Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 12, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Chase Pay Yourself Back Feature
Pay Yourself Back Rotating Category "Extra bonus boost when using UR points for payment" option

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently, the categories for pay yourself back are: grocery stores and dining at restaurants (including takeout & eligible delivery services), home improvement stores and select charitable organizations. Redeem for purchases in these categories made with your Chase card with Ultimate Rewards.

After each purchase posts, you have 90 days to pay yourself back.
+50% MORE POINTS VALUE
You'll get 50% more value from your points when you pay yourself back for eligible purchases listed below.

How does Pay Yourself Back work?
Step icon one
HOW DO I PAY MYSELF BACK?
First select one or more recent eligible purchases listed and hit "Continue" to go to the next step. Then apply some or all of your available Ultimate Rewards points to each transaction you selected and hit "Confirm & Submit" to redeem your points for a statement credit.

Step icon two
HOW DO I APPLY MY POINTS TO SELECTED PURCHASES?
Enter a dollar amount for each transaction, up to the original purchase amount, based on your available Ultimate Rewards points balance. Or select "Apply Full Amount" and we'll apply your available points up to the full cost of each eligible purchase.

Step icon three
WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY STATEMENT CREDIT?
Once you've submitted your order, it will take 2-3 days for your statement credit to appear on your account.

10/15/2020- Chase has added the Pay Yourself Back feature to the Ink Plus and Preferred Cards: https://www.chase.com/business/credit-cards/ink/inkofferscta?jp_aid_a=T_64096&jp_aid_p=chasehome_3/hero
3/10/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining and Annual Fee until 6/30/2022 (was set to expire 3/31/2022) for CSR
9/28/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining until 12/31/2022 (was set to expire 9/30/2022) for CSR

Print Wikipost

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by pallhedge
I don't see it that way. CSR is a better card if you have CFF as well. CFF is a better card if you have CSR as well. They enhance each other. Think of them as spaghetti and meatballs. Both good individually, but better together.
I’m surprised by the large number of CSR holders that apparently didn’t hold a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited both on Flyertalk and elsewhere. The enhancements to the Freedom line also enhance the CSR if you have all of them. I basically view the cards as 1 account. A CSR is still better than a CSP if you value the extra on PYB, priority lounge and other benefits, 3x travel, etc. For my purposes CSP works, but the Freedom enhancements made it more necessary to hold a Sapphire card, not less
Old Oct 7, 2020, 10:28 am
RNE

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Think of them as spaghetti and meatballs. Both good individually, but better together.
To me they're spaghetti at Luigi's diner versus pasta at Scalinatella. I'll take the former and save a bundle. Others can pay for the ambiance if they like.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I’m surprised by the large number of CSR holders that apparently didn’t hold a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited both on Flyertalk and elsewhere. The enhancements to the Freedom line also enhance the CSR if you have all of them. I basically view the cards as 1 account. A CSR is still better than a CSP if you value the extra on PYB, priority lounge and other benefits, 3x travel, etc. For my purposes CSP works, but the Freedom enhancements made it more necessary to hold a Sapphire card, not less
This is totally true, but some people definitely put a greater cost on having to decide with every purchase which card to use & keep track of bonus categories, etc, than the additional UR points you can earn having both. I don't, but my wife does, and no matter how hard I try, I can't convince her to get a Freedom & FU, and to stop just paying for everything w her CSR.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 2:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by physioprof
This is totally true, but some people definitely put a greater cost on having to decide with every purchase which card to use & keep track of bonus categories, etc, than the additional UR points you can earn having both. I don't, but my wife does, and no matter how hard I try, I can't convince her to get a Freedom & FU, and to stop just paying for everything w her CSR.
Maybe I'm just not smart enough, but it seems like at least once a quarter I use the wrong card. A while back, someone (was that you, RNE?) suggested a new super Sapphire that automatically credited points at the level of the best card to use for any purchase (5x for current Freedom categories, 1.5x for everything that wasn't otherwise a bonus category). That had a certain appeal to me, and you could just replace your wife's CSR with it and be done.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by serpens
Maybe I'm just not smart enough, but it seems like at least once a quarter I use the wrong card. A while back, someone (was that you, RNE?) suggested a new super Sapphire that automatically credited points at the level of the best card to use for any purchase (5x for current Freedom categories, 1.5x for everything that wasn't otherwise a bonus category). That had a certain appeal to me, and you could just replace your wife's CSR with it and be done.
That would be awesome! I'd pay a higher annual fee to make it worth Chase's while to offer this opportunity to completely prevent leaving any points on the table. Incidentally, what annoys me the most is when I accidentally use my 2x Citibank cash-back card instead of CSR for on-line purchases from foreign merchants & needlessly pay foreign transation fee...
Old Oct 7, 2020, 3:08 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by serpens
Yes, that was me. A "Sapphire Ultra" card would get rid of checkout-stress ("Which card should I pay with?!") Naturally, I'd expect Chase to charge a really hefty AF for such a card, but it may be worth it to many. Note: I'm not saying "Get rid of all the other Chase cards." The Sapphire Ultra would simply be another card. Oh, and it should be black metal, of course.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
This may have been mentioned elsewhere but the Chase website is now promoting Pay Yourself Back for CIP and Ink Plus. 1.25 cpp for shipping, advertising, and charities.

