Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National Opt-Out Day: November 24, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
CNN News headlines the NoS rebellion on the 8am news. Opt out day mentioned.
Waiting in the RCC this morning @ ORD, I saw the segment on CNN about the opt-out day! I also spread a few brochures around the place

Originally Posted by bsixseven
Why don't people quit complaining about security and try to come up with ways to improve airport security? I really don't want my plane to be the one with all the opt outs on it!

FYI, best to search the thread, before making a claim that we are just complaining and not suggesting any fixes... We have suggested MANY ideas!
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:59 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by cordelli
NPR -
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010...rport-scanners

If you're planning to fly on the day before Thanksgiving, be warned. Going through security may take longer than your time in the air.

One group is outraged the new machines see through clothes to detect concealed weapons or bombs, calling it an invasion of privacy. So they've organized a "national opt-out day" on Nov. 24. The group is urging travelers to refuse the body scanning and opt for a pat-down instead.

But that could clog security lines at many airports, given the TSA's new especially thorough pat-down procedures.
After this rather patronising lead, the rest of the article seems to present a fairly good summary of the criticisms, and portray them as creditable.

Of course, when you get a significant portion of your funding from the government, it may be hard to lead off with a harsh criticism...
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
I've been following the news on the growing backlash against the NoS and the groping; as I have no plans to be anywhere near the USA on 24.11, I cannot participate personally in national opt-out day, but thought I would share my recent travel experience because it reveals just how ridiculous the TSA has become.

I recently flew to SIN, at the beginning of Eid Al-Adha, one of the busiest travel days of the year. Overall, the experience was quite bad, as I got bumped from my original (direct) flight and was put on a flight to CGK instead, where I was supposed to catch a connection to SIN, but then that flight was delayed so we missed the connection...anyway, long story there but beside the point and I eventually made it.

Normally, I do not alarm the WTMD -- I pretty much have the process down to a routine -- keys, mobile, GPS in the tray, remove belt buckle, walk through, etc. Naturally, there was nobody bellowing at me at the checkpoint, nor did I take my laptop out, nor did I take my shoes off. For some reason I alarmed the WTMD both in DOH and CGK -- not sure why, because I was wearing what is more or less my "standard" travel outfit and usually I do not alarm.

In both airports I was politely and undramatically asked to step aside, an agent walked up and did 15 second pat-down and I was on my way. Didn't come anywhere near my genitalia.

I have asked this question many, many times before -- here on this board, and in letters to the TSA and my elected representatives -- and I have never received any sort of credible reply: if the rest of the world can do this without causing planes to drop out of the sky, why can't the USA? In particular, it is interesting that CGK doesn't do the security theatre, despite the fact that Indonesia has been subject to several major terror attacks in recent years.

This question, and the other I have often repeated, which is about how we are expected to casually accept 1/2 million road accident deaths every year without feeling the need to implement panicked, restrictive road-safety measures, but are somehow unable to do the same thing when it comes to a few hundred terror deaths, have been pointedly ignored by the security establishment, because they have no reasonable answer to offer. I hope and expect that opt-out day will expose some of the lack of logic behind these policies.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
After going thru the full Monty tonight (refused nudeoscope as is my custom) even I was shocked at how bad this is. What used to take 30seconds by hand and or wand is now a 5 minute ordeal and yes they really do
Touch everything. To his credit he wasted another minute explaining exactly what he planned to do and how he would do it.

In any case i wish u all the best of luck. If everyone does it on Wednesday things will surely grind to a halt at 5 min per person.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 6:56 am

Boraxo,

Can you also confirm that the pat is more than a pat, i.e., that it includes lifting shirts and feeling into the pants?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 7:38 am

I am one of the hated TSA that has to stand there operating that machine. You may get scanned once, but I get it all day long! Unfortunately I have no choice to opt out.
That's why you guys in TSA who ARE rational human beings ought to be WITH us. One of the things that struck me during my recent experience in FLL is that you guys are exposed to this stuff all day, every day, because the x-ray machines are not enclosed. This is a threat to YOUR safety as well. You guys need to be as vociferous as the pilots, the flight attendants, and the passengers are becoming.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by bsixseven
I understand fully. I am one of the hated TSA that has to stand there operating that machine. You may get scanned once, but I get it all day long! Unfortunately I have no choice to opt out.
You have a choice, sir.

You can resign your position and take another job. Nobody is MAKING you stand there next to the radiation.

