Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Call to arms.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
And while you're at it, Ron, perhaps you'll answer my question - Do you call a LEO every time you encounter a white powder substance in a carry on?
Thats going to depend entirely on the circumstances. You should know, there is very little in this world that is an absolute black and white.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by TSORon
Really? And your support for your statement is?
You have a tree in your yard that you don't like so you cut it down. Illegal in some communities. You have a shed on your property and don't like it so you demolish it and find yourself with a ticket from the city.

Destroying currency looks like it is intent driven. If your intent is to render the currency unusable then it is a crime.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
I can't seem to find anything else that would qualify this; at face value, it looks like destroying paper currency is in fact against the law.
IANAL, but it would seem to me that the issue surrounds intent. Here is the statute you quoted:

Whoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.
If my intent is simply to plump up a mattress or pillow, am I violating the law? My intent is not to render it unfit to be reissued, but to use it for a specific purpose.

Additionally, what if I was burning currency as a speech act, much like burning a flag, to express my disdain at U.S. policies? My intent is a political statement, not the intent to keep the money from being reissued.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thats going to depend entirely on the circumstances. You should know, there is very little in this world that is an absolute black and white.
So you exercise your discretion, correct? What training have been you been provided with to help you decide when to call an LEO?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
IANAL, but it would seem to me that the issue surrounds intent. [...]

If my intent is simply to plump up a mattress or pillow, am I violating the law? My intent is not to render it unfit to be reissued, but to use it for a specific purpose.
Well ... IANAL either, but your two statements don't seem to be mutually exclusive. You could always stuff your pillow with un-shredded bills, which would allow you to use it for your intended purpose without rendering it unfit to be re-issued. On the other hand, if you shred the bills, it would seem to be pretty obvious that those bills are unfit for re-issue, and that you knew it when you shredded them.

At the same time, of course, I note that the Treasury has a service which will re-issue badly damaged currency if they can recover enough of each bill to determine what was there before it was damaged. This usually occurs in the context of accidents (fire, flood, etc.). If merely damaging the bill was subject to sanction, I doubt the recovery service would exist.

Anyways ... we're getting off track here ...
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
So you exercise your discretion, correct? What training have been you been provided with to help you decide when to call an LEO?
13 years as a military policeman. More training in this area than the average airport policeman.

And we dont discuss training. SSI. I know you are not going to like that answer, but you are just going to have to live with it.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:09 pm

13 years as a military policeman. More training in this area than the average airport policeman.

And we dont discuss training. SSI. I know you are not going to like that answer, but you are just going to have to live with it.
Isn't the "cat out of the bag" on training?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by IslandBased
Isn't the "cat out of the bag" on training?
To be fair to Ron ... even if various SSI documents have been leaked, that doesn't make them any less SSI. Until such time as The Powers That Be remove the SSI from those documents, TSOs like Ron can't talk about them.

Yes, it's bizarre. But TSA is hardly the first agency to have that little paradox.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
You cannot be prosecuted for destroying your own personal property, as long as you are not attempting commit some crime by doing so.

Destroy a single dollar bill and you can be prosecuted for destroying government property. You don’t own the cash, the government does. The government backs it, secures it to ensure that its value is not reduced by fraud or counterfeiting, guarantee’s that the face value is backed by the full weight of the US government, and that the real value that your one dollar bill represents is backed by some tangible asset.

IOW, it’s the governments cash. It represents something of value, be that time, energy, metals, or information. What it represents may be yours, but the instrument itself belongs to the government.
And this is the kind of arrogance that is one prime reason that TSA looks bad. Ron, it's obvious that you're on a witch hunt when you work, based on the statements you make here and the attitude with which you make them. Assuming that other screeners are like you, and it's also obvious that your goal is NOT security of aviation, but rather a larger dragnet with the intent to chase and prosecute crime. That's not the agency's mission, but what the heck, why let things like that stop a good dragnet.

I wonder if you might be better going back to being a policeman where you will truly be able to have the power over the people.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In two earlier posts, you stated "If while I am searching for that mystic WEI I find your plastic baggie full of leafy green stuff, I am going to refer it to my supervisor for action" and "Makes the call for a LEO easy as pie," and "SOP give us a list of things we must report. Since we are not law enforcement officers it is not our place to make determinations of the legality of items other than WEI."

There is no SOP in existence that can tell you if a white powder is a WEI, or if not WEI, is or is not illegal. Since it is impossible to tell what the white powder you find during your authorized search for WEI is without a test, and you are not supposed to be looking for items that aren't WEI, if you aren't calling for an LEO every time you find a bag of white powder, aren't you indeed "making a determination of the legality of items other than WEI?" Since you are not a qualified LEO, you don't have the authority or experience to make that determination.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: SSSSS
You cannot be prosecuted for destroying your own personal property, as long as you are not attempting commit some crime by doing so.

Destroy a single dollar bill and you can be prosecuted for destroying government property. You don’t own the cash, the government does. The government backs it, secures it to ensure that its value is not reduced by fraud or counterfeiting, guarantee’s that the face value is backed by the full weight of the US government, and that the real value that your one dollar bill represents is backed by some tangible asset.

IOW, it’s the governments cash. It represents something of value, be that time, energy, metals, or information. What it represents may be yours, but the instrument itself belongs to the government.
1. I never said anything about destroying currency.
2. If it is in my possession, it is simply not the government's money and will never be the government's money unless I hand it to the government to pay a legal debt, usually taxes, but as I've found out, the IRS doesn't accept cash.
It may be the government's currency, but it is, in fact, my cash. The government is not permitted to have any interest in it.

Therefore, your response, as have been so many others, is a non sequitur.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
To be fair to Ron ... even if various SSI documents have been leaked, that doesn't make them any less SSI. Until such time as The Powers That Be remove the SSI from those documents, TSOs like Ron can't talk about them.

Yes, it's bizarre. But TSA is hardly the first agency to have that little paradox.
It's also true of the real stuff, even if it's been published in a widely circulated journal....a source of endless frustration.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 6:07 pm

I didn't realize that guarding Air Force airplanes necessitated that much more training for drugs than the average civilian airport policeman.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
I didn't realize that guarding Air Force airplanes necessitated that much more training for drugs than the average civilian airport policeman.
But they do have to teach 'em which pitot tube is ok to walk on.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.