https://www.chase.com/business/credi...asehome_3/hero
mia likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 7:55 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
This may have been mentioned elsewhere but the Chase website is now promoting Pay Yourself Back for CIP and Ink Plus. 1.25 cpp for shipping, advertising, and charities.
Alas, my business doesn't do any spending in that category list. If only it included T&E.

RNE, vowing to have a little talk with Jamie about that when I'm at his townhouse for Thanksgiving.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Found out you can pay yourself back on vending machine purchases. Normally use my Chase unlimited but must have selected my CSR when I used apple pay to buy my diet coke out of the vending machine in our office the other day and it showed up as a PYB purchase.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 11:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Found out you can pay yourself back on vending machine purchases. Normally use my Chase unlimited but must have selected my CSR when I used apple pay to buy my diet coke out of the vending machine in our office the other day and it showed up as a PYB purchase.
I assume this is a vending machine at a grocery store and that, say, an upscale one at the airport wouldn't work.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 3:24 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
I assume this is a vending machine at a grocery store and that, say, an upscale one at the airport wouldn't work.
They often show up as dining.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Vending machine in a breakroom in my office building. Vendor is USA vending which is also the vendor that used to show up at the vending machine of the rec center of my former college.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by highops
They often show up as dining.
All the food vending machines that I have used showed up as dining, so that's why I used my CSR on them. The only problem with them is that sometime it won't charge because it thinks it is fraudulent because of the small charges. It has not happened lately though... last one was like 3+ years back.

Since Pay yourself back started, I only have to pay for 1 airbnb stay on the CSR. Everything else I charged are dining, hardware store, and grocery stores!
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those who still dream on the good old days about transfer partners would net a better value - well, just off the press, UA devalues its partner awards the THIRD THIRD TIME in less than 12 months.

https://onemileatatime.com/united-mi...-awards-again/Now we’re essentially seeing both of those policies stacked — not only did United devalue partner award costs by around 10%, but there’s also a higher cost within 30 days of departure.

In other words, a Chicago to Frankfurt MileagePlus business class award ticket on Lufthansa:
  • Used to cost 70,000 miles
  • Then it cost 73,500 within 30 days of travel (as of November 2019)
  • Then it cost 77,000 miles no matter when you booked (as of April 2020)
  • Now it costs 80,500 miles within 30 days of departure
And of course, LH generally does not release premium cabin space until close to departure time.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 1:47 pm

Not sure if this was posted in another thread or not, but 3x grocery store on CSR until 4/30/2021 with max $1000 spent on grocery per month. This is great combined with Pay Yourself Back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.