Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Contactless Cards (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
So I received a replacement CSR, contactless and metal.

It has the contactless logo on both sides. Tested it at a vending machine this morning, it works whether I tap the front or the back. I notice it works better if i tap it closer to where the actual EMV chip is though.

I'm very happy with the replacement, it will be very useful for future international trips
Glad to hear that they fixed that issue! For me I'm not sure it's worth requesting another replacement since it's not a huge hassle to make sure the back of the card is facing the terminal--but definitely an improvement in convenience nonetheless. ^
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Glad to hear that they fixed that issue! For me I'm not sure it's worth requesting another replacement since it's not a huge hassle to make sure the back of the card is facing the terminal--but definitely an improvement in convenience nonetheless. ^
The original card was a non-contactless one, so I would have been happy even with only being able to tap the back.

Did you bring your old card to a branch or mail it back in the provided envelope?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The original card was a non-contactless one, so I would have been happy even with only being able to tap the back.

Did you bring your old card to a branch or mail it back in the provided envelope?
Mailed it back. No problems with fraud.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:30 pm

So I received a replacement CSR, contactless and metal.

It has the contactless logo on both sides. Tested it at a vending machine this morning, it works whether I tap the front or the back. I notice it works better if i tap it closer to where the actual EMV chip is though.

I'm very happy with the replacement, it will be very useful for future international trips
so it has a contactless logo in the front like this?
https://creditcards.chase.com/K-Mark...m_card_alt.png

hmm, mine didn't... didnt test using the front for contactless, will try next time
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage
so it has a contactless logo in the front like this?
https://creditcards.chase.com/K-Mark...m_card_alt.png

hmm, mine didn't... didnt test using the front for contactless, will try next time
It has the logo on the front by the EMV chip and the back in the lower right corner.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Originally Posted by paperwastage
i got my csr replacement a week ago

metal sandwiched with plastic, contacltess logo and numbers at back

old metal CSR: CompoSecure 193767-1 08/16 4147-26-370-20

new metal CSR w/ contacltess: 10487 CS 10/18 4147-36-370-00
I checked my plastic replacement CSR contactless that I got a week ago and card stock is: 180858H 09/18 4147-36-170-00. It has the contactless icon only on the back (lower right corner).

So looking at the dates, seems like in 9/18 they were using plastic then the 10/18 cards they started using metal again.

I wonder how I can get the metal contactless? The plastic contactless I have, I requested just a few weeks ago.. so maybe I should wait a few months for them to burn through the 09/18 cardstock?

For whatever reason -- different thickness or stiffness compared to my metal CSR -- it's harder to grab in my stack of cards in my wallet. Doesn't stick out as much compared to the other cards.

Last edited by jfidler; Mar 25, 2019 at 8:38 pm Reason: Fixed cardstock number typo
Old May 25, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
To follow up on my previous post, my plastic contactless CSR is already showing a lot of signs of wear (raised number "ink" half rubbed off, lots of scratches on the back) so I called Chase to request a metal contactless CSR and pointed out how "my friend" (ok, previous poster in this thread) has a metal contactless CSR. The rep I spoke with said no problem, and they'll mail out a metal contactless CSR.

It showed up yesterday, and it's another plastic contactless CSR. 09/18 cardstock again. Any suggestions on how to get the metal contactless CSR? Just request a third time, or wait a few more months for 09/18 cardstock to be depleted?

I really like the contactless and use it a lot, but I also like the thickness and durability of the metal card.
Old May 25, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfidler
To follow up on my previous post, my plastic contactless CSR is already showing a lot of signs of wear (raised number "ink" half rubbed off, lots of scratches on the back) so I called Chase to request a metal contactless CSR and pointed out how "my friend" (ok, previous poster in this thread) has a metal contactless CSR. The rep I spoke with said no problem, and they'll mail out a metal contactless CSR.

It showed up yesterday, and it's another plastic contactless CSR. 09/18 cardstock again. Any suggestions on how to get the metal contactless CSR? Just request a third time, or wait a few more months for 09/18 cardstock to be depleted?

I really like the contactless and use it a lot, but I also like the thickness and durability of the metal card.
I'd lean towards calling them again and explaining the situation. There's no guarantee that simply requesting another replacement will do the trick if there's something in their system that's causing your account to always get plastic cards.

Speaking of wear, the contactless on my Freedom card stopped working so I had to request a replacement. Has anyone else experienced premature failures like that? I don't remember ever mishandling the card or bending it at all.
Old May 25, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by tmiw
Speaking of wear, the contactless on my Freedom card stopped working so I had to request a replacement. Has anyone else experienced premature failures like that? I don't remember ever mishandling the card or bending it at all.
Perhaps I am not shocked that you were able to wear out the chip with your contactless use, but maybe there are some untested rfid aspects that you figured out. Because I only use my Freedom at category stores and a few Chase Offers, I just don't have the usage volume.

Is it possible a rogue terminal sent a strange or too strong signal to the card during use to zap it? Seems like some call it detuning.
https://www.rfidjournal.com/blogs/experts/entry?10719
Old May 25, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rasheed
Perhaps I am not shocked that you were able to wear out the chip with your contactless use, but maybe there are some untested rfid aspects that you figured out. Because I only use my Freedom at category stores and a few Chase Offers, I just don't have the usage volume.

Is it possible a rogue terminal sent a strange or too strong signal to the card during use to zap it? Seems like some call it detuning.
https://www.rfidjournal.com/blogs/experts/entry?10719
I don't think that's likely. Per the article, detuning happens with UHF tags (which contactless cards and Apple/Google Pay aren't). I'm thinking it's something related to getting one of the first cards and the bugs that result.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Just ordered CSR replacement cards which will be contactless. Look forward to receiving them in a week or so.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Received my replacement Freedom card yesterday and can confirm that contactless at Sprouts works fine. ^ Hopefully the contactless portion survives longer than with the previous card.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:22 am

Just received the updated Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Chase credit card and the card design has also switched from metal to plastic. For comparison the equivalent product from Amex, the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card is metal, so perhaps it's time to switch to Amex.

Last edited by SouthernCross; Jun 2, 2019 at 8:52 am
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:06 pm

CFU - no go

Called today, per the Chase Contactless FAQ, to request a contactless version of my Chase Freedom Unlimited. 2 reps (executive line) told me it was impossible as I do not have that option in my profile. I argued, but then realized I was getting nowhere. So I guess I will have to wait until Chase proactively sends out a contactless version before my 2023 expiry, and in the meantime, continue using my Amex for contactless.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcrombie
Called today, per the Chase Contactless FAQ, to request a contactless version of my Chase Freedom Unlimited. 2 reps (executive line) told me it was impossible as I do not have that option in my profile. I argued, but then realized I was getting nowhere. So I guess I will have to wait until Chase proactively sends out a contactless version before my 2023 expiry, and in the meantime, continue using my Amex for contactless.
Request a replacement online using the "damaged" option. I've yet to hear of a case where that didn't work for a card that Chase supports contactless on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.