Wiki Posts
Search

PV speaks out on Phil's case

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IslandBased
Reading the blog is a way of finding out what is chewing at the underbelly of the TSA.
I agree with that - if an issue is not worrisome to the TSA we won't hear about it. If they are getting flack from several directions, you can bet they are going to post a thread in their own defense.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by sheneh
There's no need to make a fuss unless you believe Phil to be guilty, or think there is reasonable doubt.
I never said he was. The fact is that I do not know enough about the case to make a decision one way or another.

The evidence and testimony provided by the prosecution strongly suggest Phil to be innocent. Maybe it is you that can't accept that one of your own was wrong, though the APD officer's behavior may be more galling. Both TSOs and LEOs should be held to a higher standard than the travelling public.
I have no such expectations. TSO’s are right and wrong no more or less than the average members of our society, since that is exactly who we are. There may be a higher percentage of former military than one finds in the general populace, but from what I have seen we are fairly representative of the general demographic of the area we work in.

I was aware of the ID and photography laws but my first reaction on hearing about the case only recently was that surely he must have rude or refused to cooperate. Now having watched the video and read summaries of the testimony I am astounded that he was arrested in the first place. I am curious how you, or anyone else, conclude that he was guilty or might be. Well actually, I would be particularly interested in a TSO response. How would you have responded? What other type of passenger behavior results in arrest?
I have not seen the video’s. Have not been all that interested in the case. I commented on the TSA blog because so many of the other comments were calling BB a liar, and that just was not true. Not a single word of what he wrote was either untruthful or inaccurate. It’s the same reason I have commented here. That so many people missed the point of the blog post tells me that they just were not paying attention or had their own agenda that they just had to put out there and the heck with Bob’s post.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by n4zhg
The primary reason why I wish this board had an "ignore" button...
http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q87

Your welcome @:-)
Old Feb 4, 2011, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TSORon
The fact is that I do not know enough about the case to make a decision one way or another.

I have not seen the video’s. Have not been all that interested in the case. I commented on the TSA blog because so many of the other comments were calling BB a liar, and that just was not true. Not a single word of what he wrote was either untruthful or inaccurate.

Without knowledge of the case, how can you be so sure that "not a singe word of what he wrote was either untruthful or inaccurate"?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 5:39 pm

The fact is that I do not know enough about the case to make a decision one way or another.
Please take 3.5 minutes to look at the best evidence available and let us know what you think. Please also consider that a jury knew enough about the case to make a decision, and they decided that I was not guilty of any of the things of which I was accused.

Not a single word of what [TSA's "Blogger Bob"] wrote was either untruthful or inaccurate.
You are mistaken.

The TSA blog post states:

A recent case - New Mexico v. Phillip Mocek - is making the news recently. The case stemmed from Mr. Mocek’s failure to cooperate with the instructions of Albuquerque police officers at the Albuquerque International Sunport Airport after interactions he had with TSA transportation security officers.
In a comment I left on the TSA blog, I wrote:

Contrary to your statement in this blog post and contrary to the testimony of Officer Dilley of the Albuquerque Aviation Police Department, I did not fail to cooperate with the instructions of any police officer when I was at ABQ on November 15, 2009. A jury found me not guilty me of all charges -- including failure to obey a lawful order of a police officer -- before Judge Kevin L. Fitzwater in the Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court (criminal case 2573709) on January 21, 2011.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by pmocek
Please take 3.5 minutes to look at the best evidence available and let us know what you think. Please also consider that a jury knew enough about the case to make a decision, and they decided that I was not guilty of any of the things of which I was accused.
I really am not all that interested. Honest. You may be a hero to some of the folks here, to me you are another passenger, no different (to me) from the one before you or the ones after.

You are mistaken.

The TSA blog post states:
And? Nothing incorrect there from what I have read.

Oh, I get it. You believe that “failure to cooperate” and “failure to follow a lawful order” are the same thing. Sorry, they are not.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No Rev, that’s not what I said, please rephrase.

What I did say was:

The difference between a lie and the truth is that one is false and the other is not. Nothing Bob said about the situation with Mr. Mocek was inaccurate, and therefore not a lie. Its time for folks to recognize the difference between what they wish to believe and the facts.
I also said:

Al, it is intellectually dishonest to allude that being found “not guilty” is the same as being innocent. We both know better.
We both know I was and am correct, but I don’t expect you to admit it.
Except that you are not correct.

"Not guilty" most certainly does mean "innocent" as a matter of law. Defendants are presumed innocent and the burden of proof is on the state to prove the defendant guilty. When the state fails to meet its burden of proof, the defendant is acquitted and was and is innocent.

Then, as for the "accuracy" of Bob's comments, he said:

"The case stemmed from Mr. Mocek’s failure to cooperate with the instructions of Albuquerque police officers at the Albuquerque International Sunport Airport after interactions he had with TSA transportation security officers."

That is a lie (and almost certainly defamatory). The stemmed from ALLEGATIONS that Mr. Mocek failed to cooperate with instructions of Albuquerque police officers. Those ALLEGATIONS were false, which is why he was acquitted of the charges.

He also said:

'As TSOs were talking to Mr. Mocek to verify his identity, he was holding a camera up to film them and appeared to be trying to film sensitive security information related to TSA standard operating procedures on ID verification. Such behavior interferes with the ordinary course of business at the checkpoint and may well delay other passengers."

