Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Contactless Cards (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christianj
I think it's stupid of Chase to run a new commercial with Kevin Hart using his contactless FU card when the majority of cardholders don't even have the cards.
Just got mine yesterday.

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
In the UK where more than half of card transactions are contactless, tapping the physical card is far more popular than using the Apple/Google pay on the phone. It's only anecdotal, but it shows greater consumer acceptance of contactless using a card
I use Apply Pay when possible as it's more convenient/accessible than getting my card from my wallet.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I opened a CFU account last August and they have not sent me a new card. The one I have is not contactless (though I use Apple Pay with it whenever I can).
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat.
Chase Sapphire Reserve Contactless Card

I requested a new CSR last week because the front of the card was peeling away from the metal.

The replacement card looks a little different and is definitely lighter - perhaps the same as the new Amex Gold, perhaps a little lighter. Most surprising that it is contactless. I hadn’t seen anything about this from Chase, so maybe they are slowly rolling it out?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LobsterSFO
I requested a new CSR last week because the front of the card was peeling away from the metal.

The replacement card looks a little different and is definitely lighter - perhaps the same as the new Amex Gold, perhaps a little lighter. Most surprising that it is contactless. I hadn’t seen anything about this from Chase, so maybe they are slowly rolling it out?
They publicly announced it last year. All of their cards (including debit) will eventually have it available this year; it may take until all cards expire before everyone gets one, though apparently Chase has replaced some cards earlier than expected without users requesting it.

Anyway, the one thing I wish the CSR supported was being able to tap either side. However, I guess that's just a limitation of metal cards (or they didn't want to pay to have another coil on the front as well as the back).
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
[/left]

Anyway, the one thing I wish the CSR supported was being able to tap either side. However, I guess that's just a limitation of metal cards (or they didn't want to pay to have another coil on the front as well as the back).
are there any metal cards that do both sides for contactless?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
are there any metal cards that do both sides for contactless?
Honestly I was pretty sure contactless was impossible for metal cards before, so who knows?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Honestly I was pretty sure contactless was impossible for metal cards before, so who knows?
My Amex Plat, which is metal on the front but has a thin plastic overlay on the back, seems to work regardless of how I tap it against the reader (front or back).
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
My Amex Plat, which is metal on the front but has a thin plastic overlay on the back, seems to work regardless of how I tap it against the reader (front or back).
Maybe it depends on the terminal? I could have sworn that the CSR only consistently worked tapping the back, but that might be the places I'm using it.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
After reading this thread, I called into Chase and requested a contactless CSR card. It came today. Same expiration and number (including CVV) as before. Some differences:
  • No longer made of metal. It's plastic through and through. Feels kind of flimsy and lightweight compared to the CSR I'm used to.
  • Card number is on the front. My old CSR it was on the back.
  • No longer has 'Chase" on the front, but instead just their logo.
  • Back lower right corner has the NFC/contactless symbol.
I'm guessing since it's plastic, I can use the contactless feature on either side of the card when tapping.

Anyone know if CSR will be getting rid of the metal cards entirely then? I liked my metal card -- it had a nice feel to it.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfidler
After reading this thread, I called into Chase and requested a contactless CSR card. It came today. Same expiration and number (including CVV) as before. Some differences:
  • No longer made of metal. It's plastic through and through. Feels kind of flimsy and lightweight compared to the CSR I'm used to.
  • Card number is on the front. My old CSR it was on the back.
  • No longer has 'Chase" on the front, but instead just their logo.
  • Back lower right corner has the NFC/contactless symbol.
I'm guessing since it's plastic, I can use the contactless feature on either side of the card when tapping.

Anyone know if CSR will be getting rid of the metal cards entirely then? I liked my metal card -- it had a nice feel to it.
Weird, because my contactless CSR is metal. We'll see next time mine needs to be replaced I guess?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Weird, because my contactless CSR is metal. We'll see next time mine needs to be replaced I guess?
Could it be a cost-cutting measure? They plan to replace all CSRs with contactless this year as I understand it, which much be a big expenditure. I wonder if a bean counter told them to switch to plastic to save a few $$ per card.

Obviously this is not the end of the world, but I feel like a card with a $450 annual fee should be metal, just like AmEx Plat.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfidler
Could it be a cost-cutting measure? They plan to replace all CSRs with contactless this year as I understand it, which much be a big expenditure. I wonder if a bean counter told them to switch to plastic to save a few $$ per card.

Obviously this is not the end of the world, but I feel like a card with a $450 annual fee should be metal, just like AmEx Plat.
Maybe they didn't want to deal with people complaining about only being able to tap one side of the card? Though I feel they could just say to tap the contactless logo against the terminal to solve that.

(This assumes they are actually getting rid of metal altogether, which we haven't confirmed.)
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:14 pm

i got my csr replacement a week ago

metal sandwiched with plastic, contacltess logo and numbers at back

back corner right is the card stock

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Smo...R/td-p/4763018

old metal CSR: CompoSecure 193767-1 08/16 4147-26-370-20

new metal CSR w/ contacltess: 10487 CS 10/18 4147-36-370-00
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:19 am

Most likely a cost cutting measure.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:22 am

So I received a replacement CSR, contactless and metal.

It has the contactless logo on both sides. Tested it at a vending machine this morning, it works whether I tap the front or the back. I notice it works better if i tap it closer to where the actual EMV chip is though.

I'm very happy with the replacement, it will be very useful for future international trips

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.