Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

2018 2nd Quarter Freedom Bonus Categories: Groceries, PayPal , Chase Pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
5% cash back on purchases up to $1500 during the 2nd quarter
Must activate the bonus online

Bonus categories:
  1. Paypal - Includes purchases made using your Freedom card with PayPal for purchases or sending money.
  2. Chase Pay - Includes purchases made using your Freedom card with your Chase Pay mobile wallet during check out.
  3. Grocery Stores (not including Walmart® and Target® purchases).
Print Wikipost

2018 2nd Quarter Freedom Bonus Categories: Groceries, PayPal , Chase Pay

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:05 am

This is probably an old question. But does Chase frown upon buying say Visa gift cards from the grocery stores? Because this would help me to achieve my 2nd quarter bonus as well as I can use the cards while on vacation. I don't want to do anything that Chase may look at as suspicious .
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Caribgrl
This is probably an old question. But does Chase frown upon buying say Visa gift cards from the grocery stores? Because this would help me to achieve my 2nd quarter bonus as well as I can use the cards while on vacation. I don't want to do anything that Chase may look at as suspicious .
Do you buy gift cards a lot? Then they might notice a pattern and take action. But many people legitimately buy several hundred dollars worth of gift cards at once. So doing that once in a great while is probably not going to raise any alarms.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by snic
Do you buy gift cards a lot? Then they might notice a pattern and take action. But many people legitimately buy several hundred dollars worth of gift cards at once. So doing that once in a great while is probably not going to raise any alarms.
If anything I've usually bought restaurant and store gift cards but never VISA gift cards. I want VISA GC's to take with me on vacation.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:22 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I don't know if it plays out any differently for Visa gift cards, but I have bought multiple hundreds of dollars of store gift cards before (for example, when drug stores was a bonus category, I bought a bunch of Amazon and Target gift cards -- for personal use, not to resell -- at Rite Aid) without any trouble.

Given that the Freedom is limited to $6000 of spend each year it's probably hard to get so carried away as to anger Chase. Other cards with higher potential may be a different story.

That said, I'd still try to keep it to a few hundred dollars at a time and space it out if possible. A single $1500 transaction could raise some flags.
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:38 am

Yeah just looking to get two to three hundred for restaurants. Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:40 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Yeah just looking to get two to three hundred for restaurants. Thanks
Keep in mind that if past history is any guide, restaurants is very likely to be the 5% category for next quarter. But of course you could still get restaurant gift cards and use them this quarter, or save them for the 4th quarter or beyond.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:47 am

I have spent $1000 in one visit to maximize my Chase Freedom spend for a quarter early last year. Specifically, it was a quarter where gas station spend was 5x - I bought 5 $200 Speedway gift cards. I drive, so I always need gasoline!

This quarter, somewhere around June 25th or so, I'll top off this quarter by purchasing Stop & Shop gift cards to finish out my $1500 spend. ALWAYS allow a few days for the charges to hit your account!!
jjmiller69 and Caribgrl like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
Keep in mind that if past history is any guide, restaurants is very likely to be the 5% category for next quarter. But of course you could still get restaurant gift cards and use them this quarter, or save them for the 4th quarter or beyond.
Right. Just that we're going on vacation before the next quarter so that's why I need them now. One last...Will Best Buy allow you to use their GC's to buy VISA GC's? Just thinking this may not look so bad to Chase.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Visa gift cards, plural, yes maybe, depending on the amount.

One Visa gift card bought at the very same time as one or more grocery items, once in a rare while, probably not. (You don't want an obvious purchase amount like $505.95 which is a $500 gift card with a $5,95 activation fee. Something like $511.43 because you also bought some produce that's randomly priced would look a lot better as a purchase amount.) That'll look like you just did a big grocery shopping trip.

But try to repeat that often, and it might be a different story, because then it no longer looks like ordinary grocery shopping.

So if you really want to have it appear more normal, and yet buy multiple Visa gift cards, you have to swallow bigger percentage activation fees, buy buying lower-amount Visa gift cards (which typically have the same activation fees as $500 cards). Multiple purchases of a bit over $200 (again, with randomly priced groceries added in) are much less likely to draw attention than multiple purchases of just over $500.95, but you're paying more (percentage-wise) in activation fees to make it much less obvious to Chase.
Caribgrl likes this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 18, 2018 at 6:23 pm
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:57 am

Got it. Thanks for the responses.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:48 am

I believe that this advice is highly speculative. I have repeatedly made identical VGC transactions at both grocery stores and office supply stores, in identical amounts, often on the same day, with the same Chase card, and as frequently as 20 times in a month, for several years now. And no problems from Chase.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I believe that this advice is highly speculative. I have repeatedly made identical VGC transactions at both grocery stores and office supply stores, in identical amounts, often on the same day, with the same Chase card, and as frequently as 20 times in a month, for several years now. And no problems from Chase.
Same. My Freedom card activity this month is a series of $505.95 transactions at Kroger. What's it to Chase that I have a very ravenous and remarkably consistent diet?

Obligatory disclaimer that we all have varying risk tolerance levels, experience doing this, and histories with Chase. My Freedom card in particular I've been doing this for years.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
Many don't understand this very simple point. And if one doesn't understand it, one can't properly analyze the question whether paying $48.30 to manufacture 7,500 UR by using paypal makes sense.
Definitely doesn't make sense -- I've earned ~33,000 miles with Kiva (via PayPal), lost $2.19 out of $9500 lent... so I've "paid" $2.19 for 33,000 UR points -- MUCH better deal... and with this quarter's category being PayPal, this is a no-brainer. That $9500 doesn't include the $3k I'm in the process of sinking into Kiva over the next few weeks. Assuming the same types of losses, $0.69 for 15k UR points? Yes, please!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW
Definitely doesn't make sense -- I've earned ~33,000 miles with Kiva (via PayPal), lost $2.19 out of $9500 lent... so I've "paid" $2.19 for 33,000 UR points -- MUCH better deal... and with this quarter's category being PayPal, this is a no-brainer. That $9500 doesn't include the $3k I'm in the process of sinking into Kiva over the next few weeks. Assuming the same types of losses, $0.69 for 15k UR points? Yes, please!
I don't disagree with you. I don't do Kiva and also don't do grocery gift cards to money orders which I think are clearly a better deal than paying 2.9 percent. I wasn't trying to suggest there aren't better MS opportunities to earn the 5x. I was merely saying that for me, with three cards, buying 22,500 points in five minutes from my couch for $130.50 is great. I'd take it every quarter.
RedSun likes this.

Last edited by lkar; Apr 23, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
I completed my quarter today 2 500 visa gift cards in my Kroger. I did last week legal 500 purchases in groceries. Easiest 7500 UR ever................

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.