Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2010, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MrClean
Undoubtedly that and/or other arguments will be made. Still seems straightforward to me. In any event, I believe it's a bad idea to not at least say your name when asked by a policeman to id yourself.
It often is; however, I didn't actually see any spot in the transcript where a police officer asked him to identify himself verbally.
Old May 23, 2010, 10:41 pm

Info from the Identity Project

“Freedom Flyer” Phil Mocek to go on trial June 14th in Albuquerque

FAQ: State of New Mexico v. Phillip Mocek (PDF)
Old May 24, 2010, 7:29 am
Suspended

It's interesting to note that, AFAIK, Phil has not yet received a civil fine for interfering with the screening process. Perhaps TSA is waiting for the outcome of the trial, as happened with the applesauce incident, before fining him.

Or is TSA required (not that they would pay attention) to wait until the "criminal" case has been completed before hitting him with a fine?
Old May 24, 2010, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm curious, TSA seems to require ID or a person is subjected to an invasive interview but the charges against Phil seem to be local issues and do not address TSA requiring ID.

Am I missing something here or will TSA skate out of this completely and the TSA ID issues will go unanswered?
Old May 24, 2010, 8:32 am

if it's optional, it's not a requirement

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA seems to require ID or a person is subjected to an invasive interview
Assuming that by "require ID" you meant "require the presentation by passengers of identity credentials as a condition of passing the TSA checkpoint." everything I've read indicates that there is no such requirement. When there's an alternative, it's not a requirement. The options seem to be: A) frisked, luggage thoroughly searched by hand, interrogated, and required to cooperate with TSA staff, or B) credentials shown, metal detector walked through, luggage X-rayed.

Trial date: Monday, June 14, 2010, 9:30 a.m.
Court: Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court
Case number: CR 25737/09 (For details, go to the court's search page, complete the CAPTCHA, then search for criminal case 2573709)
Judge: Julie N. Altwies
Defense attorneys: Nancy Hollander, Molly Schmidt-Nowara
Charges:
  1. New Mexico Revised Code 30-20-1: Disorderly conduct
  2. Albuquerque Code of Ordinances 12-2-16: Concealing identity with intent to obstruct
  3. Albuquerque Code of Ordinances 12-2-19: Resisting, obstructing, or refusing to obey a lawful order of a police officer
  4. Albuquerque Code of Ordinances 12-2-3: Criminal trespass
Old May 24, 2010, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmocek
Assuming that by "require ID" you meant "require the presentation by passengers of identity credentials as a condition of passing the TSA checkpoint." everything I've read indicates that there is no such requirement. When there's an alternative, it's not a requirement. The options seem to be: A) frisked, luggage thoroughly searched by hand, interrogated, and required to cooperate with TSA staff, or B) credentials shown, metal detector walked through, luggage X-rayed.

Trial date: Monday, June 14, 2010, 9:30 a.m.
Court: Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court
Case number: CR 25737/09 (For details, go to the court's search page, complete the CAPTCHA, then search for criminal case 2573709)
Judge: Julie N. Altwies
Defense attorneys: Nancy Hollander, Molly Schmidt-Nowara
Charges:
  1. New Mexico Revised Code 30-20-1: Disorderly conduct
  2. Albuquerque Code of Ordinances 12-2-16: Concealing identity with intent to obstruct
  3. Albuquerque Code of Ordinances 12-2-19: Resisting, obstructing, or refusing to obey a lawful order of a police officer
  4. Albuquerque Code of Ordinances 12-2-3: Criminal trespass
As I recall TSA has said that if you have ID on your person you have to show it. If no ID on your person then the other process. Have they backed off that position?

Who did you conceal your identity from according to the complaint? TSA or some other entity?
Old May 24, 2010, 9:05 am

As I recall TSA has said that if you have ID on your person you have to show it.
I've never heard or read that. See this post for a run-down of what I know about related policies.

Who did you conceal your identity from according to the complaint? TSA or some other entity?
Please read the complaint (PDF; 5.8 MB) and judge for yourself.
Old May 24, 2010, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never heard or read that. See this post for a run-down of what I know about related policies.

Please read the complaint (PDF; 5.8 MB) and judge for yourself.
Do you think this will challenge having to show TSA ID?

Edit to add: The police refer to you as an offender. Had they already passed judgement on your actions?
Are you Guilty until proven Innocent in New Mexico? I think I would have that discussion with the attorney.

[QUOTE]
http://blog.tsa.gov/2008/06/new-id-r...-tomorrow.html

"What if you forget your ID? Is your vacation ruined? Are you going to miss your meeting? Are you going to miss the Elvis Costello show this weekend at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall? Not at all… If you simply state you forgot your ID, we will work with you to verify your ID, you may undergo some additional screening and will be permitted to fly.