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Boraxo,

Can you also confirm that the pat is more than a pat, i.e., that it includes lifting shirts and feeling into the pants?
I watched a clerk at EWR do a pat down on a pax and she absolutely put her hands under the waistband of her pants a good 1-2 inches.

She also did use the back of her hands across the buttocks, but by then I was so disgusted by what was happening I walked away before I said something to get arrested.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 14, 2010 at 10:10 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by alan747
Well, he does have "Suspended" under his name, and the coat hanger post has mysteriously disappeared.
He was not suspended when I posted that... I did check.

I now see that he is suspended. Perhaps it was just after I posted, or between the time I checked and posted. All moot now, however.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
National Opt-Out Day For Non-Flyers?

Hi all,

I will not be traveling during Thanksgiving, and am based out of an airport that doesn't yet have AIT (it's coming next summer when GFK's new terminal opens). I have the 24th off from work and class.

There have been talks of handing out pamphlets to travelers at airports during the holidays. I think that day might be as good a day as any.

Does anyone have templates/suggestions of things to say to the airport manager for permission?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
The Weather Channel just covered it & the guy said if they were going to pat his kids down he would go home^over all positive.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:51 am

Goldberg post in The Atlantic on Opt-Out Day

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...w-twist/66545/

Jeffrey Goldberg's new post on TSA is about National Opt Out Day.

By the way, it is the official position of Goldblog that everyday is opt-out day. There's no need to wait until November 24th. But come November 24th, here's an idea you might try to make the day extra-special. It's a one-word idea: Kilts. Think about it -- if you're a male, and you want to bollix-up the nonsensical airport security-industrial complex, one way to do so would be to wear a kilt. If nothing else, this will cause TSA employees to throw up their hands in disgust. If you want to go the extra extra mile, I suggest commando-style kilt-wearing. While it is probably illegal to fly without pants, I can't imagine that it's illegal to fly without underpants. I If you are Scottish, or part Scottish, or know someone who is Scottish, or eat Scottish salmon, or enjoy Scotch, or have a vestigial affection for "Braveheart" despite Mel Gibson, you can plausibly claim some sort of multicultural diversity privilege -- the term "True Scotsman" refers to soldiers who honor their tradition and heritage by wearing kilts without drawers underneath. (This photo illustrates the possible consequences of the "True Scotsman" kilt-wearing very well.)
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by mikemey
I watched a clerk at EWR do a pat down on a pax and she absolutely put her hands under the waistband of her pants a good 1-2 inches.

She also did use the back of her hands across the buttocks, but by then I was so disgusted by what was happening I walked away before I said something to get arrested.
This is absolutely disgusting.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:55 am

By the way, it is the official position of Goldblog that everyday is opt-out day. There's no need to wait until November 24th. But come November 24th, here's an idea you might try to make the day extra-special. It's a one-word idea: Kilts.
One of my very favourite TS&S topics!!!

The waistband searches however lead me to wonder if that is why eyecue insists that every dress is reason for a secondary. He keeps saying dresses are 'bulky' which isn't true, but I wonder if it can be because TSOs have no way of running their hand inside the waist of a dress wearer.

I did point out before that in at least one other country I was asked to touch my waist and then my hands were swabbed ETD.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Ellie M

Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Ellie M

By the way, it is the official position of Goldblog that everyday is opt-out day. There's no need to wait until November 24th. But come November 24th, here's an idea you might try to make the day extra-special. It's a one-word idea: Kilts. Think about it -- if you're a male, and you want to bollix-up the nonsensical airport security-industrial complex, one way to do so would be to wear a kilt. If nothing else, this will cause TSA employees to throw up their hands in disgust. If you want to go the extra extra mile, I suggest commando-style kilt-wearing. While it is probably illegal to fly without pants, I can't imagine that it's illegal to fly without underpants. I If you are Scottish, or part Scottish, or know someone who is Scottish, or eat Scottish salmon, or enjoy Scotch, or have a vestigial affection for "Braveheart" despite Mel Gibson, you can plausibly claim some sort of multicultural diversity privilege -- the term "True Scotsman" refers to soldiers who honor their tradition and heritage by wearing kilts without drawers underneath. (This photo illustrates the possible consequences of the "True Scotsman" kilt-wearing very well.)
And here is the link for that Photo: http://www.highlandpiping.net/photo-...ack_watch1.jpg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.