Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

2018 2nd Quarter Freedom Bonus Categories: Groceries, PayPal , Chase Pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
5% cash back on purchases up to $1500 during the 2nd quarter
Must activate the bonus online

Bonus categories:
  1. Paypal - Includes purchases made using your Freedom card with PayPal for purchases or sending money.
  2. Chase Pay - Includes purchases made using your Freedom card with your Chase Pay mobile wallet during check out.
  3. Grocery Stores (not including Walmart® and Target® purchases).
Print Wikipost

2018 2nd Quarter Freedom Bonus Categories: Groceries, PayPal , Chase Pay

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:23 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
My husband uses my Chase access on his phone. That makes it very simple to do Chase Pay on our Freedom card. He does have Chase cards where he is the primary but he has no need to access them on his phone so this works easily for us.
Yes, this solved the problem via the primary card account. Wish Chase would allow AU to add the card to the AU account. I know AmEx allows it. AmEx AU cards have different card numbers.

The only exception is the Chase Business employee cards. Employee cards have different card numbers.

Last edited by RedSun; Mar 21, 2018 at 3:56 pm
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
No need to use the physical cards. The merchant is grocery stores.
I plan to use my Chase Pay at ShopRite. Then I get double coverage.
You won't get double. And I hate Chase Pay. First, it doesn't work at self-scan, no option on the payment page. The cashier has to suspend your order (which takes a minute or so) and pull it up at the main self-scan register and you pay there. Also, when I tried doing two orders in a row at a regular cashier, Chase Pay rejected the second order, even if I exited the app and got a new QR code. Cost me a couple of dollars in UR because it was during their 10% promo. I can't imagine why anyone would use that POS app if they weren't paying us to do so.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Yes, the fine print indicates you cannot get double-up on Chase Pay/Paypal and groceries. They do indicate eligible on Paypal P2P though which is strange, but there are the fees to use Chase Freedom for P2P.

Unless Best Buy does something amazing, I can't see Chase Pay being much of use. And they only gave a discount on restaurants for that first use.

Lastly, how is Paypal in-store? Seems to be de-emphasized from maybe five years ago? Are there any interesting brick and mortar stores that would accept Paypal (essentially as a digital wallet of Chase Freedom)?

Rasheed
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:13 pm
Suspended

I never said the double-up, just that I get either Chase Pay or Grocery. It is fine is Chase Pay does not work since I still get the grocery 5%.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:40 pm
Community Director Emerita

I forgot that the new quarter is here and used Apple Pay at the local grocery store. Mind you, we're talking a purchase under $5, so an excellent time to learn. I take it that Apple Pay does not work this quarter? But I didn't lose my bonus since it was at a grocery store?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I forgot that the new quarter is here and used Apple Pay at the local grocery store. Mind you, we're talking a purchase under $5, so an excellent time to learn. I take it that Apple Pay does not work this quarter? But I didn't lose my bonus since it was at a grocery store?
You'll get the bonus because it's groceries.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:03 am

Money transfer to a friend using PayPal worked.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by alggag
Did a test run by paying at the pump at Shell using Chase Pay to see how it will work. Not too much hassle but I don't think I'll continue doing it that way after the bonus expires.
How do y ou do that at the pump? I have never seen that option at a shell pump
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lkar
Money transfer to a friend using PayPal worked.
You pay Paypal fees on credit card?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by miadukes
How do y ou do that at the pump? I have never seen that option at a shell pump
It's only at some locations right now:

Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
It's only at some locations right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGoaWVC5nQA
Wow thats cool I had no idea. I went to publix today to get groceries and just bought some shell gift cards for my weekend trip. figured might as well max out this way.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by miadukes
Wow thats cool I had no idea. I went to publix today to get groceries and just bought some shell gift cards for my weekend trip. figured might as well max out this way.
I think NFC is still faster but I'm not holding my breath on that being anywhere near common any time soon.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
You pay Paypal fees on credit card?
I’m not sue I understand the question. We have three freedom cards. I’m just going to use PayPal to earn the 22,500 UR for about $128 in fees. At less than .6 cents per point, I’m a buyer and I don’t have any opportunity costs. I already get 4.5x at grocery stores with amex everyday Preferred and 5x on flights with plat. Running around accumulating 5x over three months on three Freedom cards is a pain. I could save a little by buying gift cards at supermarkets I guess, but buying 22.5k at less than .6 cents per point in a few minutes from my couch is more my style. To each his or her own.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lkar
I’m not sue I understand the question. We have three freedom cards. I’m just going to use PayPal to earn the 22,500 UR for about $128 in fees. At less than .6 cents per point, I’m a buyer and I don’t have any opportunity costs. I already get 4.5x at grocery stores with amex everyday Preferred and 5x on flights with plat. Running around accumulating 5x over three months on three Freedom cards is a pain. I could save a little by buying gift cards at supermarkets I guess, but buying 22.5k at less than .6 cents per point in a few minutes from my couch is more my style. To each his or her own.
I know you are still on top. But you do pay 2.9% Paypal fees. If you buy VGCs etc, the fee is about 1%. You save $90 with your three cards....
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:21 am

Check your Safeway J4U account for discounts on Visa gift cards this week. This is a good time to use your Freedom card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.