Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Marriott denied for bonus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2020, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Chase Marriott denied for bonus

The Points Guy and all other sources state that you cannot have received a bonus in the last 24 months and cannot have received a card in the last 90 days in order to receive the bonus. I last got the bonus in 2018 from AX Brilliant and AX Bonvoy Business in August and no bonus from the Chase Bonvoy business that I received in August of last year as confirmed by Chase. Then when I go and apply, I got this warning:

Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:18 am

You apparently still hold the Amex personal Bonvoy Brilliant card. That also makes you bonus ineligible.

Last edited by pallhedge; Sep 12, 2020 at 10:46 am Reason: Struck through "brilliant"
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Read the credit card section of the Marriott BonVoy Guide by FM. It has handy chart for you to comprehend the needless complication created by BonVoy in order to keep 2 banks to issue their cards.

In particular - Are you Eligible for a bonus? As pointed out, if you still have the AMEX personal Bonvoy, you need to cancel it and then wait 30 days before you can get a bonus from Chase.

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...e/#creditcards
happychic likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pallhedge
You apparently still hold the Amex personal Bonvoy Brilliant card. That also makes you bonus ineligible.
Really? I did not see that holding that card made me bonus ineligible.

Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:46 am

I should have left out "brilliant" from my earlier comment. I will edit. The application thinks you have the Amex Marriott Bonvoy card.
Happy likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
The Points Guy and all other sources state that you cannot have received a bonus in the last 24 months and cannot have received a card in the last 90 days in order to receive the bonus. I last got the bonus in 2018 from AX Brilliant and AX Bonvoy Business in August and no bonus from the Chase Bonvoy business that I received in August of last year as confirmed by Chase. Then when I go and apply, I got this warning:

The Points Guy chart is wrong in not include the Ritz card, which caused failed applications. And it may be wrong in other ways too.

And it doesn't mention the most important thing: Chase does not check with Amex to determine this. Chase checks with Marriott to determine whether you're eligible. And Marriott may be changing the rules without announcing them, or getitng the rules wrong, or whatever, but it's Marriott, not Chase. That was the agreement that allowed Chase and Amex to both issue Marriott cards, Marriott woudl be the central decider of what would be allowed, and they are a company which in recent years (since the merger with SPG), wants to disallow just about anything they can which they feel makes it "too easy" for people to earn points, status nights, or whatever.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:50 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The Points Guy chart is wrong in not include the Ritz card, which caused failed applications. And it may be wrong in other ways too.

And it doesn't mention the most important thing: Chase does not check with Amex to determine this. Chase checks with Marriott to determine whether you're eligible. And Marriott may be changing the rules without announcing them, or getitng the rules wrong, or whatever, but it's Marriott, not Chase. That was the agreement that allowed Chase and Amex to both issue Marriott cards, Marriott woudl be the central decider of what would be allowed, and they are a company which in recent years (since the merger with SPG), wants to disallow just about anything they can which they feel makes it "too easy" for people to earn points, status nights, or whatever.
If one doesn't get the warning, can the bonus still be denied?

LAX
Old Sep 13, 2020, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch

It is really annoying since I am definitely eligible and do not have a chase personal Marriott card. My main objective was to hold off until now to get a Marriott personal card with a bonus and then as soon as possible, convert it to the Ritz Carlton card. But now I don't think I really know what my strategy should be.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 3:54 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It is really annoying since I am definitely eligible and do not have a chase personal Marriott card.....
Do you have a Marriott personal card issued by American Express?
Old Sep 13, 2020, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Do you have a Marriott personal card issued by American Express?
I have the Brilliant card that was opened more than 24 months ago and the bonus was received more than 24 months ago. Which by the chart means I am eligible.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

I just tried doing the application with the minimum information, without a Marriott account number, and a different email and still got the no bonus warning. I don't know what they are pulling on, because no one ever said that you could never forever and ever receive another bonus if you ever in the past had a Marriott Amex card.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 4:24 pm
mia

....I last got the bonus in 2018 from AX Brilliant and AX Bonvoy Business in August and no bonus from the Chase Bonvoy business that I received in August of last year as confirmed by Chase.
August 2020? That appears to be the problem:

The bonus is not available to you if you:

are a current cardmember, or were a previous cardmember within the last 30 days, of Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card (also known as The Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express);
are a current or previous cardmember of either Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card (also known as The Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express) or Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card (also known as the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card), and received a new cardmember bonus or upgrade bonus in the last 24 months; or
applied and were approved for Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card (also known as The Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express) or Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card (also known as the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card) within the last 90 days.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

That was TWO years ago, not 90 days ago.
You highlighted "bonus is not available to you if you....applied and were approved for Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express card ... within the last 90 days.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 4:46 pm
mia

Originally Posted by mia
August 2020?
That was TWO years ago, not 90 days ago.
That's why I asked if you meant August 2018 or August 2020. Let us know the outcome when they identify the event that disqualified the bonus.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
That's why I asked if you meant August 2018 or August 2020. Let us know the outcome when they identify the event that disqualified the bonus.
Yes I applied in July 2018 just under the wire and bonuses all of them in August 2018. How do I reach out to who about this? I don't even see a way to investigate the error on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.