Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase 1099 for referral & other bonuses: paperless, retention, etc [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase 1099 for referral & other bonuses: paperless, retention, etc [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:17 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Since I earned 60k referral, can I decline 100 points to be below the threshold for 1099 reporting? Not trying to game the system or anything but I don't believe frequent flyer/ reward points are taxable even by the IRS so disagree with the whole concept of getting a 1099 for this.
It's not likely that you can, but legally the bonus is taxable regardless of whether you receive a 1099, just like bank account interest is taxable in all cases even though you usually only receive a 1099 if you earn at least $10 in a given account in a year. Of course, you're welcome to do with that information whatever you want.
PrivatePilot likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Referral bonuses are considered taxable income by the IRS whether you receive a 1099 or not. This is an indisputable fact. To be frank, you ARE trying to game the system.
That's your opinion but does the IRS state what the value of these points are? if not, then its well within my rights to try to not get a 1099 and declare the value as I see fit and the IRS is well within its right to dispute/ question that.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 12:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....within my rights to try to not get a 1099 and declare the value as I see fit....
You can do this even when you receive a 1099. Plenty of articles online explain how to dispute the amount shown on a 1099.
GUWonder and pallhedge like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:11 am

That's your opinion but does the IRS state what the value of these points are? if not, then its well within my rights to try to not get a 1099 and declare the value as I see fit and the IRS is well within its right to dispute/ question that.
What flavor referral points did you earn? I assumed UR but that's not necessarily the case.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:11 pm

What flavor referral points did you earn? I assumed UR but that's not necessarily the case.
Yeah, UR... where each point is worth $0.008 if used to pay on Amazon.com
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by mia
You can do this even when you receive a 1099. Plenty of articles online explain how to dispute the amount shown on a 1099.
Thanks. I see that now and is helpful.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
and $0.01 if redeemed for cash. I don't think any reasonable argument would be that a UR point would be worth less than a penny, but I'll leave that argument for somebody else. Just because you choose to redeem them for less than they're worth doesn't mean they're worth that lower value.

If you want to avoid getting a 1099 for referral bonuses my suggestion would be to not share your referral link. It's like abstinence, it's a fool proof way to not get referral points.
SpaethCo likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:22 pm

LOL! My bad for giving you the benefit of the doubt. Turns out I was right from the get go. Good luck.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:31 am

LOL! My bad for giving you the benefit of the doubt. Turns out I was right from the get go. Good luck.
What were you right about? If you can't add any value to the discussion, no one asked you for your moral opinion. If I plan to use UR points for Amazon.com purchases (and you have no idea if I do or not), then they are worth 0.008 per mile for me and not 1 cent. Simple as that. The question is how do you dispute their valuation vs yours in the easiest way. Others have pointed me in the right area so that's all I needed.

And yes, I disagree with the concept of taxing points at all but that point aside, if I do have to pay taxes on it, then I am not paying a penny over what I need to based on my valuations.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
I’ll add just a little bit to the wise counsel of our esteemed members above (mia, beltway, RNE).

- For high “velocity” (approaching churning) applications think very carefully about getting to 5/24. Once at 5/24 Chase will not approve ANY other cards, biz or personal, so if a once in a lifetime offer comes along you would not be able to jump on it. You obviously understand the concept. FWIW, I’ve was at LOL/24 for many years, (intentionally) got down to 1/24 a couple of years ago (sorry to write that COVID actually helped in that regard), approved for 10 Chase cards in the past 20 months only 3 of which are personal and I plan to stay at or below 4/24 until Chase changes the policy or an incredible unbelievable amazing once in a lifetime offer comes along.

- I’ve also thought about the (new) IHG biz and Hyatt biz cards as they do not add to 5/24, pulled the trigger on both when they were relatively new products. There are anecdotal reports that for a brand new credit card product Chase, notwithstanding anything written above by myself and others, is more liberal with approvals perhaps even including “waiving” 5/24. I certainly wouldn’t hang my hat on that but it’s something a high velocity potential applicant should be aware of.

- My theory (HT Anne Elk) is that with (relatively) new Chase Hyatt and IHG BIZ cards, it’s possible (if below 5/24) to “churn” a SUB once every 12 months with applications for the “same” card being once every 24.5 months, (hopefully for all of us) it’s a marathon, not a sprint .

