Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BCH
Please record retention offers in this wiki in a structured form (in addition to posting to the thread):

Date of the offer [mm/dd/yyyy], the offer, how long you had the card and yearly spend)

To review older reports, click HERE.

__________________________________________________ _____________
Tips:

When you call, you MUST ask if there are any offers on your account. Don't ask for an AF waiver, ask if they can credit your account the $95 (or whatever your AF is) to your account. They cannot remove the AF, but they can credit an amount to offset it. If you cancel your card within 30 days of receiving retention bonus, then Chase may claw back that bonus Note that Chase has shortened the period in which you can close the card and get the fee refunded. It is 30 days for most (or all?) cards.

If you don't get a retention bonus, the card you are holding may have the option of a downgrade. Cards that are downgraded may be upgraded at a later date. For example a no-fee Sapphire product exists for downgrade which is not available to new applicants. Consolidated discussion of that topic is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...16-onward.html

If you have Ultimate Rewards points in the account you're calling about, try transferring them to another account before calling. For example, if you will ask for a retention on your Sapphire card, transfer the points to your Freedom card in advance.

Tax Issues: For tax year 2023, Chase included retention offers as taxable income on Form 1099-MISC, for anyone who had a total of $600 or more in reportable bonuses (referral bonuses + retention offers + special incentives but not including most sign up bonuses). If you expect to earn more than $600 in these categories with Chase, you may want to consider the taxation requirements if Chase continues to classify retention bonuses as taxable income. See this thread: Chase 1099 for referral & other bonuses: paperless, retention, etc [Consolidated]

RECORD OFFERS HERE (create categories for additional card types as required):

Sapphire Reserve

Sapphire Preferred

Freedom

Freedom Unlimited

Freedom Flex

Hyatt Personal Visa

1/16/2024, $50 statement credit, no min. spend required, had the card many years and spend under $500/year

INK Preferred

INK Unlimited

INK Cash

Ritz Carlton Visa
$150 retention credit in January 2024

British Airways Visa
Didn't ask for an offer and wasn't offered one. Mentioned hard to use benefits. Open two years, minimal spend. Closed

Bonvoy Premier Plus Business
2/15/24 - after annual fee paid, I inquired about retention offer. $50, send required.

United Club Card
4/3/2024 - Offered $100 statement credit after $525 AF posted. Cancelled the card.

Print Wikipost

Chase Retention Offers (2024)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Chase Retention Offers (2024)

Has anyone received a retention offer on the IHG Premier Business Card recently?
Old Jan 3, 2024, 3:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I have an old Ink Business Plus card that the $95 annual fee hit 12/1. I recently opened an Ink Preferred and have a CSR as well so I didn't see a use for this card anymore as I'm not into buying gift cards at office supply stores at 5x.

I kept forgetting to call and finally got around to it today. I did not want to close in order to retain the credit line so I asked for a retention offer or to product change to the Unlimited. I was told I need to be transferred to discuss retention but was transferred to the wrong department after having already been on the phone for over 15 minutes. Was supposedly transferred to the correct department but I wouldn't know since after 5 minutes of what felt like endless holding I just hung up.

Called back again and after being on hold for over 10 minutes finally got a rep and just went straight to asking just for product change to Unlimited which was completed. I was told that I'd be getting a pro-rated refunded of the AF and not a full refund which I was disappointed with but too bad on me for procrastinating.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:12 am

How long does it typically take for retention offers to post after being accepted? I got a $60 retention offer on my United Explorer card on 12/23 and it has yet to post. In the past, I seem to remember retention offers posting a few days after accepting.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ykk87
How long does it typically take for retention offers to post after being accepted? I got a $60 retention offer on my United Explorer card on 12/23 and it has yet to post. In the past, I seem to remember retention offers posting a few days after accepting.
According to my records:

2/1/2023 annual fee on Explorer card posted
2/24/2023 called to cancel or receive retention. Accepted $100 offer
2/28/2023 $100 credit posted
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:48 pm

World of Hyatt card - Several thousand dollars in spend last year, but no offer.

By the way, I asked to be transferred to the retention/cancellation department and was told there wasn't one now and that customer service could handle it. Called back and was told the same thing. Is this new?

(Is there a 2024 thread yet? I couldn't find it.)
Old Jan 11, 2024, 4:14 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Happy
Has anyone received a retention offer on the IHG Premier Business Card recently?
I closed my IHG Premier Business card a few weeks ago after the AF posted. There were no retention offers available. My spend had been nearly $8k over the previous 12 months.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I closed my IHG Premier Business card a few weeks ago after the AF posted. There were no retention offers available. My spend had been nearly $8k over the previous 12 months.
Thanks for the info. Ours also saw AF billed Dec 1st. We probably can use the GE benefit for renewal. That offsets the $99 fee. So keep it for 2nd year.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 2:20 pm

Southwest Performance Business - no offers. Open for 2 years, little spend. Will keep for the benefits.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 12:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ykk87
1-2 cycles, IME.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:44 pm

Chase Sapphire Reserve. Offer was on 1/16/2024. $150 statement credit offered and accepted. Opened card in 12/22. Spend < $5k.
MisterBill, levilevi and jdhnyc like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 4:28 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Hyatt personal card. Offer on 1/16/24 was $50 credit without any min. spend. I've had the card several years and never asked for a retention offer before. I spend under $500/year.
bladerunner6 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Does Chase ever give retention offers on Ink Preferred? Any DPs on it?
Old Jan 18, 2024, 7:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
In this thread I find INK Preferred offers ranging from $50 to $95: Chase Retention Offers (2021-2023)
Old Jan 25, 2024, 4:26 pm

United Explorer Card

United Explorer Card. January 20, 2024, $100 credit. Card holder 2 years. Around $10k/year. Credit appeared in account on 1/24/24.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 5:58 am

Programs: Kettle Class
Standard $150 retention on the RC Visa; this has to be the fourth successive year I've been offered this bonus. Mid-four figures $ spend in 2023.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.