Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PV speaks out on Phil's case

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2011, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by PTravel
Ron knows I'm a licensed attorney -- I've posted my bar number here. Whenever I back him into a corner over his ridiculous statements about law, that's always his response.
Don't sweat it. When a wise man talks, intelligent people perceive it. When a dog barks, intelligent people perceive that too.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by Seat1A
...now, i'm sure you and i agree that the direction was wrong, and we're glad that Phil stood up for himself. but i think you are grossly overstating the facts..)

i thought Phil's attorneys got it right with (paraphrasing) "you can think the defendant is annoying. it's not illegal to annoy the police." imo, that statement off the top made it easy for the ladies of the jury...
You may well be right. I wasn't there and the video does not show the initial interaction between Mr. Mocek and Mr. Breedan. However; I did listen to the recording of Mr. Breedan's testimony.

In it he stated that TSA had a policy and procedure for handling passengers who did not posess ID and that he had initiated that procedure with Mr. Mocek. He further stated that Mr. Mocek was participating with that procedure. Finally, Mr. Breedan testified that he was the one who suspended the process and that he did so when Mr. Mocek began using his camera. To me that sounds like Mr. Mocek was completely cooperating up until the time that the TSA person stopped the process. Granted, Mr. Breedon did so in reaction to Mr. Mocek starting to record the process but, as we have been told, that is also an allowed activity.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by T-the-B
To me that sounds like Mr. Mocek was completely cooperating up until the time that the TSA person stopped the process. Granted, Mr. Breedon did so in reaction to Mr. Mocek starting to record the process but, as we have been told, that is also an allowed activity.
i have listened to all of the trial audio (and i found it fascinating). but i'm basing my beliefs on the video itself -- as stated repeatedly, it's the best evidence of what happened that day. in response to a request for anything containing his name, Mr Mocek did not say "no, i'm really not carrying anything like that" -- he instead insisted on his right to fly without presenting anything like that. he was calm and measured -- very measured. i agree with the prosecutor who stated that he was a man with an agenda, there to test the TSA. but i also fully agree with the defense that there is no crime in that.....
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:44 pm

restriction of movement is restriction of free association

Originally Posted by greentips
Phil, you and I disagree on a number of things, including your work with CDC, but I must support your liberty to do that work and to further your cause by free association and travel.
Thank you for that separation, Greentips. Reasonable people can disagree about drug policy or how best to go about improving it.

Originally Posted by greentips
If I fail to support you traveling in furtherance of a cause I find politically and professionally unpalatable, then who will support me when my cause becomes at odds with an increasingly powerful and oppressive government?
Hear, hear!

On November 23, 2009, I posted the following to Flyertalk as "How are right to travel and drug policy reform (specifcally w/r/t cannabis) related?" (emphasis and annotations added and several links updated):

Originally Posted by pmocek
Last week, I had an experience at ABQ that I'm not yet ready to talk about. For Flyertalk discussion of that issue (without input from me), please see, "Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID" from November 16, 2009.

A legal defense fund was established for me. People who don't even know me but support what I stand for (as well as some who do know me) have been so generous as to donate to that fund. I promise it will go to good use, and that use will be directly related to the issue at hand. I'm extremely thankful to these people.

One donor expressed concern with the fact that his donation is going to the Cannabis Defense Coalition. After explaining the situation to him, I thought that it would likely be of interest to others:

Until I'm able to accept donations directly into my attorney's legal trust fund, donations to my legal defense fund are being collected primarily via Paypal (checks or wire transfers are also gladly accepted). Donations sent via Paypal in this manner will not be co-mingled with CDC's general fund. I'll explain.

Cannabis Defense Coalition is a Washington State 501(c)(3) non-profit that I'm part of. I'm a dues-paying member (one of about 90 who've joined since we were formed in July, 2008 [we reached 200 members around the end of 2010]), I volunteer at least one day a week at our office (headed there in about five minutes), and I'm running for a position on our board of directors next month [I was elected then, and for a second term in 2011]. We support medical marijuana patients (legal with a doctor's recommendation in Washington since 1998; 12 other states now have similar laws), mostly through court room observation of cases we track, collection and dissemination of related information, and calling out county prosecutors who are wasting tax money and hurting sick people. We list other potential projects (mostly waiting for someone to step up and fund them) on our wiki [and more recently, a list of past and current projects].

I was returning home to Seattle from being in Albuquerque at Drug Policy Alliance's the International Drug Policy Reform Conference in representation of CDC when all this (on which I cannot comment now) happened.

My good friend and CDC colleague Ben, who has had his own experiences (1, 2) with TSA's airport ID policies, jumped into action, setting up the legal defense fund, arranging to get some of that money to a bondsman to bail me out, and gathering attorney recommendations.

