Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2010, 1:32 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
He didn't need to identify himself. Note that the Albuquerque ordinance was enacted pre-Brown and the city council likely either didn't know of or ignored the Supreme Court's ruling. There is no reasonable suspicion standard stated in the ordinance and allows the officer to simply use the catch all of "discharging duties." That doesn't pass muster.
Sometimes you give in on one issue to focus on the more important ones-- taking of photos constituting DC (in reality, I'll bet the police caused the DC-- their presence was possibly what made everyone's heads turn) and presentation of ID to TDC's.

Now there's a whole other issue injected-- and he is on tape sounding like an immature child to a jury. Terrible.
Old May 28, 2010, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I don't understand why you keep referring to me playing a game. I have not played a game with anyone.

I still believe that Phil was properly identified to the police.

Besides, on the audio recording the police officer said he was arresting Phil for being stupid, not for lack of identification.
The you I am referring to is the collective use of the word. The collective use is referring to the public at large.

You can believe what you want to believe. However, it appears to be in compliance with the law in NM you as an individual have to identify yourself to law enforcement not have someone else do it for you.

I tend to agree with the officer. Mr Mecok was being stupid. He entered into this encounter without a full understanding of what is required of him under Albuquerque NM law. He understood his standing with TSA just fine. However, once it was escalated and NM Law Enforcement got involved it changed things considerably. To at the very least to avoid the charge of concealing identity all he had to do was verbally give his name. He chose not to do that. It is unwise to play the flex your rights game unless you have a clear understanding of the laws and procedures in place at the venue you plan to flex your rights at. You do not gain this understanding via internet forums. You do your research, in this case, with a competent criminal lawyer in the area that you intend to make your point BEFORE you do anything else.

FB
Old May 28, 2010, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Firebug4
The you I am referring to is the collective use of the word. The collective use is referring to the public at large.

You can believe what you want to believe. However, it appears to be in compliance with the law in NM you as an individual have to identify yourself to law enforcement not have someone else do it for you.

I tend to agree with the officer. Mr Mecok was being stupid. He entered into this encounter without a full understanding of what is required of him under Albuquerque NM law. He understood his standing with TSA just fine. However, once it was escalated and NM Law Enforcement got involved it changed things considerably. To at the very least to avoid the charge of concealing identity all he had to do was verbally give his name. He chose not to do that. It is unwise to play the flex your rights game unless you have a clear understanding of the laws and procedures in place at the venue you plan to flex your rights at. You do not gain this understanding via internet forums. You do your research, in this case, with a competent criminal lawyer in the area that you intend to make your point BEFORE you do anything else.

FB
Is being stupid a reason to arrest someone?

I would certainly hope the defense asks the officer if he arrested Phil per his statement then later changed the reason for arrest so he didn't look stupid himself.

I think that one statement by the police officers discredits everything else he did.
Old May 28, 2010, 2:44 pm

I would certainly hope the defense asks the officer if he arrested Phil per his statement then later changed the reason for arrest so he didn't look stupid himself.

I think that one statement by the police officers discredits everything else he did.
Nope, being stupid is not a reason to arrest someone.

Getting arrested for violating a law that could be avoided by simply verbally telling a Law Enforcement officer your name is in my opinion kind of stupid.

People do stupid things all the time that get them arrested. Are there a legitimate laws to charge them with? Yes, absolutely but what do you think the real reason is that the person finds themselves in trouble.

Do I think Mr. Mocek set out to give anybody a hard time? Yes, I do. I think he set out to give TSA a hard time concerning their ID policy. I think he was within his rights to do exactly that. However, I don't think he did his research concerning where he was when he did that. Once local police got involved he was in over his head concerning local and state laws. Once you (collective use) start dealing with Local Law Enforcement and the DA's that prosecute the cases you (collective use) must remember they deal with these laws everyday. Unless you (collective use) do the same they are going to have a significant advantage over you (collective use). The way to neutralize that advantage is to consult with a criminal lawyer in that venue before anything is done. There are too many people getting there information from various internet forums from people that really have no idea what they are talking about. This is because what is legal and correct in one area may not be the same somewhere else.

FB

Last edited by Firebug4; May 28, 2010 at 3:57 pm
Old May 28, 2010, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Firebug4
Nope, being stupid is not a reason to arrest someone.