On the other hand, if you do not cooperate and state that you're not willing to show us your ID, you will not be permitted to fly."

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 24, 2010 at 2:22 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old May 28, 2010, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Albuquerque really is an ID-crazy place. I checked in to the Albuquerque Marriott last night and, for the first time in many stays, was asked for ID. I looked at the front-desk clerk quizzically and asked why he needed it. He said that he needed to verify my identity because I was using a VISA card. Well, that's ridiculous, of course, and undoubtedly violates VISA's merchant agreement with the hotel -- and I said so. He called a manager and asked her to "come out to the front desk right away because a guest is refusing to show his ID."

A manager came out, and we had a brief repeat of the previous conversation. She thought for a moment, then told the guy to check me in. So far, so good, right? Well, we weren't done. When the manager turned to take care of another guest waiting in line, the guy proceeded to lecture me about how "happy" he is to show his ID because that protects him from identity theft! Uh-huh. I just looked at him, shook my head, and said, "Oh, the younger generation has so much to learn." That was the end of this strange little episode.

I have no idea how Phil will get an open-minded jury here!

Bruce
Old May 28, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
Originally Posted by bdschobel
When the manager turned to take care of another guest waiting in line, the guy proceeded to lecture me about how "happy" he is to show his ID because that protects him from identity theft! Uh-huh. I just looked at him, shook my head, and said, "Oh, the younger generation has so much to learn." That was the end of this strange little episode.

Bruce
Yeah because before you showed them your ID they had no idea of your address, birth date, drivers license and Social Security Numbers. Sounds like a good plan to me! They could never steal your identity with that information!
Old May 28, 2010, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...the guy proceeded to lecture me about how "happy" he is to show his ID because that protects him from identity theft! Uh-huh. I just looked at him, shook my head, and said, "Oh, the younger generation has so much to learn." That was the end of this strange little episode.
Although I agree with you 100%, between this guy's very common logic and what people are willing to put on social networking sites, "privacy" as I think we both define it is gone forever.
Old May 28, 2010, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Albuquerque really is an ID-crazy place. I checked in to the Albuquerque Marriott last night and, for the first time in many stays, was asked for ID. I looked at the front-desk clerk quizzically and asked why he needed it. He said that he needed to verify my identity because I was using a VISA card. Well, that's ridiculous, of course, and undoubtedly violates VISA's merchant agreement with the hotel -- and I said so. He called a manager and asked her to "come out to the front desk right away because a guest is refusing to show his ID."

A manager came out, and we had a brief repeat of the previous conversation. She thought for a moment, then told the guy to check me in. So far, so good, right? Well, we weren't done. When the manager turned to take care of another guest waiting in line, the guy proceeded to lecture me about how "happy" he is to show his ID because that protects him from identity theft! Uh-huh. I just looked at him, shook my head, and said, "Oh, the younger generation has so much to learn." That was the end of this strange little episode.

I have no idea how Phil will get an open-minded jury here!

Bruce
I've actually been getting that a lot at Hilton properties lately. Got it at the DoubleTree near RIC and the HGI at RDU.

I need to start asking about why they're asking for it.
Old May 28, 2010, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Superguy
I've actually been getting that a lot at Hilton properties lately. Got it at the DoubleTree near RIC and the HGI at RDU.

I need to start asking about why they're asking for it.
This is standard practice at every Starwood property worldwide - you'd tire yourself arguing the point at every check-in. Generally I just keep the license in my hand and they quickly glance at the name and that's it.

I could lecture them ad nauseum, but they would just ask the next guest for ID as if nothing happened.

Last night was annoying as the Westin clerk took the license and kept staring at the reservation for a long time - he was someone of a dimwit anyway, so I didn't push the matter but he was perplexed that my res name showed only my initials and my license has my full name - it wasn't as much thinking he had the 'big catch' as being completely confused.

I, however, am completely confused about how ID = Security and how glancing at someone's ID apparently 'clears' that person for access to gated communities, cashing out at Walmart, checking into a hotel, visiting your doctor, clearing airport security or a host of other places and situations where ID is requested.

Does the absence of, or refusal to provide ID make someone a danger automatically?
Old May 28, 2010, 10:01 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Firebug4
Reading Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada may shed some light on this discussion.

FB
Completely non-applicable. Phil Mocek was not reasonably suspected to be the perpetrator of a crime the police were investigating. Hiibel is actually a very narrow holding.
Old May 28, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
AI checked in to the Albuquerque Marriott last night and, for the first time in many stays, was asked for ID.
Remember, the hotel clerk is not a law-enforcement officer of any sort. It is perfectly fine to say to them that I don't have my ID, or I forgot it, but can I use my CREDIT CARD, which has my name on it?

Chances are, once you plunk down some plastic, they aren't really going to care about their SOP of checking your DL.

Last edited by cparekh; May 28, 2010 at 10:28 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.