Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom 2018 3rd quarter 5% categories: Gasoline, Walgreens, Lyft

Old Jun 12, 18, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL

rumor from one of the credit card bloggers posted to youtube is that Q3 will be gas, lyft and walgreens.
Old Jun 12, 18, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by riphamilton View Post
rumor from one of the credit card bloggers posted to youtube is that Q3 will be gas, lyft and walgreens.
I have a hard time believing it. Everyone says they mimic discover, which is restaraunts for Q3.

also, they want to push mobile pay including Chase pay. I think they’ll have restaurants, some form of mobile pay, and one other thing.

I could be mistaken, but I’m pretty sure they’ve done drugstores as a category in the past. Why just Walgreens this time?
Old Jun 12, 18, 8:47 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Jm192 View Post
....they’ve done drugstores as a category in the past. Why just Walgreens this time?[/left]
When the bonus is for a specific merchant, rather than a category, it suggests that the merchant is bearing some of the cost. The ideal circumstance for Chase is to have Lyft, Amazon, Walgreens etc buy the quarter.
Old Jun 12, 18, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jm192 View Post
also, they want to push mobile pay including Chase pay. I think they’ll have restaurants, some form of mobile pay, and one other thing.
I feel like if they have a mobile pay category it'll just be Chase Pay or possibly Chase Pay + PayPal like Q2. Otherwise people might very well end up using the NFC-based ones instead.
Old Jun 12, 18, 10:15 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mia View Post
When the bonus is for a specific merchant, rather than a category, it suggests that the merchant is bearing some of the cost. The ideal circumstance for Chase is to have Lyft, Amazon, Walgreens etc buy the quarter.
The Lyft rumor is interesting. It that plays out, it's another shot at AMEX (given their arrangement with Uber.)
Old Jun 13, 18, 9:27 am
ck8

Programs: Delta SkyMiles GM/United Mileage Plus/Hilton Honors
Well it really only is Lyft, Walgreens and gas for the next quarter...Very disappointing.
Old Jun 13, 18, 9:39 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
Anyone who is new to Lyft should make sure they sign up to earn SkyMiles on their Lyft spend -- it's not much (1 mile / $ with a bonus on airport trips) but it's free and doesn't come at the cost of any other rewards, so why not.

But agree this is probably the most disappointing category in quite a while. (At least for those of us who live in NYC and don't have a car; I guess for most people gas isn't such a terrible category to have, though at the same time I don't imagine many people come anywhere close to maxing out the quarter on it.)
Old Jun 13, 18, 9:55 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
Anyone who is new to Lyft should make sure they sign up to earn SkyMiles on their Lyft spend -- it's not much (1 mile / $ with a bonus on airport trips) but it's free and doesn't come at the cost of any other rewards, so why not.

But agree this is probably the most disappointing category in quite a while. (At least for those of us who live in NYC and don't have a car; I guess for most people gas isn't such a terrible category to have, though at the same time I don't imagine many people come anywhere close to maxing out the quarter on it.)
Au contraire, mon frere. I suspect a great many people max out the "gas" quarters by purchasing gift cards from gas stations and then using them elsewhere and/or liquidating them.
Old Jun 13, 18, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
Au contraire, mon frere. I suspect a great many people max out the "gas" quarters by purchasing gift cards from gas stations and then using them elsewhere and/or liquidating them.
There's always a way to max out every quarter.
Old Jun 13, 18, 10:07 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by ck8 View Post
... really only is Lyft, Walgreens and gas for the next quarter...
Source? I see nothing here:

https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/calendar
Old Jun 13, 18, 10:12 am

When the bonus is for a specific merchant, rather than a category...
It reduces the numerous posts asking what is considered a qualifying 5x transaction.
Old Jun 13, 18, 10:16 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
True, and you can also do the same at Walgreens. But when I say "many people" I am talking about the masses, not the Flyertalk weirdos (said with love of course). I am pretty sure the vast majority of Freedom card users are not FTers who carefully max out the bonus categories and then don't use the card for anything else. Though of course such people also probably only rarely max out their bonus categories anyway. (And we know such people are the vast majority, because if everyone used the Freedom card like most FTers do, Chase would have discontinued it for being an unprofitable product ages ago.)

I am probably also being somewhat biased since living in NYC and dining out fairly frequently and occasionally having reimbursable business meals does not make me the typical customer either, so it's very possible that the typical Freedom card customer gets more value (without any gaming of the system) on a gas quarter than on a restaurant quarter.

As for source, this is up on OMAAT and TPG already.
Old Jun 13, 18, 11:26 am

Q3

The Chase Freedom Q3 5x bonus categories will be: Lyft, Walgreen’s, and gas stations. Keep in mind that you must first activate the bonus categories and then spend between July 1st and September 30thand you’ll earn 5x on the first $1500 in combined purchases.
Old Jun 13, 18, 12:34 pm

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...Lyft-Walgreens

https://thepointsguy.com/news/chase-...5x-categories/
Old Jun 13, 18, 4:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
On paper, this is probably more lucrative than restaurants. Walgreens and Gas Stations sell a bunch of gift cards that can help you max the 5%. Still though, I wanted to see Restaurants as my summer Restaurant (Bar) spend is higher. I guess it's finally time to dust off the Discover.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: