Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Call to arms.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by John Q. Public
Instead of causing terror at home and abroad, wouldn’t TSA be more productive if they all went over to Haiti to aid in the rescue, recovery and rebuilding?
By demanding ID documents, confiscating their liquids and making them remove their shoes? I agree with BD; the Haitians have suffered enough already.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:12 pm

Ron, can you tell us what the difference between the two procedures I described is?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:43 pm

Programs: SSSSS
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
By demanding ID documents, confiscating their liquids and making them remove their shoes? I agree with BD; the Haitians have suffered enough already.
When I was there (Cite Soleil), I'm sure they would be happy to remove shoes. Or to have shoes at all. Or liquids for that matter.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TSORon
Sure I can. I choose not to, at least not any further than I already have.

Listen guys, this is getting towards the personal side and I would hate to have the admins back in here deleting posts and admonishing users because we cannot keep the conversation on topic or civil. So either stay on topic or let the thread die.
How is my question "personal?" And it is directly on topic.

In two earlier posts, you stated "If while I am searching for that mystic WEI I find your plastic baggie full of leafy green stuff, I am going to refer it to my supervisor for action" and "Makes the call for a LEO easy as pie," and "SOP give us a list of things we must report. Since we are not law enforcement officers it is not our place to make determinations of the legality of items other than WEI."

There is no SOP in existence that can tell you if a white powder is a WEI, or if not WEI, is or is not illegal. Since it is impossible to tell what the white powder you find during your authorized search for WEI is without a test, and you are not supposed to be looking for items that aren't WEI, if you aren't calling for an LEO every time you find a bag of white powder, aren't you indeed "making a determination of the legality of items other than WEI?"

Since you are not a qualified LEO, you don't have the authority or experience to make that determination. Correct?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by TSORon
Thanks Phil, that was helpful.

Yes, there is a difference. We do not intentionally look for illegal drugs. If they are found, it is incidental to what we ARE looking for.
But Ron - it is impossible to look at a substance and know for a fact that is an illegal drug. So do you call a LEO every time you find a bag with white powder?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by halls120
But Ron - it is impossible to look at a substance and know for a fact that is an illegal drug. So do you call a LEO every time you find a bag with white powder?
Flew out of MSP last week. Week before I packed some tea into my luggage and forgot to remove it. Checked the luggage. When I got to the hotel the tea (boxed) was on top of everything. It wasn't on top when I left. They're looking for drugs at least at MSP.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:05 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Flew out of MSP last week. Week before I packed some tea into my luggage and forgot to remove it. Checked the luggage. When I got to the hotel the tea (boxed) was on top of everything. It wasn't on top when I left. They're looking for drugs at least at MSP.
I am convinced that the government is using the TSA as the new front in the (failed) war on drugs.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I am convinced that the government is using the TSA as the new front in the (failed) war on drugs.
No, we aren't. We're using TSA as a new front in the effort to federalize as many aspects of life as we can, and it sickens me.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:20 pm

paging TSO we-don't-search-your-bags-for-drugs-we-just-keep-an-eye-out-for-them Ron

Hello, Ron? Can you tell us what the difference between the two procedures I described is?

You seem to think there's a difference between A) saying you're not searching for drugs, then calling the police to start an investigation when you find something that looks like drugs, and B) saying that you are searching for drugs, then calling the police to start an investigation when you find something that looks like drugs. I think they are, in effect, the same. It seems to me that if you truly weren't searching for drugs, when you saw something that looked like drugs, you'd move on just like you would move on if you saw something that looked like a travel pillow.

You've not responded to multiple requests for your opinion, but I've seen posts by you in other threads since.

During your search of passengers and their belongings, you do react differently to items that look like drugs than you do to items that look like travel pillows, don't you? And during those searches, you do react the same to items that look like drugs as you do to items that look like weapons, don't you? Assuming that those are the case, how can you say that you are searching for weapons, but not searching for drugs and not searching for travel pillows? During your search, weapons, explosives, drugs, drug paraphernalia, and large quantities of cash are all in one class, and everything else you see is in another, right?

I'm not asking you to admit that you're searching for drugs, drug paraphernalia, and large quantities of cash in addition to weapons, explosives, and incendiaries. I'm just trying to get confirmation or denial from you that what you're doing, though not designated by you as a search for drugs, is in effect, exactly the same as a search for drugs. Could you please either state that you agree with this or explain how what you do differs from a search for drugs?

Last edited by pmocek; Jan 26, 2010 at 5:23 pm Reason: fix typo
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Well, the TSA caught another guy with marijuana and $5,100 in cash in IND yesterday. Sleep tight tonight, no F snack basket will be raided by someone with the munchies.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:47 pm

How much volume would 20 grams of marijuana be? And why does the article mention the cash, especially when all he was charged with was misdemeanor possession?
Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:11 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Well, the TSA caught another guy with marijuana and $5,100 in cash in IND yesterday. Sleep tight tonight, no F snack basket will be raided by someone with the munchies.
and the pax is dumb as a post for carrying it like that but the tsa is still wrong as if it's not a w, e or i, then what legal authority does the tsa have to make a determination that a crime has been/is being committed. now, just once i'd like to see someone do that with oregano and get caught
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ND Sol
How much volume would 20 grams of marijuana be? And why does the article mention the cash, especially when all he was charged with was misdemeanor possession?
By weight about 3/4 ounce.

So how much volume does 3/4 ounce of tea consume?
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
and the pax is dumb as a post for carrying it like that but the tsa is still wrong as if it's not a w, e or i, then what legal authority does the tsa have to make a determination that a crime has been/is being committed. now, just once i'd like to see someone do that with oregano and get caught
I will be making some trips over the next couple of months. Thinking about taking a small quanity of white powder and seeing what happens.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
By weight about 3/4 ounce.

So how much volume does 3/4 ounce of tea consume?
Around 3-4 tea bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.