Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BCH
Please record retention offers in this wiki in a structured form (in addition to posting to the thread):

Date of the offer [mm/dd/yyyy], the offer, how long you had the card and yearly spend)

To review older reports, click HERE.

__________________________________________________ _____________
Tips:

When you call, you MUST ask if there are any offers on your account. Don't ask for an AF waiver, ask if they can credit your account the $95 (or whatever your AF is) to your account. They cannot remove the AF, but they can credit an amount to offset it. If you cancel your card within 30 days of receiving retention bonus, then Chase may claw back that bonus Note that Chase has shortened the period in which you can close the card and get the fee refunded. It is 30 days for most (or all?) cards.

If you don't get a retention bonus, the card you are holding may have the option of a downgrade. Cards that are downgraded may be upgraded at a later date. For example a no-fee Sapphire product exists for downgrade which is not available to new applicants. Consolidated discussion of that topic is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...16-onward.html

If you have Ultimate Rewards points in the account you're calling about, try transferring them to another account before calling. For example, if you will ask for a retention on your Sapphire card, transfer the points to your Freedom card in advance.

Tax Issues: For tax year 2023, Chase included retention offers as taxable income on Form 1099-MISC, for anyone who had a total of $600 or more in reportable bonuses (referral bonuses + retention offers + special incentives but not including most sign up bonuses). If you expect to earn more than $600 in these categories with Chase, you may want to consider the taxation requirements if Chase continues to classify retention bonuses as taxable income. See this thread: Chase 1099 for referral & other bonuses: paperless, retention, etc [Consolidated]

RECORD OFFERS HERE (create categories for additional card types as required):

Sapphire Reserve

Sapphire Preferred

Freedom

Freedom Unlimited

Freedom Flex

Hyatt Personal Visa

1/16/2024, $50 statement credit, no min. spend required, had the card many years and spend under $500/year

INK Preferred

INK Unlimited

INK Cash

Ritz Carlton Visa
$150 retention credit in January 2024

British Airways Visa
Didn't ask for an offer and wasn't offered one. Mentioned hard to use benefits. Open two years, minimal spend. Closed

Bonvoy Premier Plus Business
2/15/24 - after annual fee paid, I inquired about retention offer. $50, send required.

United Club Card
4/3/2024 - Offered $100 statement credit after $525 AF posted. Cancelled the card.

Print Wikipost

Chase Retention Offers (2024)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 7:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, TrueBlue, SkyMiles, HH SM, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Would they be more willing to make a retention offer for higher or lower spend on cards? I have a Chase United Explorer card
Old Feb 17, 2024, 12:47 pm
CB0

Anyone have luck with Ink Preferred retention offers this year? Called a few times and didn't receive any offers.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 11:27 am

Programs: WN, UA Silver, Marriott/SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
United Explorer - Called 2/23/24 - Card opened 2/1/2023 - no retention offer - $5800 spend since opening
Old Feb 23, 2024, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by montumatt
United Explorer - Called 2/23/24 - Card opened 2/1/2023 - no retention offer - $5800 spend since opening
Did you keep it?
Old Feb 26, 2024, 5:55 pm
opq

I heard Chase retention offers dried up in Feb because of expected AF increases incoming. Anyone get a retention offer this month?
Old Feb 26, 2024, 6:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by opq
I heard Chase retention offers dried up in Feb because of expected AF increases ...
What would be the connection?
Old Feb 27, 2024, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Called to cancel my UA Explorer card and consolidate credit line to my CSR. Didn't ask for a retention offer, but agent I was transferred to make a confusing offer -- a $100 credit, and then I could later consolidate the credit line and wouldn't have to keep the Explorer open.

I have a few more days before I need to pay the $95 AF, so I accepted the offer. Assuming it posts, I will keep the card open until I have had a chance to use the two lounge passes. If it doesn't post in the next couple of days, I will call back and cancel. This is the second year in a row that I received what looks like a $100 retention offer. Last year spend on the card was about $7k.

Also called to cancel my Marriott Boundless. Here there was no offer (didn't ask since I wasn't really interested). The card was closed, and the credit line transferred over to my CSR. Two years since last SUB is coming up later this summer, so in August or September I will look at what offers for Marriott cards are out there.

Originally Posted by opq
I heard Chase retention offers dried up in Feb because of expected AF increases incoming. Anyone get a retention offer this month?
What card are you talking about re: AF increase?
Old Feb 27, 2024, 3:53 pm

Do you have to wait until your annual fee posts, or can you call after the 1 year mark? Also, what happens if you use the benefits on the card then cancel? Do they take them back? SW Priority card just got the 7,500 bonus points in the SW account yesterday which I used towards a flight not thinking that I was going to cancel, but still have not used the $75 credit that you get. I likely won't use the $75 credit as I don't want to get in trouble, but I've heard once the points post, its yours no matter what.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 2:31 pm
opq

Originally Posted by mia
What would be the connection?
If the AF is going up, no need to give you a retention offer since the old AF is already discounted.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 6:21 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Chase Ritz Carlton this morning (29 February 2024): $150 statement credit ($6863 spend in 2023, most of which was refunded from the $300/year travel credit)

Last edited by kerrigjl; Mar 1, 2024 at 3:07 pm
Old Feb 29, 2024, 7:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kerrigjl
....refunded from the $300/month credit)
I know about the $300 annual travel credit, but not about a $300/month credit?
Old Feb 29, 2024, 11:55 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Asked if there is any retention offer on my CSR with AF having billed on the first of this month and was told there is nothing.

I have the card for over 4 years and never got any retention offers. I will most likely downgrade this to a Freedom so that I can apply for a new Sapphire card and get a SUB as it's been over 4 years since I got one for this card.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 3:08 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Originally Posted by mia
I know about the $300 annual travel credit, but not about a $300/month credit?
Sorry, mis-typed.
mia likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 6:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by kerrigjl
Sorry, mis-typed.
$300 annual credit is not most of $6863 annual spend though. Just saying.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by friedablass; Mar 2, 2024 at 6:46 pm
Old Mar 3, 2024, 12:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by mia
I think you mean Ink Business Premier. Is there a Plus version?

-or- do you mean this discontinued card: Marriott Bonvoy Premier Plus Business Credit Card ?
sorry for the delay. Marriott card; I corrected my prior post . Thank you.

(didnt know it was discontinued).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.