Getting arrested for violating a law that could be avoided by simply verbally telling a Law Enforcement officer your name is in my opinion kind of stupid.

People do stupid things all the time that get them arrested. Is there a legitimate laws to charge them with? Yes, absolutely but what do you think the real reason the person finds themselves in trouble.

Do I think Mr. Mocek set out to give anybody a hard time? Yes, I do. I think he set out to give TSA a hard time concerning their ID policy. I think he was within his rights to do exactly that. However, I don't think he did his research concerning where he was when he did that. Once local police got involved he was in over his head concerning local and state laws. Once you (collective use) start dealing with Local Law Enforcement and the DA's that prosecute the cases you (collective use) must remember they deal with these laws everyday. Unless you (collective use) do the same they are going to have a significant advantage over you (collective use). The way to neutralize that advantage is to consult with a criminal lawyer in that venue before anything is done. There are too many people getting there information from various internet forums from people that really have no idea what they are talking about. This is because what is legal and correct in one area may not be the same somewhere else.

FB
I understand what you are saying but the question I am asking is specifically this; will the officers recorded comment that he was arresting Phil for being stupid have any bearing on the case? It seems to me that the officer articulated an invalid reason for an arrest.
Old May 28, 2010, 3:40 pm

I understand what you are saying but the question I am asking is specifically this; will the officers recorded comment that he was arresting Phil for being stupid have any bearing on the case? It seems to me that the officer articulated an invalid reason for an arrest.
Articulated to whom? The bystander? If he gave being stupid as the reason for the arrest on the affidavit to the court I would agree with you. However, that is not what he did. He gave being stupid as a reason to a bystander. That is not a sworn legal document or venue so legally it doesn't invalidate anything. Would the comment have an affect on a jury is another matter altogether. That will have to be seen if the recording is allowed into evidence in its entirety.

FB
Old May 28, 2010, 3:44 pm

no.... I don't think the governments(federal/state/local) have enough money
to build new jails for millions of potential inmates who are arrested/convicted
of being stupid.
Old May 28, 2010, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by boiflyer
In general, when a LEO asks for someones ID, can the person respond with "Is that a lawful order, or a request?". Wouldn't that be the best way to deal with any such request for ID by a LEO. Seems to me that would make it pretty clear-cut. Or, does the LEO then deem them uncooperative to identify oneself and then just arrest them for simply asking?
From my understanding, the LEO is under no obligation to tell the truth. Lying to the LEO is a crime, but the LEO may lie to you as part of an investigation. This certainly happens when they interview you, and probably can happen at any time. So, I would not take their word no matter what answer is given.
Old May 28, 2010, 9:00 pm

The surveillance cameras in Cal Anderson Park are part of a pilot program designed to test their viability as a crime fighting tool. However, police have only requested to look at the footage a few times since the City Council approved the program in June 2008, and the footage has not been used in a single conviction. The program sunsetted in January and the cameras are supposed to be turned off, but they still may be running.

Phil Mocek, who attended the meeting and has been active in opposing the Cal Anderson cameras, told the City Council Parks and Seattle Center Committee at its May 3 meeting that he requested footage taken by the cameras for this year and received it, proving, he said, that they are still turned on and recording after the scheduled sunset date.

Jim Pugel, Assistant Chief of the Seattle Police Department, argued in favor of keeping the cameras turned on — though he thought they had been turned off in January. Pugel said that, because the cameras are already in place, the cost of running them would be negligible and that they can still be useful to law enforecement. No one at the hearing suggested expanding the camera surveillance program.

Brian Alseth, Director of the Technology and Liberty Program for the ACLU of Washington, argued that, because there was no evidence they were effective, the cameras should stay off. He said that as this pilot program has ended, the decision should be made to either go forward with the whole program or pull the plug entirely. Alseth said he is concerned that people tend to take a defeatist attitude toward the prevalence of surveillance and just say, “How do you fight it?” He said having a few cameras in Cal Anderson might just push some crime to other areas, and that it would be a bad idea for Seattle to install a city-wide surveillance system, like in London.

The committee did not make any decisions about the cameras at the meeting.
Guess this guy wasn't a random traveler. He probably booked a flight JUST to trigger something like this.

I wonder where the "polite" adjective came from. Doesn't sound like a news reporter was watching.
Old May 29, 2010, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
Guess this guy wasn't a random traveler. He probably booked a flight JUST to trigger something like this.

