Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

2018 2nd Quarter Freedom Bonus Categories: Groceries, PayPal , Chase Pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
5% cash back on purchases up to $1500 during the 2nd quarter
Must activate the bonus online

Bonus categories:
  1. Paypal - Includes purchases made using your Freedom card with PayPal for purchases or sending money.
  2. Chase Pay - Includes purchases made using your Freedom card with your Chase Pay mobile wallet during check out.
  3. Grocery Stores (not including Walmart® and Target® purchases).
Print Wikipost

2018 2nd Quarter Freedom Bonus Categories: Groceries, PayPal , Chase Pay

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by lkar
I don't disagree with you. I don't do Kiva and also don't do grocery gift cards to money orders which I think are clearly a better deal than paying 2.9 percent. I wasn't trying to suggest there aren't better MS opportunities to earn the 5x. I was merely saying that for me, with three cards, buying 22,500 points in five minutes from my couch for $130.50 is great. I'd take it every quarter.
Check your math... My Kiva fun has cost me $2.19 out of $9500 invested (~30k UR points). $2.19/9500 = 0.000230, or 0.02%. If there's a better deal out there, please let us know. 22.5k UR points for $130 isn't bad by any means, but given my ratios with Kiva, that would mean $130 of "cost" would have netted you 1.7M UR points.
Old May 11, 2018, 7:08 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by KRSW
Check your math... My Kiva fun has cost me $2.19 out of $9500 invested (~30k UR points). $2.19/9500 = 0.000230, or 0.02%. If there's a better deal out there, please let us know. 22.5k UR points for $130 isn't bad by any means, but given my ratios with Kiva, that would mean $130 of "cost" would have netted you 1.7M UR points.
It is not that your math is wrong. But it is Kiva. I'd rather buy gift cards and other...
Old May 11, 2018, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Q2-2018 has been a busy month. I get 3 Freedom and 3 Discover. Grocery GCs have been the way to go. I can't do much with Discover restaurant in Q3.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA
If one use PayPal via the Freedom card to buy goods, do Chase's purchase protection and extended warranty benefit still apply?
Old May 12, 2018, 6:27 pm

For anyone who does a large amount of shopping at Walmart (groceries, etc), you can purchase Walmart gift cards on their website, pay with Chase Pay, and have them sent to you for no cost. I just maxed out this quarter with $1500 in gift cards this way. Chase flagged it as suspicious activity, but a quick call resolved that.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BHalper
For anyone who does a large amount of shopping at Walmart (groceries, etc), you can purchase Walmart gift cards on their website, pay with Chase Pay, and have them sent to you for no cost. I just maxed out this quarter with $1500 in gift cards this way. Chase flagged it as suspicious activity, but a quick call resolved that.
Walmart and Target may not be coded as grocery. Have to use Chase Pay...

Last edited by RedSun; May 13, 2018 at 8:09 am
Old May 12, 2018, 8:31 pm

The 40 UR points from Chase Pay is from a test run I did by purchasing a 10$ gift card online.

​​​​​
Originally Posted by RedSun
Walmart and Target may not be coded as grocery. Be careful.
They aren't, but that is the point You have to use Chase Pay online. So I'm effectively getting 5% on grocery through Walmart (even though they aren't coded as grocery).

Last edited by BHalper; May 12, 2018 at 8:40 pm
Old May 12, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott

The 40 UR points from Chase Pay is from a test run I did by purchasing a 10$ gift card online.

​​​​​

They aren't, but that is the point You have to use Chase Pay online. So I'm effectively getting 5% on grocery through Walmart (even though they aren't coded as grocery).
You can also use chase pay in store via Walmart app, which supports Chase pay.
BHalper likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Haven't read through the entire thread but I used my Freedom card for a PayPal transaction earlier this month for a foreign transaction ("HK" is in the description when expanded in online banking) yet no FTF was charged. Has anyone else noticed this? Does Chase hold off on charging said fees until the end of the billing period?

Anyway, I was okay with only getting 2% before but getting to keep all 5% would be a nice surprise. ^
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by tmiw
Haven't read through the entire thread but I used my Freedom card for a PayPal transaction earlier this month for a foreign transaction ("HK" is in the description when expanded in online banking) yet no FTF was charged. Has anyone else noticed this? Does Chase hold off on charging said fees until the end of the billing period?

Anyway, I was okay with only getting 2% before but getting to keep all 5% would be a nice surprise. ^
Admittedly, this is complete speculation on my part as I know very little about PayPal....but is it possible that your Freedom card codes directly as a PayPal transaction (and therefore a domestic transaction) instead of coding as the foreign merchant transaction? (Plus, doesn't PayPal charge you 2.9%, thus reducing the 5% by that amount?)
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Admittedly, this is complete speculation on my part as I know very little about PayPal....but is it possible that your Freedom card codes directly as a PayPal transaction (and therefore a domestic transaction) instead of coding as the foreign merchant transaction? (Plus, doesn't PayPal charge you 2.9%, thus reducing the 5% by that amount?)
My understanding is that the merchant pays PayPal's fee, not the buyer. It's different for money transfers, however.

Also, I've paid with PayPal for items from US sellers too and those transactions say "US" in the description. Of course, I'm not sure that matters much as you said.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
No issues maxing out this quarter with Visa, Amazon, and Chevron gift cards at Safeway.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Explorer789
No issues maxing out this quarter with Visa, Amazon, and Chevron gift cards at Safeway.
No problems maxing out the quarter just by buying groceries.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
No problems maxing out the quarter just by buying groceries.
True, but for me, it's easier to just max out the category in one weekend if I can and have one less card to carry around for the rest of the quarter or not have to remember to use the card at checkout. Easy to forget sometimes after a long day of work.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Explorer789
True, but for me, it's easier to just max out the category in one weekend if I can and have one less card to carry around for the rest of the quarter or not have to remember to use the card at checkout. Easy to forget sometimes after a long day of work.
One easy way is using Android Pay or Apple Pay at the Grocery store. If you have it set as your default card you don't even have to worry about selecting the right card as you just place the phone by the terminal and the right card is picked for you.

One downside to your strategy this quarter (which is understandable BTW) is that PayPal was included, so if for whatever reason you were buying something online later in the quarter at a store that is not in any category you miss out on the opportunity to get 5% back on a purchase you would otherwise never get that much back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.