Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase 1099 for referral & other bonuses: paperless, retention, etc [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase 1099 for referral & other bonuses: paperless, retention, etc [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2022, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
UR points -are- taxable at that rate if received for opening a bank account or as a referral bonus. The tax status has nothing to do with "doing something" to earn them, it is specifically related to spending.
Exactly.

The IRS considers a rebate or discount to be a non-taxable event. On the other hand, an incentive payment, such as for account opening or for referring new accounts, is taxable (regardless of whether worth more or less than $600).
Old Apr 12, 2022, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by mia
New account bonuses for bank accounts are taxable, but new account bonuses for credit cards are not, and Chase understands the regulations. They could make an error, but it isn't general practice.
They made an error... I have not opened a bank account in decades... and I did not get any bonus either..

The point is, once they generate it, you have NO option... Consider forewarned.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Skytizen, Did this actually happen to you for credit card points or was it for earning points for referrals or a checking bonus? The IRS has said credit card points earned from purchases are considered a rebate and not taxable so you can correct this if it happened.

Edited to add, https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/a-02-18.pdf
Happened to me.. Chase did not provide an explanation of how they arrived at the significant "income" they generated... they OUGHT to.
If you want to avoid an audit, regardless of the publication, just pay the tax was the CPA advice.

thanks for the reference to the IRS publication.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 1:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Skytizen
....Chase did not provide an explanation of how they arrived at the significant "income" they generated...
Which 1099 form did they send, and did it reference an account number?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Which 1099 form did they send, and did it reference an account number?
hi

they sent an 1099 MISC..

When I called as to how they computed the rather significant "income" they generated for me, the person had no clue and directed me to IRS.
IRS then, understandably, redirected me to the "bank" because they were the ones who generated the statement... !

Rgs
Old Apr 13, 2022, 4:40 pm

hi

they sent an 1099 MISC..

When I called as to how they computed the rather significant "income" they generated for me, the person had no clue and directed me to IRS.
IRS then, understandably, redirected me to the "bank" because they were the ones who generated the statement... !

Rgs
hi

an additional answer to the question.

They included an account number but that was a CREDIT CARD number that they provided as "account number" on the 1099 MISC...

rgs
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
... If you want to avoid an audit ... just pay the tax was the CPA advice. ..
Yup good advice.

In the real world, and certainly with the US Government and IRS, David rarely (if ever) beats Goliath. Little like: if you want to fly commercially, just wear the mask.

Last edited by mia; Apr 14, 2022 at 2:35 pm
Old Apr 14, 2022, 2:41 pm

Happened to me.. Chase did not provide an explanation of how they arrived at the significant "income" they generated... they OUGHT to.
If you want to avoid an audit, regardless of the publication, just pay the tax was the CPA advice.

thanks for the reference to the IRS publication.
I personally would pay for now but still write to Chase by paper mail. Ask them to issue a corrected 1099, document the points account, and reference the IRS. When they finally do, file a 1040-X. I got TD to issue a corrected 1099 for something odd, although it wasn't points.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 4:17 pm
mia

Originally Posted by rrgg
....write to Chase by paper mail. ....
Agreed. In this thread some posters received $25,000 1099's from American Express, and were able to obtain corrected versions.

Amex personal savings account offer - 25k MR points for a $25k deposit (begin at post 94)
Old Mar 23, 2023, 8:55 am
RNE

Does Chase send out a 1099 for bonuses on checking accounts?
Old Mar 23, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RNE
Does Chase send out a 1099 for bonuses on checking accounts?
If it is like any other bank it would be counted as interest on the 1099 for the account. So if anything more than $10 I would expect a 1099.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 10:31 am
mia

Chase says:
  • Bonuses are considered interest and will be reported on IRS Form 1099-INT (or Form 1042-S, if applicable).
https://account.chase.com/consumer/b...kingandsavings
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 9:46 am

Probably wishful thinking, but I assume you do not get two buckets for business and personal on referral bonus 1099 stuff. Meaning if you get 60k UR from your combined personal/ Biz referrals, you're getting a 1099.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Probably wishful thinking, but I assume you do not get two buckets for business and personal on referral bonus 1099 stuff. Meaning if you get 60k UR from your combined personal/ Biz referrals, you're getting a 1099.
No separate buckets -- biz cards are still tied to your SSN so it'll be combined personal+biz referrals
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 4:10 pm

Has anyone gotten 1099s from Chase for referrals under $600?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.