I wonder where the "polite" adjective came from. Doesn't sound like a news reporter was watching.
Sounds to me like he had (has) a higher calling than himself -- a character trait I happen to respect.
Old May 29, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by SirFlysALot
Yeah because before you showed them your ID they had no idea of your address, birth date, drivers license and Social Security Numbers. Sounds like a good plan to me! They could never steal your identity with that information!
Apparently you haven't had your identity stolen by a hotel clerk. I have - by one at the Riga Royal in NYC. And a second time by another hotel in NYC. In both cases they insisted on seeing my ID (in one case they copied it). (Side note: it was well after midnight when I arrived and there weren't any reasonable alternatives). These were used to make fake IDs (they got the DL #). One cloned both the ID and the AmEx card.

AmEx canceled the bogus charges - but provided little support to the prosecutor in Miami (that's right, the perps sent the info to colleagues in Miami, who went to town... $20,000 in 3 days).

They also used the ID to set up fake phone & electric services, including cellphones. I discovered that after Verizon (then Bell Atlantic) turned it over for collection, several thousand dollars later. BA/Verizon was not helpful, and it took a couple of months and legal threats to make the collection company go away.

But wait, that's not all: 7 years later the same collection company sold the debt to another company but failed to flag that the matter was ID theft/fraud and that it had been resolved. It took another month of arguing with the new company, copying my correspondence to the attorney general of the state involved and the FTC, and submitting copies of the original resolution correspondence to the new collection company to make the issue go away.

Never again.

Originally Posted by Superguy
I've actually been getting that a lot at Hilton properties lately. Got it at the DoubleTree near RIC and the HGI at RDU.

I need to start asking about why they're asking for it.
One Hilton property told me that they were requested to do so by the government so they would "know who's staying there if asked by LEO". Another - and they walked me when I refused, but didn't pay for the alternate accommodations - tried to tell me it was a state law (I debunked that pretty quickly, turned out there was a LOCAL law that required the hotel to get ID for CASH customers.... said ID was specifically not required for credit card customers).
Old May 29, 2010, 10:51 am

On the issue of the Concealing Identity charge, usually the word "conceal" requires some action, not an omission. When I look up the word in a dictionary, it says "to keep from being seen, found, observed, or discovered; hide.". In other words, to take active steps to prevent something from being discovered. If you're in my house and forget where you left your cellphone and I've happened to see it and you ask me where it is and I don't tell you where it is, have I "concealed" your phone? I don't think so: all I've done is refused to help you find it. "Refuse to divulge" and "conceal" are not synonyms, but mean very different things.

And the statute also requires intent to deceive or to interfere with law enforcement. Since the police had his correct identity, it's hard to see how not "confirming" it would do any of those things. So the prosecution can't prove either element of the charge: the "conceal" part or the "intent" part.

Moreover, if the question "what's your name?" could be interpreted (as some have posted here) to be "are you the person who's name is on this boarding pass?", answering that question could incriminate oneself under the "concealing" statute. So one has an absolute Fifth Amendment right to chose not to answer it.

The last two sentences in Hiibel actually deal with this issue:

Still, a case may arise where there is a substantial allegation that furnishing identity at the time of a stop would have given the police a link in the chain of evidence needed to convict the individual of a separate offense. In that case, the court can then consider whether the privilege applies, and, if the Fifth Amendment has been violated, what remedy must follow. We need not resolve those questions here.
This may well be such a case.

As to what a jury might do, I almost see that as irrelevant: the issues here are much more legal than factual. All the "action" here would be in the appeal if there's a conviction. Let's assume the jury accepts all the prosecution's evidence as factual and decides that Phil did, in fact, do everything asserted in the police statements. There's a real question of whether those actions are a violation of the law (as interpreted consistently with the Constitution).

Although people tend to describe a trial as determining whether the defendant broke the law, that's not actually the jury's function. Ignoring the issue of nullification for this purpose, the jury's function is to determine whether, as a factual matter, the defendent did those things alleged by the prosecution. If they rule that he or she did not, the case ends there. But if they rule that the defendant did those things, there's still the question of whether those things violate the law as written, whether the law is being interpreted correctly, and whether the law is constitutional. Those things are up to the courts, including appeals courts.

