
Nicely done... completely missed the point.

Actually, the TSA/police failed to follow current rules and arrested Phil on dubious charges (that couldn't stick) because they didn't like what he was doing. But hey, if you're cool with that...
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
He wasn't making a fuss. He was doing something that is perfectly fine to do at the checkpoint. It's the idiot clerks that were making a fuss.
True but he is saying that's how it appears in the mainstream and he is right to an extent. It hasn't got a huge amount of play in the media though expect down the road it will pop up as a tidbit in mainstream TSA features. Ultimately, "for the mainstream", their opinion will depend on how it's portrayed. At first blush it does seem like a guy making a fuss, especially because a lot of people think "refuse to show ID" means breaking the law and making a scene, but a quick Google search shows much of what little coverage there has been since the video was made public has been favorable to Phil.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The point remains that having a camera running while going through a TSA checkpoint is not a prohibited act.

Not having a form of ID while going through a TSA checkpoint is not prohibited.

What happened in Phils case were TSA employees who did not act properly.
Got it. Acknowledge. Roger. You win on those points. Now please give me mine.

Play nice. Carry an ID card. The Golden Rule isn't too hard to follow. Pay attention to your kindergarten rules. Be a bit more like the other 99.9% (see above)? Travel normal-like, you will get through. If you want my sympathy and Dan_E on your team, then turn off the darn camera and quit trying to be the poster child. Fight your fight, but don't pimp yourself in the meantime.

But those are my personal values, blame my parents. And the man.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:28 pm

Pay attention to your kindergarten rules. Be a bit more like the other 99.9% (see above)? Travel normal-like, you will get through.
Got it, you want the real world to be like kindergarten. You should have said that originally. We could have avoided this whole discussion.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:38 pm

Nicely done... completely missed the point.

Actually, the TSA/police failed to follow current rules and arrested Phil on dubious charges (that couldn't stick) because they didn't like what he was doing. But hey, if you're cool with that...
I didn't mean to side-step the issue, forgive me please. I liken it to the people who swear allegiance to pmocek for his activities, yet line up like the rest of the crowd. ID card out, iPhone videocam off and placed in the basket ready for xray. viva la pmockek, you take the risks for me!

Last edited by Dan_E; Feb 4, 2011 at 9:46 pm
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:43 pm

Got it, you want the real world to be like kindergarten. You should have said that originally. We could have avoided this whole discussion.
I apologize sirdatary, I forget that not everyone had a chance to read the book. Here are a few of my favorite excerpts, I hope it better explains my point.

Originally Posted by by Robert Fulghum

- an excerpt from the book, All I Really Need To Know I Learned in Kindergarten.

ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten. Wisdom was not
at the top of the graduate-school mountain. These are the things I learned:

Share everything.

Play fair.

Don't hit people.

Put things back where you found them.

Clean up your own mess.

Don't take things that aren't yours.

Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.

Wash your hands before you eat.

Flush.

Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.

Live a balanced life - learn some and think some
and draw and paint and sing and dance and play
and work every day some.

Take a nap every afternoon.

When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic,
hold hands, and stick together.

Be aware of wonder.
Remember the little seed in the styrofoam cup:
The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody
really knows how or why, but we are all like that.

Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even
the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die.
So do we.

And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books
and the first word you learned - the biggest
word of all - LOOK.

Last edited by Dan_E; Feb 4, 2011 at 9:48 pm
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: SSSSS
If I may ask, just to apply some statistical analysis to the discussion, how often do you personally travel without typical identification through a TSA checkpoint? I will unfairly classify "typical" ID as a US State drivers license/ID card, a passport of any country, a government ID card (military, civ, CONT, etc).

Then, again, just for perspective, how often do you turn on a video camera to document the process of the actions that occur due to the answer to number 1 above.

So, lets tally up the numbers. Realizing that the sample is going to swing way outside the norm because this is TS/S after all , lets tally the results. Now, put that is column 1. Lets make a column 2, and call that "everybody else." Answer the same questions above for everybody else who passed through security on that same day.

There are more than a few people who only have a drivers license. The driver's license can be easily suspended and revoked for any number of reasons: a seizure, a brain tumor, alcohol related traffic stop (which in my state allows the police to immediately seize a drivers license). There are many others who do not have drivers licenses or ever had one. I know this because my office asks people for one and for those who do not we use an alternate procedure. We do not demand that they go get one. I know of several states who use driver's licenses for a myriad of things that have absolutely nothing to do with driving. One state demands you obtain a drivers license to get a fishing license, hunting license, buy a house (so you can pay property taxes if you can imagine that). That is the rule in that state. In another state, you don't need a driver's to do anything but drive. You can get a hunting and fishing licenses, and even buy a gun if you have a document (even an electric bill) that demonstrates you live in the state.

So, what someone from the big city or Washington DC thinks is common, and might just be in the district may, in fact not be the case in Alamagordo or Las Cruces. It is these people who can get caught up in web, and further, they are theoretically matched with a list which may or may not contain their name, which is "secret," they cannot contest easily or timely, and could be denied travel or seriously inconvenienced.

In my earlier days as a charter pilot/ferry pilot, I was frequently called to hop on the next flight to a destination, often with only 30 minutes notice. The company I worked for didn't have the best credit, and we nearly always walked up to the ticket counter with cash and bought a one way ticket. No one asked me for ID, no one compared my name with a secret list, no one challenged my right to travel to earn an income, meagre though it was. I walked up to the security screening station, they simply did exactly what the TSA is supposed to do when it screens my baggage: They checked to make sure I wasn't trying to smuggle guns, knives and explosives onto the airplane. Then after 3 minutes of inspection, I walked down to the airplane and got on.

In those days, airplanes got hijacked to Havana. While things are different, and motives have changed, the airlines took a dim view of their multi-million dollar airplanes being diverted, and increased security. This has not changed, except the unPatriot Act has removed liability and responsibility from those who have the most to lose: The airlines themselves.

And at what cost? We now must have government permission to travel in our own country, which can be denied without prior notice and without the ability to confront witnesses and evidence and without the opportunity to be heard in a court of competent jurisdiction. I believe that we started moving away from this philosophy of government in 13th Century England, and when England abandoned those protections in the 18th and 19th Centuries, we abandoned England.

Many were inconvenienced by the civil rights activists of the 50s and 60s, but many more were inconvenienced by Plessy v. Ferguson which permitted apartheid in America, until it was overturned by Brown v. Board of Education.

Phil Mocek decided not to sit on the bus, decided to ride home on an airplane, and to do it without allowing the United States to unlawfully interfere with an individual going about his lawful business. This has been decided by a jury and as concerned as I am about the waste of taxpayer dollars, I am much more concerned about the government wasting a taxpayer's dollars in a fruitless prosecution and the the colossal waste of every taxpaying traveler's time in the TSA witch hunts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.