Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton VISA Infinite. Available by PC from Bountiful/Boundless. Refreshed 09.22

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2022, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
The Ritz-Carlton Rewards VISA Infinite card was closed for applications in July 2018. The only way to obtain the Ritz card now is to Product Change from a Chase Bonvoy Bountiful or Boundless card, which must be open for a full year to be eligible for Product Change. Upgrades from free Chase Bonvoy Bold will not succeed UNLESS (a) the Bold card was obtained as a downgrade from another Chase Bonvoy card, (b) Or if you convert Bold to Boundless or Bountiful before switching once more to Ritz-Carlton within a few days of the product change (reports here)

Previous thread is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...16-2021-a.html

Ritz card information still available on the Chase SITE.

Feature Summary:
  • Annual fee of $450 NOT waived.
  • 6 Marriott points per dollar at Marriott properties, including former Starwood and Ritz-Carltons.
  • 3 Marriott points per dollar at restaurants, car rental companies and airline tickets purchased directly from airlines
  • 2 Marriott points per dollar on all other purchases (same as all Chase & AmEx Marriott cards)
  • Annual (anniversary) free night award good at any Marriott (including Ritz) property up to 85,000 MRs.
  • Automatic Marriott Gold Status.
  • Marriott Platinum Status after $75,000 card spending in a card-member year.
  • $100 statement credit for Global Entry after the Global Entry program application fee is charged to an eligible card.
  • $300 Annual (calendar) Travel Credit "Only the following types of non-ticket purchases qualify for this offer: airline lounge day pass, or towards a yearly lounge membership of your choice; airline seat upgrades; airline baggage fees; in-flight Internet/entertainment; in-flight meals." This does not happen automatically. It must be requested by phone or by private message.
  • Three (3) Ritz Carlton Club Level upgrade certificates each year for up to 7 nights each stay. The stays must be paid stays, excluding point redemption and award night. Use code Z34 to check for price; Z38 is club upgrade code and can only be booked by phone
  • Troon Rewards and PRIV ACCESS golf benefits
  • $100 credit for qualifying dining, spa or other hotel recreational activities. Use the credit with any paid stay at The Ritz-Carlton of two nights or more OR get a $100 hotel credit per stay at all Marriott luxury properties. Advance reservations are required. Valid only on non-discounted rates. Cannot be combined with any packages, discounts, negotiated corporate or group rates or point-redemption bookings.

Things qualifying/not qualifying under $300 annual travel credit
one member wrote: AA is now showing gift cards as "giftcard" rather than general purchase if the csr looks closely. Last year it worked for me, yesterday it did not and csr told me that's why. However, later the same day I also requested the credit by Secure Message (for "baggage fees) and it was approved. Very YMMV now but still doable. 2/10/2017

Southwest Airlines GCs work fairly easily. I've generally bought them for $150 and said they're excess baggage fees.

AS upgrades from coach to premium coach or first work.

Frequent Miler has a collection of data points of what has worked in the past. Link

Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton VISA Infinite. Available by PC from Bountiful/Boundless. Refreshed 09.22

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by opq
So word of warning for anyone thinking on upgrading. If you're close to the account anniversary of your existing card, no matter what the rep tells you, definitely consider waiting for the annual night certificate (the 35k certificate on the Boundless) to post on your outgoing card before upgrading!

I called to ask about upgrading from the Boundless to the Ritz card, and was told by the rep that I would be getting a complete refund on the $95 AF. I know a few folks mentioned a partial refund of the remaining Annual Fee, but with only a few months left until my anniversary date, this was what sealed the deal to upgrade right away. But of course, after all was said and done, I was only refunded a prorated amount of the annual fee. I called and despite escalating to an Account Supervisor, the only thing they could do was help me submit a complaint on my behalf. I hope they pull the tape of my conversation, but sadly, I guess this is a good example of how it doesn't seem companies or their representatives are legally bound by what they say.

The supervisor did offer to downgrade me again but with an upcoming trip, it seems to rushed to deal with a downgrade and upgrade again in a few months - who knows if the original 35k ANC would show up on the original anniversary...
Why would you expect to get a complete refund of the $95 annual fee? If you have had the card for a majority of the year I'd think you would have to pay for the card. A pro-rated refund is fair. Were you then charged the full $450 annual fee for the Ritz card? And have you received a free night cert valued at 85K?

Based on my understanding of the various data points that people have shared, I'd think the best time to upgrade from Boundless to Ritz would be probably the month before your anniversary so that you get the 85K cert immediately and not have to wait for many months to get the cert.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 10:52 am
opq

Yes, agree about what's fair and what isn't, though no, because the annual free night posts at the *end* of the card anniversary, I have not received it or taken advantage of it for neither the outgoing card or the new card. In any case, you'd think what's actually offered when you sign on is legally binding and takes precedent. Laws and regulations 101.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by mia
This depends on your individual history of opening Marriott cards at both American Express and Marriott.

