Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase 1099 for referral & other bonuses: paperless, retention, etc [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase 1099 for referral & other bonuses: paperless, retention, etc [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:41 am

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, that makes sense and ties to what Chase told me about the $600 min for the 1099-MISC.

BankDirect's now issuing 1099-INTs starting 2020. And I have received INTs from I think both Citi and BoA for miles bonuses associated with opening checking accounts. I went back through 10 years of taxes and couldn't find where I have received the MISC for miles. I hope I never need to trigger one to generate!!

I'm still not 100% sure (or convinced) as to exactly what Sapphire/ Ultimate Rewards points activity is considered by Chase to qualify as being valid to be aggregated to the MISC. So the only concrete answer I have received is from that customer service area I spoke with a few days ago. I'll go with that for now.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The referring party gets 20k Chase points for a successful applicant, all while the applicant gets 100k points upon meeting the SUB requirement to get the 100k points. And sometimes the referring party may share some of the rewards of the loyalty program game even from those referral bonus points.

The referring party’s points may come with a tax liability, so factor that in.
I've never seen Chase send out 1099's for receiving referral UR. Do you have empirical evidnce of this? I've received a lot of referral UR and never received a 1099.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by philemer
I've never seen Chase send out 1099's for receiving referral UR. Do you have empirical evidnce of this? I've received a lot of referral UR and never received a 1099.
I personally am a data point and I've seen many others. Chase has been issuing 1099s for referral bonuses, possibly over some threshold, for the last 2 years.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by pallhedge
I personally am a data point and I've seen many others. Chase has been issuing 1099s for referral bonuses, possibly over some threshold, for the last 2 years.
Thank you for sharing that data point. Do they only send out 1099s if you've earned 60K, or more, UR pts? If so, that's probably why I've never received one. My referral bonuses, per year, are between 20K>40K.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 9:04 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Thank you for sharing that data point. Do they only send out 1099s if you've earned 60K, or more, UR pts? If so, that's probably why I've never received one. My referral bonuses, per year, are between 20K>40K.
I had 10K UR in referral bonuses in 2020 and did not get a 1099 (and waited and looked for it, expecting it, but it did not come).
Old Jun 30, 2021, 9:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I would expect $600 equivalent — meaning 60k points — to have been the threshold for a 1099 being generated by Chase, but that’s just my guess. With 3 referrals for this card currently and the ability to cash out points to settle account charges at better than a cent per redeemed point, the referral credit’s taxability is something to factor. Also, something more to factor is this: the absence of a 1099 for a referral credit doesn’t necessarily mean that the referral credit is non-taxable.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 12:07 pm

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
DP: Just received a 1099 from Chase for retention offers >$600.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:25 pm

I got my 1099s today and yesterday. Chase issued one to my home address for personal chase card referrals, another to my business address for business card referrals (with my personal SSN rather than business TIN). I was REALLY successful in getting friends that are fellow business owners to sign up for cards- my personal 1099 MISC was $850 and business was $2400! (I also got 1099MISC from amex for $1650).

Yes, I got about 200,000 UR points, 100,000 Southwest points and 165,000 AMEX points woohoo! Both banks broke it down by the card the referral was from. If you have all three chase ink business cards, you can generate up to five referrals per year for each, for a total of 15- the 5 referrals per year isn’t limited across all three cards.

Last edited by mia; Feb 5, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
I received a 1099-Misc as well. The agent said it was based on if you redeemed more than $600 in goods or services. When I told them I didnt redeem a single point, they opened up an inquiry to look into it. I did receive 3 referrals for 20k each but they are still sitting in the account. Hopefully this resolves itself but I don't want to get a 1099 now and then again when I redeem!
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:55 pm

Why exactly are referral bonuses taxable when earned?
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
I received a 1099-Misc as well. The agent said it was based on if you redeemed more than $600 in goods or services. When I told them I didnt redeem a single point, they opened up an inquiry to look into it. I did receive 3 referrals for 20k each but they are still sitting in the account. Hopefully this resolves itself but I don't want to get a 1099 now and then again when I redeem!
The agent was misinformed. It is considered income when you earn, not redeem, referral bonus points.
GUWonder, SPN Lifer, RNE and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
The agent was misinformed. It is considered income when you earn, not redeem, referral bonus points.
Since I earned 60k referral, can I decline 100 points to be below the threshold for 1099 reporting? Not trying to game the system or anything but I don't believe frequent flyer/ reward points are taxable even by the IRS so disagree with the whole concept of getting a 1099 for this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Why exactly are referral bonuses taxable when earned?
For the same reason your paycheck is taxable when earned and not when spent.
RNE, krazykanuck and mroseman13 like this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Since I earned 60k referral, can I decline 100 points to be below the threshold for 1099 reporting? Not trying to game the system or anything but I don't believe frequent flyer/ reward points are taxable even by the IRS so disagree with the whole concept of getting a 1099 for this.
Frequent Flier miles / reward points earned on spend are considered a non taxable rebate. Frequent Flier miles / reward points earned for referrals are considered taxable income as there is no spend associated.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:00 am

Referral bonuses are considered taxable income by the IRS whether you receive a 1099 or not. This is an indisputable fact. To be frank, you ARE trying to game the system.
GUWonder, cjw2001 and bgriff like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.