That contains two lies. The blank reporting form is not SSI, because it is given to passenger to fill out. It is SSI only after it contains the information because the passenger's information must be kept confidential. That's the first lie. The second lie is that Phil, in any way, interfered with the ordinary course of business at the checkpoint by filming his encounter with the TSOs. Filming TSOs does not constitute interference unless you are physically interfering with them by, for example, blocking them or putting the camera right in their face. Whatever interference resulted was solely and completely the result of the TSO's violation of SOP and TSO's own published procedure.

So, there you have it. Three lies and, not surprisingly, another example of complete ignorance of the law on your part.

I applaud your consistency.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:04 pm

You believe that “failure to cooperate” and “failure to follow a lawful order” are the same thing. Sorry, they are not.
Failure to cooperate is not a crime. In certain circumstances, it is a Constitutionally-protected right.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by sirdatary
Failure to cooperate is not a crime. In certain circumstances, it is a Constitutionally-protected right.
Evidently not in the constitution free fantasy security zone during a few weekly shifts at one airport.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel

"Not guilty" most certainly does mean "innocent" as a matter of law. Defendants are presumed innocent and the burden of proof is on the state to prove the defendant guilty. When the state fails to meet its burden of proof, the defendant is acquitted and was and is innocent.
And we both know that guilty people are found “not guilty” in a court every single day. Please stop splitting hairs.

"The case stemmed from Mr. Mocek’s failure to cooperate with the instructions of Albuquerque police officers at the Albuquerque International Sunport Airport after interactions he had with TSA transportation security officers."

That is a lie (and almost certainly defamatory). The stemmed from ALLEGATIONS that Mr. Mocek failed to cooperate with instructions of Albuquerque police officers. Those ALLEGATIONS were false, which is why he was acquitted of the charges.
Wrong. If we are going to split hairs PT, then lets both split them.

Failing to cooperate with the police is not a crime. Failing to follow the orders of a police officer is a crime. Nothing about what BB wrote if false. Next?

He also said:

'As TSOs were talking to Mr. Mocek to verify his identity, he was holding a camera up to film them and appeared to be trying to film sensitive security information related to TSA standard operating procedures on ID verification. Such behavior interferes with the ordinary course of business at the checkpoint and may well delay other passengers."

That contains two lies. The blank reporting form is not SSI, because it is given to passenger to fill out. It is SSI only after it contains the information because the passenger's information must be kept confidential. That's the first lie. The second lie is that Phil, in any way, interfered with the ordinary course of business at the checkpoint by filming his encounter with the TSOs. Filming TSOs does not constitute interference unless you are physically interfering with them by, for example, blocking them or putting the camera right in their face. Whatever interference resulted was solely and completely the result of the TSO's violation of SOP and TSO's own published procedure.
So, you are now a subject matter expert on TSA’s SSI program? The form itself is SSI, and part of the procedure is that the passenger must sign it. Therefore it is an authorized release of SSI to someone who has a “Need to Know”. Looking at it is far different from photographing it.

Interference with screening is a judgment call in most cases. A bad judgment call is not a lie, it is just an error. Next?

So, there you have it. Three lies and, not surprisingly, another example of complete ignorance of the law on your part.

So there you have it, once again your understanding is in question. I am not at all surprised, it is honestly not at all unusual.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
And we both know that guilty people are found “not guilty” in a court every single day. Please stop splitting hairs.
So what?

We are talking about the court of law, not the court of public opinion.

You all but begged for a legal citation that indicated that being "not guilty" meant you were innocent. I will once again provide you with that citation:

Coffin v. United States (156 US 432).

The U.S. Supreme Court stated in their decision the following:

"The presumption of innocence is a conclusion drawn by the law in favor of the citizen, by virtue whereof, when brought to trial upon a criminal charge, he must be acquitted, unless he is proven to be guilty."

Whether you, Bob, or anyone else thinks Phil is guilty of any of the charges is irrelevant.

As a matter of law, Phil is innocent.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:24 pm

He also said:

^^^^
I don't what I enjoy more, the pimp slap or the spectacle of our good friend shooting himself in the foot yet again. The case was tried and the jury has spoken. You'd think they would just shut up.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:25 pm

You believe that “failure to cooperate” and “failure to follow a lawful order” are the same thing. Sorry, they are not.
Oh, sorry for the confusion. I'll be more clear: I was completely cooperative with Officer Dilley, and I did everything he ordered me to do, except to show him documentation of my identity, which was impossible. Your employer's blog states that I was uncooperative. Since you've voiced disagreement, please view the video -- which shows what happened from seconds after the airport security guard called the police until after I was arrested -- and let us know if you see anything you find uncooperative.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EP; Bonvoy Platinum: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev

As a matter of law, Phil is innocent.
I wonder if others have investigated that the prosecutor just didn't choose the right charge to file on the traveler who had the poor judgement?

Last edited by Dan_E; Feb 4, 2011 at 6:53 pm
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA EP; Bonvoy Platinum: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nachtnebel
^^^^
I don't what I enjoy more, the pimp slap or the spectacle of our good friend shooting himself in the foot yet again. The case was tried and the jury has spoken. You'd think they would just shut up.
I cannot understand who the comment was dirceted towards, blogger bob or TSORon? OP is talking about one person (our good friend), but then reverts to "they."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.