In our latest cdc-alerts newsletter, Ben wrote (to our approximately 700 subscribers [which have grown to 1,252 as of February 4, 2011]):

Our tabling volunteers are finally home from the International Drug Policy Reform Conference in Albuquerque, New Mexico. After politely declining to show his ID to a TSA screener, and recording the situation with his phone, Phil was arrested by Albuquerque police, held incommunicado for 34 hours, and charged with disorderly conduct, concealing his identity, disobeying a police officer, and criminal trespass. Jesse, who showed his ID, was driven in a police cruiser to the edge of the airport, dropped off, and told that he was banned from the compound for 24 hours.

We finally managed to post bail for Phil, and he and Jesse returned home last night. The guy at the Southwest Airlines desk recognized him, called him a hero, and with managerial help, provided new tickets free of charge. The story has made it onto a number of security blogs and frequent flyer forums, which have been refreshingly supportive. Thus far, we've received over two dozen online donations for Phil's bail and criminal defense. The internet bailed Phil out.

Question: What does this have to do with marijuana reform?

I (Ben) have been threatened with eviction from public parks for holding political pot posters. To me, that is a first amendment issue, not really a drug policy issue. But when I can't *speak freely* about drug policy reform, I think we have an issue that affects drug policy reform.

Americans have a right to travel freely between the states, without government interference. The United States Supreme Court has reiterated this in United States v. Wheeler (1920), stating that Americans possess a right, "inherent in citizens of all free governments," to freedom of movement, a right very much related to freedom of association and freedom of expression. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Wheeler)

Similar to my pot poster analogy, I (Ben) have not flown domestically since June 2008, when TSA created a policy that basically says, "if you lose your ID and cooperate, we'll let you travel, but if you refuse to show your ID, we will restrict your travel." I believe this is a clear violation of the Wheeler case, and my right to travel freely. But, as someone who's been stuck, on a Sunday, in an airport in a distant city, unsure if I'll ever make it home, wishing I could call someone for help, quite frankly I can't handle the stress of it any more; I feel somewhat beaten by TSA and the terrorists who caused our freedoms to disappear.

For the last 18 months, I have been unable to attend political conferences because of this. I want to, but I either need to 1) quash my belief that I can travel freely without showing my papers to the federal government, 2) be ready for a battle, or 3) don't fly. I don't feel supported enough to battle, and I'm not yet willing to give up my belief in constitutional freedom of movement, so for now I choose to not fly.

I would be forever grateful to Phil if he was willing to be the test case on this, someone willing to stand up for my right to attend a political conference without identifying myself to federal agents. In my mind, it's not specifically about pot -- though he was at a drug policy conference, representing a cannabis activism group, and carrying a bunch of marijuana t-shirts -- it's about underlying freedoms which are the foundation on top of which we are able to build our activism.
I never mentioned this before on FlyerTalk, but it's somewhat humorous that Ben couldn't go to the DPA conference in Albuquerque for fear of trouble at the airport, so CDC sent me in his place.

A restriction of our freedom to move about the country is a restriction of our ability to associate. When people within our government have the ability to blacklist someone and prevent him from traveling (even if it's done with the best of "anti-terrorism" intentions [and remember: the difference between "terrorist" and "freedom fighter" is politics]), we're all less free.

The idea that TSA's airport antics would stop a determined criminal is a f...ing joke. Showing ID only affects honest people.

Last edited by pmocek; Feb 5, 2011 at 12:53 pm
Old Feb 5, 2011, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dan_E
...the TSA agents and police at the check points are the exact wrong people to take your anger out on. I am guessing they are mostly folks like you and I who are doing the best they can do at their job, and dont write policy.
I agree, insofar as it would be wrong and prejudicial to be vitriolic or abusive to any TSA person not actively engaged in feeling your sex organs at the moment. Not every TSA person does those things, although every TSA person is associated with an organization that *does* do those things.

However, what we have going on wrt the sexual impositions is something that we cannot allow; it is not in the same category of liquid prohibitions or taking off shoes. Most military people I know, in my family and out, have a highly developed sense of personal honor. They would not allow their wives to be groped to the point of tears by some strange woman at a checkpoint, or to be looked at naked by some random man at a checkpoint, whether via remote peeping or in person. They would not endure some random man at a checkpoint to be touching and manipulating their testicles.

Given the extreme nature of these offenses, to counteract them, to start things in motion to get them STOPPED, I think it justifiable to flood the system with such actions as Phil's. Don't take it personally. Better to shut the whole thing down than to do such evil things to people.

Engaging your elected leaders, appealing formally to the right stakeholders
On a national level, this is largely a useless activity, as you probably know from your years in the military. But yet, yes, some small avenue of hope exists there, between the bribes and general institutional paralysis. States and locales are a better place to look though, imo.

and getting personally involved outside of checkpoint militancy is gonna get you a bit further, IMHO.
Don't agree: Getting involved means at every level. Checkpoint activism is only one of them, although costly, apparently. Operation sh*tstorm.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by TSORon
“Hair, meet Razor”
That splitting of hairs (lawful LEO order to do something vs capricious LEO order to do something) is the difference between a fascist state and one based on the rule of law so I'll continue to split that hair.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 1:20 pm

Who doesn't have an agenda? All of us test TSA every time we interact with TSA staff.

in response to a request for anything containing his name, Mr Mocek did not say "no, i'm really not carrying anything like that" -- he instead insisted on his right to fly without presenting anything like that.
That's what the security guard testified, but there's no such statement heard in my video. If such a statement was made, it would have to have been made before I started videorecording.

he was calm and measured -- very measured.
I'm a calm and measured person, particularly when dealing with people who operate near the boundaries of the law.

i agree with the prosecutor who stated that he was a man with an agenda, there to test the TSA
I almost always have an agenda. At the top of my agenda that day was flying home from the conference.