And to give my opinion on a related issue: I believe that a Terry stop did occur. However, Hiibel only applies if there's a statue that requires the person to identify oneself. I don't believe that anybody has shown such a statute (the "Conceal" statute isn't it, in my opinion), but even if one does exist, Phil met the requirements to "identify oneself" by presenting a boarding pass giving his correct name. He has no legal obligations beyond that point.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 29, 2010 at 3:56 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old May 29, 2010, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
On the issue of the Concealing Identity charge, usually the word "conceal" requires some action, not an omission. When I look up the word in a dictionary, it says "to keep from being seen, found, observed, or discovered; hide.". In other words, to take active steps to prevent something from being discovered. If you're in my house and forget where you left your cellphone and I've happened to see it and you ask me where it is and I don't tell you where it is, have I "concealed" your phone? I don't think so: all I've done is refused to help you find it. "Refuse to divulge" and "conceal" are not synonyms, but mean very different things.

And the statute also requires intent to deceive or to interfere with law enforcement. Since the police had his correct identity, it's hard to see how not "confirming" it would do any of those things. So the prosecution can't prove either element of the charge: the "conceal" part or the "intent" part.

Moreover, if the question "what's your name?" could be interpreted (as some have posted here) to be "are you the person who's name is on this boarding pass?", answering that question could incriminate oneself under the "concealing" statute. So one has an absolute Fifth Amendment right to chose not to answer it.

The last two sentences in Hiibel actually deal with this issue:

This may well be such a case.
You have to go back and re-read Hibel. It says the exact opposite of what you are posting here. It specifically addresses the Fifth Amendment issue. You can not incriminate oneself merely by given your identity to Law Enforcement. As is discussed in the case, If providing Law Enforcement, with or without a court order, samples of blood, hair, DNA etc is not a Fifth Amendment violation of self-incrimination how is giving your name a violation.

This tactic has been used many times by individuals that refused to give their Identity to Law Enforcement because they knew they had warrants. It has never worked for them either. The argument that you are posting was the one of the dissenting judges opinion which for this discussion is on the wrong side of the issue.

The state was upheld in Hibel and Hibel was convicted under a failure to identify. I would caution the practice of using the dictionary to support legal arguments. A courtroom is not an English classroom. It just doesn't work that way.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...&invol=03-5554

FB
Old May 29, 2010, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by pmocek
The law says:
I looked for, and can't find, the Jury Instructions for 30-22-3. Do you know what chapter it's in? That would say whether an overt act is required to violate it.

Last edited by RichardKenner; May 29, 2010 at 11:56 am Reason: Correct number.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
As to what a jury might do, I almost see that as irrelevant: the issues here are much more legal than factual. All the "action" here would be in the appeal if there's a conviction. Let's assume the jury accepts all the prosecution's evidence as factual and decides that Phil did, in fact, do everything asserted in the police statements. There's a real question of whether those actions are a violation of the law (as interpreted consistently with the Constitution).

Although people tend to describe a trial as determining whether the defendant broke the law, that's not actually the jury's function. Ignoring the issue of nullification for this purpose, the jury's function is to determine whether, as a factual matter, the defendent did those things alleged by the prosecution. If they rule that he or she did not, the case ends there. But if they rule that the defendant did those things, there's still the question of whether those things violate the law as written, whether the law is being interpreted correctly, and whether the law is constitutional. Those things are up to the courts, including appeals courts.

And to give my opinion on a related issue: I believe that a Terry stop did occur. However, Hiibel only applies if there's a statue that requires the person to identify oneself. I don't believe that anybody has shown such a statute (the "Conceal" statute isn't it, in my opinion), but even if one does exist, Phil met the requirements to "identify oneself" by presenting a boarding pass giving his correct name. He has no legal obligations beyond that point.
Many questions here. The first being did Phil provide the boarding pass to the Police or did TSA. The oridinance requires the individual to identify himself not a third party. As for where you beleive the "action" is going to be, there already has been a lot of action and all have held that giving your name to Law Enforcement is not self-incriminating and is not a Fifth amendment violation. As has been held before if giving your blood, hair etc is not a fifth amendment violation how is giving your name a Fifth amendment violation. Many may not like it but NW is one of the states that has stop and identify laws.

Phil should have done his research before he decided to go to NM to Flex his Rights.

FB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.