Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom 2019 Q1 categories: Gas Stations, Drugstores, Tolls

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Walgreens drugstores were a Freedom bonus category in 2018. Reviewing THIS thread should answer many questions about the 2019 generic Drugstores category.
Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom 2019 Q1 categories: Gas Stations, Drugstores, Tolls

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by vanillabean
....Chase didn’t separate the shop from the gas. ....
Chase does not make this decision. The merchant does it, or their acquirer which is the company that transmits their card transactions.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by mia
Chase does not make this decision. The merchant does it, or their acquirer which is the company that transmits their card transactions.
Does it in some way make a difference to these two whether Chase gives me 5x or 1x?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:59 am
mia

Does it in some way make a difference to these two whether Chase gives me 5x or 1x?
No, the points are Chase's expense.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
In fact, one can argue that Costco Gas at 5x (works at pump just fine) and Costco Warehouse 5x (previous quarters) are more costly to card issuers because there isn't a lot of earned discount rate. I read that Costco pays in total .40% to Visa for accepting credit cards. But as indicated, all of the bonus rebates are coming from Chase.

There might be some exceptions out there such as when Paypal or Walgreens were promoted retailers, but I don't have evidence either way.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got lucky this week when taking my car in for a 30K service, and Chase didn’t separate the shop from the gas. Unlike the Costco store and Kaiser, where the pharmacy was given the 5x and the rest not. This is working out quite nicely!
Again, it's not Chase that didn't separate the shop from the gas, it's the service station that didn't separate its show from its gas when reporting to Chase.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:54 pm

I'm just satisfied that my gas station sells VGC'S.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:46 am

I read on another site that there is a Chase Freedom offer of 10% back on Crystal Cruises but I can't find it anywhere. Did anyone see this offer?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jkenn
I read on another site
Why don't you inquire there?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:02 am
mia

Second quarter categories:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...nt-stores.html
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by jkenn
I read on another site that there is a Chase Freedom offer of 10% back on Crystal Cruises but I can't find it anywhere. Did anyone see this offer?
Offers are targeted and vary by card. Just because some [Freedom] cardholders get certain offers doesn't mean every other [Freedom] cardholder will get the same offer.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:40 am

FasTrak (Bay Area) Tolls are NOT included Q1-5% Cash Back Bonus

I just got off the phone with Chase Freedom representative.
They listed only 3 Toll collecting companies on the bonus category email back in Dec, 2018 and didn't list all 5 companies names (yes, only 5 toll collecting companies are covered) with 5% bonus.
Well, Bay Area FasTrak is NOT included in 5 companies and I'm certain that FasTrak's one of the biggest Toll Collecting company in the United States and many card holders have changed their payment account with Chase Freedom Card for last 3 months.
I must say Chase Freedom Bonus category has deceptively advertised or announced that the category includes Tolls, but the actual companies they cover is very limited. And now the full list of covered Toll collecting companies is no longer viewable online.
If ever in doubt for the future of 5% category bonus that your local store or company is not listed in Chase's initial email, you should call or go online (while it's up and viewable). And check before you use Chase Freedom Credit card at the category specified. I personally don't like this sort of deceptive advertising/category announcement by Chase. I'm guessing most customers are not throughly investigate the list of companies.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:17 pm

Bay Area FasTrak worked for me in January.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:28 pm

Bay Area FasTrak is not covered with 5% bonus in Jan to Mar

Bay Area FasTrak worked for me in January.
You may want to check your statement carefully. It's not included on 5% bonus. You could go Chase online account and bonus section and see which spending was actually got 5% with highlighted with yellow Bonus sign next to the each charges. I was on the phone with the rep, and she clearly said it's not one of 5 companies that offer for 5% bonus of. And you might just have received 1% bonus on this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:45 pm
mia

It is possible for different individuals to have a different experience with the same merchant. In THIS thread there is a 2017 discussion regarding FasTrak , with different outcomes reported in various geographic areas -and- using different payment arrangements. The issue is different in the 2017 discussion, I mention it only to illustrate the complexity.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.