We all "test the TSA" every time we encounter their staff, whether it's by doing everything they ask and watching their reaction, or by declining to do something they have no authority to demand. When several times in 2008 and 2009 I swallowed my principles and complied the airport security guards' "Papers, please!" requests, I usually asked them, "What if I didn't show you ID?"

Since TSA won't publish their rules and regulations, the only way we can learn about those rules and regulations is by experimentation and observation.

there is no crime in that.....
Yep.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Question

What is being asked is the SSI part, the answers are personal information and not SSI.
The answers are not SSI. OK.

The questions are SSI and passengers are not allowed to know them.

How then are they asked ?
Old Feb 5, 2011, 1:45 pm

You folks are indefatigable. I'm impressed.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird

I'm sure that is SSI, too.

Maybe they are asked to the back of the passenger's head so he can't really be sure he is being questioned, perhaps in Pig Latin. I'm sure that is how Maxwell Smart would do it.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 1:48 pm

We should *know* any requirements for traveling about the country via commercial air

wow, that sounds like it was written by BB's non-evil twin. i agree that Phil was on the right side of the law, but i would describe his posture as adversarial. "completely cooperative" is not it.
I did not cooperate with unlawful attempts by Mr. Breedon (airport security guard) and by Mr. Romero (airport security guard shift manager) to stop me from recording their actions. Considering that, it seems reasonable to say that I was something less than "completely cooperative" with TSA staff. I was completely cooperative with the police. If anyone disagrees with the preceding statements, I'd like to hear his or her opinion on the matter.

you can fly without ID, but you can't fly without identifying yourself.
Seat1A, I think that because any law or TSA operating procedure requiring such is secret, what you've written is just a theory. Please don't take this as some sort of aggression or challenge: Do you have information that allows you to know this to be the case? I suspect you've stated a suspicion based on various press releases, blog posts, and "tips for travelers" Web pages, not based on your reading of any law we are required to follow.

This is something that we supposedly-free people should know. I hope someone will test the system and report his or her findings.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 1:49 pm

That's what the security guard testified, but there's no such statement heard in my video. If such a statement was made, it would have to have been made before I started videorecording.
you are correct -- i absolutely stand corrected on that point. it all runs together after a few hours. fwiw, i came away believing that after watching the video and hearing the testimony.... (in general, i found TSO Breedon more credible than officer Dilley -- i thought Breedon believed what he was saying, and that made me more likely to accept his recollection of details..)

Since TSA won't publish their rules and regulations, the only way we can learn about those rules and regulations is by experimentation and observation.
this is my biggest problem with TSA, and i applaud your effort to do just that. i'm not a fan of being gratuitously adversarial with authority, but when authority won't divulge the rules of the game, what you did was necessary.

my issue was with a post that i thought went over the top in your defense, and not at all with your actions. when the truth is on your side, why embellish it?
Old Feb 5, 2011, 1:54 pm

Considering that, it seems reasonable to say that I was something less than "completely cooperative" with TSA staff. I was completely cooperative with the police. If anyone disagrees with the preceding statements, I'd like to hear his or her opinion on the matter.
i agree with this completely -- from what i saw on the video, i believe your goal with law enforcement was to cooperate completely, and get back to the TSA.

Seat1A, I think that because any law or TSA operating procedure requiring such is secret, what you've written is just a theory. Please don't take this as some sort of aggression or challenge: Do you have information that allows you to know this to be the case? I suspect you've stated a suspicion based on various press releases, blog posts, and "tips for travelers" Web pages, not based on your reading of any law we are required to follow.

This is something that we supposedly-free people should know. I hope someone will test the system and report his or her findings.
yeah, you and i are on the same page here. this is a thread that started with discussion on BB's post, and i'm comparing an over the top anti-TSA post with the TSA's public position and with BB's poor representation of the TSA's public position and with my own view of the available evidence.

i do believe i have accurately stated the TSA's public position.

the minute we really "know", TSA will be sure to change the rules.

Last edited by Seat1A; Feb 5, 2011 at 2:01 pm
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Wally Bird

That's....SSI!

(sorry, Wally Bird, I couldn't resist)
Old Feb 5, 2011, 5:04 pm

I was saying that there is a difference between “not guilty” and “innocent”. You and the other folks here are the ones drawing conclusions based upon what I have written.
Here's your chance to clear the air: What is he not innocent of?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.