- If you want to remain in Chase's good graces, no (zero, nada, zilch) MS (which is sometimes tempting to meet minimum spends). FWIW, I suck it up and pay the Fing 1.96% (federal), 2.25% (state) or 2.35% (local) juice* on estimated tax or tax due payments to help meet minimum spends.

Good luck .

(* “juice” in the fee/gambling vigorish connotation. 4% to 7.9% to “buy” the 4 or the 10 at craps table is usury .)
In addition, US residents should consider the impact on your taxes... yes, taxes...

Chase is reporting redemptions to the IRS and sending MISC1099 forms to US residents, when value exceeds 600 USD... once they report it, there is nothing anyone can do but to pay the tax.. .BUT here is the issue:

When someone is allotted a sign on bonus - i.e. they didn't do ANYTHING to get the points - CPAs view that the value of this is taxable..
BUT
When one charges the credit card, accumulates the points and THEN redeems the points, IRS considers that 'rebate' and not income earned, and is not taxable.

Chase does NOT make any distinction it appears between the bonus points (NOT Earned) and the regular points (EARNED) through card activity. Chase says "Talk to IRS"... IRS says "we don't know about your points program and whether or not this was a "bonus", so talk to Chase"....
Old Apr 9, 2022, 7:08 pm

Skytizen, Did this actually happen to you for credit card points or was it for earning points for referrals or a checking bonus? The IRS has said credit card points earned from purchases are considered a rebate and not taxable so you can correct this if it happened.

Edited to add, https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/a-02-18.pdf

Last edited by rrgg; Apr 9, 2022 at 7:51 pm
Old Apr 9, 2022, 7:37 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Skytizen
When someone is allotted a sign on bonus - i.e. they didn't do ANYTHING to get the points - CPAs view that the value of this is taxable..
New account bonuses for bank accounts are taxable, but new account bonuses for credit cards are not, and Chase understands the regulations. They could make an error, but it isn't general practice.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by Skytizen
… When someone is allotted a sign on bonus - i.e. they didn't do ANYTHING to get the points - CPAs view that the value of this is taxable..
BUT
When one charges the credit card, accumulates the points and THEN redeems the points, IRS considers that 'rebate' and not income earned, and is not taxable....
(Unsure why you quoted my post from another thread, it doesn’t seem germane to this discussion. Perhaps you would consider editing your post to remove the quote box.)

If by “sign on bonus” you’re referring to what is commonly referred to as SUB (sign up bonus, new account bonus, the miles or points one receives for meeting an initial spend (charge) threshold on a new credit card), a person certainly does DO SOMETHING to obtain those miles or points. They spent the time and energy to apply and then they charge the required minimum amount to the new credit card. Those points (or miles) are just as much of a rebate as ongoing charges, just at a significantly higher rate. (If a SUB is 60,000 miles for $3000 spend (charge) in 3 months, the SUB is an earned rebate at 20 miles per $ compared to ongoing earned rebate of 1 or 2 miles per $.)

BREAK

The entire discussion of taxability is interesting due to the fact that the UR Program Agreement specifically states “Points aren’t your property and have no cash value.” It’s inappropriate to income tax an individual on something they don’t own and has no cash value. Maybe some other type of tax, similar to renting a car or hotel room, but not income tax. Maybe that’s why airline miles and hotel points are rarely (if ever) 1099ed as most programs also specifically state that an individual does not “own” the miles or points.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 9:11 am
mia

Moderator explanation

(Unsure why you quoted my post from another thread, it doesn’t seem germane to this discussion. Perhaps you would consider editing your post to remove the quote box.)
I moved Skytizen's post from another thread, because this thread more specifically discusses Chase's 1099 policies.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 9:15 am
mia

“Points aren’t your property and have no cash value.”
No doubt Chase's legal department thinks this is true in some sense, but UR points can be redeemed for $0,01 each, in cash, and UR points -are- taxable at that rate if received for opening a bank account or as a referral bonus. The tax status has nothing to do with "doing something" to earn them, it is specifically related to spending.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.