FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID
Old May 28, 2010, 1:43 pm
Firebug4

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I don't understand why you keep referring to me playing a game. I have not played a game with anyone.

I still believe that Phil was properly identified to the police.

Besides, on the audio recording the police officer said he was arresting Phil for being stupid, not for lack of identification.
The you I am referring to is the collective use of the word. The collective use is referring to the public at large.

You can believe what you want to believe. However, it appears to be in compliance with the law in NM you as an individual have to identify yourself to law enforcement not have someone else do it for you.

I tend to agree with the officer. Mr Mecok was being stupid. He entered into this encounter without a full understanding of what is required of him under Albuquerque NM law. He understood his standing with TSA just fine. However, once it was escalated and NM Law Enforcement got involved it changed things considerably. To at the very least to avoid the charge of concealing identity all he had to do was verbally give his name. He chose not to do that. It is unwise to play the flex your rights game unless you have a clear understanding of the laws and procedures in place at the venue you plan to flex your rights at. You do not gain this understanding via internet forums. You do your research, in this case, with a competent criminal lawyer in the area that you intend to make your point BEFORE you do anything else.

FB