My reading is that you cannot open Boundless while you hold Bold -and- if you close Bold you are not eligible to open Boundless until 24 months after you received the Bold bonus.
I read that as not being able to get boundless if you received signed up bonus within 24 months, not held within 24 months. Meaning if you have Bold and received SUB 25+ months ago, you only need to wait 30 days
Old Oct 14, 2022, 1:01 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Schnit
I....Meaning ....
We are in complete agreement.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by opq
the annual free night posts at the *end* of the card anniversary,
Actually no. When you originally signed up for the card you received a (typically) large sign-on bonus and you paid the annual fee. In my case, I signed up for the original Marriott card in 2007 and my sign-on bonus was 25K points.
On your first year anniversary, you are billed the renewal fee (currently $95) and in return Chase gives you a free night cert valued at up to 35K. In other words, if you have never changed your product then you would not have paid for the free night certificate.

Originally Posted by opq
I have not received it or taken advantage of it for neither the outgoing card or the new card.
It sounds like you are still in your first year of card membership if you have never received a free night award as yet. If this is not your first year of having the card and you did not in fact receive a free night cert at your last anniversary, then you should take a closer look at your account and work with Chase & Marriott to see what the issue is.

You will receive the free night corresponding to the product you hold at your next anniversary. (Bold = Nothing, Boundless = 35K, Ritz = 85K)
Old Oct 17, 2022, 11:55 am

Bold to RC

Originally Posted by LAX
I wonder if your experience or those successful reports of Bold to Ritz PC is the exception rather than the norm.

LAX
Hi - Another data point. I was able to PC my Bold to RC at the end of August. I originally opened my RC card in July of 2018 and downgraded to Bold sometime in first half of 2021. I was able to PC back and still have not been charged the $450 annual fee. For those who are getting card for the Priority Pass benefit you might need to call several times to get the cards. I had to followup three times with Chase, but eventually got the PP cards for myself and my authorized users. If you ordered PPs a week or two ago and still have not received them in the mail, call Chase and ask to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor should be able to give you your PP account number so you can at least download the app while waiting for physical cards to arrive. If they weren't processed, the supervisor can order them (again) for you and expedite the processing. Good luck to everyone, and don't forget to HUCA when dealing with reps- a great life skill I've learned from the pros at flyertalk!
crazyhorse likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 9:40 am

Has anybody other than yugi upgraded a card twice in succession? I current hold the Marriott Bold and would like to upgrade to the Ritz Carlton card. I have been unable to upgrade directly from the Bold to the Ritz. The only upgrade path I've been given is to the Bountiful. I believe with the introduction of the Bountiful, they have closed the direct upgrade path from the Bold.

My question is, will I be able to upgrade to the Bountiful and after a couple weeks, upgrade to the Ritz Card? Has anybody had any luck upgrading a card twice without waiting a year after the first upgrade?
Old Oct 20, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by theking
Has anybody other than yugi upgraded a card twice in succession? I current hold the Marriott Bold and would like to upgrade to the Ritz Carlton card. I have been unable to upgrade directly from the Bold to the Ritz. The only upgrade path I've been given is to the Bountiful. I believe with the introduction of the Bountiful, they have closed the direct upgrade path from the Bold.

My question is, will I be able to upgrade to the Bountiful and after a couple weeks, upgrade to the Ritz Card? Has anybody had any luck upgrading a card twice without waiting a year after the first upgrade?
You can always go back to Bold if it doesn't work within 30 days. Once I cancelled Chase card, then after a week or so I decided I want my card back, and they reinstated it.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
You can always go back to Bold if it doesn't work within 30 days. Once I cancelled Chase card, then after a week or so I decided I want my card back, and they reinstated it.
Thanks Yugi. I'll be sure to make mention of that when I speak to them about a product upgrade.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by mia
Apparently not, I see no mention of Bold in the disqualifications for Bountiful:
The new cardmember bonus is not available to you if (1) you currently have or had any of the following cards within the last 30 days, (2) you applied and were approved for any of the following cards within the last 90 days, or (3) you received a new cardmember bonus or upgrade bonus for any of the following cards within the last 24 months: Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card, Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express, Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card, Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express, Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card, Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Luxury Card, Marriott Bonvoy Bevy American Express Card.

I have all of these:

Marriott Bonvoy Bold Visa from Chase (acquired May 2021)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (acquired as SPG)
Marriott Bonvoy Business Amex Card (acquired as SPG)
Marriott Bonvoy Business Visa from Chase (acquired July 2018)

I don't think I can apply for any of the cards and get the SUB at this point. What am I misreading.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Has anyone been reimbursed for charging premium drinks in an airline lounge?
Old Nov 20, 2022, 6:03 pm

DP here. I just upgraded a Bold to a RC. Was originally a Boundless I had downgraded. I wonder if cards that weren't opened as Bolds are subject to different rules than cards that were.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Sheng25
DP here. I just upgraded a Bold to a RC. Was originally a Boundless I had downgraded. I wonder if cards that weren't opened as Bolds are subject to different rules than cards that were.
Thanks for posting the interesting DP. I have been trying to almost 5 times PC to Ritz from Bold for past weeks and the reps only see option to change to "Bountiful". I applied directly with BOLD card, seems like the algorithm could be looking at the product applied at first.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:42 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Hopefully this is a stupid question, but there's no risk waiting until early next year to deal with 2022 airline charges to max out the 2022 credit, right (i.e., we don't have to request the credit in the same calendar year as the charge)?
Old Nov 22, 2022, 3:45 pm

I was able to request 2021 credit in Jan 2022.
NYC Flyer and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.